Pulse and Glide for Gen 2 - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Go Back   Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum > 2nd Generation Honda Insight Forum > Honda Insight MPG

Insightcentral.net is the premier Honda Insight Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-18-2015, 02:24 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Pulse and Glide for Gen 2

I've done some poking around on the forum, but most of my searches turn up results for the Gen 1 Insight. I'm not getting the fuel efficiency I want and am turning to you guys.

Pulsing and gliding has worked pretty well. However, I feel like the regenerative behaviors when coasting greatly kills any momentum you've gained from your pulse. I've switched the car into neutral a few times, but I'm unsure if that could result in some long term damage. Would it be better just to keep a light foot on the accelerator? Or should I just let the regen do it's work?

Any tips would be greatly appreciated. I don't know if I'm fully grasping how to drive this car for maximum fuel efficiency.

You can check out my poor MPG at my Fuelly:

newscast is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-18-2015, 04:09 PM   #2 (permalink)

Light foot on the accelerator. Just enough to stop regen happening. It's effectively a 'soft' glide.
Old 02-18-2015, 04:44 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by newscast View Post
I've done some poking around on the forum, but most of my searches turn up results for the Gen 1 Insight. I'm not getting the fuel efficiency I want and am turning to you guys.

Pulsing and gliding has worked pretty well. However, I feel like the regenerative behaviors when coasting greatly kills any momentum you've gained from your pulse. I've switched the car into neutral a few times, but I'm unsure if that could result in some long term damage. Would it be better just to keep a light foot on the accelerator? Or should I just let the regen do it's work?

Any tips would be greatly appreciated. I don't know if I'm fully grasping how to drive this car for maximum fuel efficiency.

You can check out my poor MPG at my Fuelly:

What speed are you driving? Just got my I2 and my 3 fill-ups have resulted in 43, 46, and 46mpg.

50% of those miles are at 65mph, 35% at 50-55, 15% in stop and go...(for reference)
What are you temps/snow accumulation up there too? I noticed a change in MPG in my last car when there was just rain on the roads, the extra friction does make a difference. Plus if you're using the heater a lot that'll definitely bring down the mpgs. Something to consider...
CubSmurf is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-18-2015, 04:54 PM   #4 (permalink)

I do mostly city driving at around 35-45 mph. Temperatures up here have been terrible. It's 2F out currently. I typically run the heater at 68F when I'm moving and turn it off when coming to a stop (in hopes to engage Autostop).

Best MPG I've gotten so far was before I signed up for Fuelly and it was 47MPG on an all 55MPH roads for a 200 mile trip. This was during a cold week in June where temps were around mid 50s.

Maybe my MPGs are typical for my climate, but Foresight's up in northern Maine and imagine the weather is pretty similar.

Perhaps I should take the freeway more often.
Old 02-18-2015, 05:02 PM   #5 (permalink)

Could be from stopping at bars every 50 yards. Love Madison!
BackStreet is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-18-2015, 05:05 PM   #6 (permalink)

Hahaha, yeah that too
Old 02-18-2015, 11:13 PM   #7 (permalink)

its definitely the cold - i hear its been brutal up in yankeeland ... even in ne tx the winter reduces my mpg to 40-2 mpg

2011 Insight LX - 78k miles
jcbesq is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-18-2015, 11:18 PM   #8 (permalink)

It was -4F on my commute home tonight after my car had been sitting outdoors for 3 hours. I tried to be really conscious of my pulse and glide technique while following Uriel's advice from above. I managed to get just under 40mpg with the heat on full blast. Trip was 4.4 miles & I feel pretty satisfied. I think I may have more of a lead foot then I'd like to admit, but I'm learning.
Old 02-19-2015, 02:18 AM   #9 (permalink)

The first few miles are killing for your mpg, especially in the cold.

Make a habit of resetting your Trip B average every time you do a cold start and watch the mpg average grow with the miles.
4.4 miles is very short, my commute is five times that.
Just got 4.0 l/100 km (about 60 mpg) on my trip to work. Temp just above freezing.
It starts at an average of 25 l/100 km for the first 100 yards, I saw it dip below 6.0 l/100 km (40 mpg) at 7.3 km this morning - which is just over 4.4 miles

40 mpg is very good for such a short trip. I drive quite moderately.
RedDevil is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-19-2015, 01:49 PM   #10 (permalink)

Thanks RedDevil. Resetting Trip B every time I drive is a good idea. I'll have to start doing that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in