Warm weather returns - so does mpg - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Go Back   Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum > 2nd Generation Honda Insight Forum > Honda Insight MPG

Insightcentral.net is the premier Honda Insight Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-10-2015, 01:09 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Warm weather returns - so does mpg

The weather here went into the 50Fs. So did my mpg.

54.5mpg on my 26 mile ride home after getting fuel.

I had been getting 10 mpg less with temps below 30F for weeks.

The A/C came on. I had the system in Auto with the temp set at 69. The sun heated the interior so I had cooling on recirculate air for a while.

At a red light I hit full Off on the climate control and had Auto Stop for a full long light.

Last edited by BackStreet; 03-10-2015 at 01:21 PM.
BackStreet is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-10-2015, 01:57 PM   #2 (permalink)

It was below zero most of last month and my mpg was 42. This month, with an average of 45 degrees, it's 54 with a CVT.
astrolink is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-23-2015, 04:31 PM   #3 (permalink)

Standard Operating Proceedure for an I2.

My favorite option are the door visors. This allows me to raise all 4 windows to about 2 inches below the top. The visors allow for smooth airflow around the car at highway speeds. Yielding passenger comfort with climate control off and a small increase in mpg (around 0.1 or 0.2 I'd guess, maybe more).
Have the engine operate as little as possible, especially when standing still or moving slowly; while also meeting my demands for power and maneuvering. This means most battery charging while cruising city streets and rural roads, max regen from slowing down and downgrades, and only using heater or A/C when the engine is on for other purposes.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Moviemike is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-23-2015, 05:29 PM   #4 (permalink)

Scraped ice in the morning.
Almost broke my record commute mpg in the afternoon.
Strange days.
RedDevil is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-24-2015, 07:21 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedDevil View Post
Scraped ice in the morning.
Almost broke my record commute mpg in the afternoon.
Strange days.
Was there sun on the hood during the day?
Have the engine operate as little as possible, especially when standing still or moving slowly; while also meeting my demands for power and maneuvering. This means most battery charging while cruising city streets and rural roads, max regen from slowing down and downgrades, and only using heater or A/C when the engine is on for other purposes.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-24-2015, 09:18 PM   #6 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

I just open the front 2. Works good for several months a year. When I worked night shift during the summer I just drove with the windows rolled down at night. Ive seen the AC take a 5-7 mpg hit. The heater about a 3 mpg hit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moviemike View Post
Standard Operating Proceedure for an I2.

My favorite option are the door visors. This allows me to raise all 4 windows to about 2 inches below the top. The visors allow for smooth airflow around the car at highway speeds. Yielding passenger comfort with climate control off and a small increase in mpg (around 0.1 or 0.2 I'd guess, maybe more).

Cobb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-27-2015, 01:10 AM   #7 (permalink)

Temperatures are starting to moderate some, finally. Getting rain tonight, instead of snow, and hopefully will start to wash the salt and sand off the roads. Still have about 2 feet of snow on the yard, but it will go quickly if this keeps up.

Spent the day taking sand out of the old truck box frame. Should have taken a picture of the stuff that dropped out from the frame and the rest of the underside of the thing. Made a big pile of dirt.

Then decided to wash the Insight. Looks better. The warmer temperatures just arrived this week, but the MPG has been slowly moving up to 47 on this tank anyway. If we ever get daytime temperatures into the upper 40s or even near 50, MPGs should be able to get back to normal. It did get to 42 degrees this afternoon. At least the trend is good. Last week, our highs were only in the 20s with morning lows in the single numbers above and below zero.
Foresight is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-27-2015, 05:28 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moviemike View Post
Was there sun on the hood during the day?
Yup, I did the park the nose towards sunset thing. 16C engine temp at start in 9C weather. Solar engine block heating

Last fillup this morning was the first of the year that had better FE than 4.0 l/100 km (59 mpg) measured by the pump.
MID said 3.8 for the tank, was even at 3.7 yesterday but had to drive into a storm this morning.
RedDevil is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-29-2015, 03:51 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedDevil View Post
Yup, I did the park the nose towards sunset thing. 16C engine temp at start in 9C weather. Solar engine block heating

Last fillup this morning was the first of the year that had better FE than 4.0 l/100 km (59 mpg) measured by the pump.
Am lovin this solar block heating! Gave me better mpg this morning. First morning with sunshine after days of overcast, and little change in temperature.

Could the better FE than pump measurement be due to filling the gas tank to a slightly higher level than at the prior fillup? ....The distance from the top of the gasoline fluid level to the top of the tank, must be the same at both fillups; in order to have an accurate reading of the amount of gasoline the car has used.

Mine is rarely the same, and one may notice a sinesoidal pattern to my mpg numbers at Fuelly as a result. Another result, is that the difference between the car measured mpg and the pump measured mpg can vary a lot, from about 0.5 to 4.5 with an average of 2.9 across 5 fill ups (when measured about 2 years ago).

Old 03-31-2015, 09:40 PM   #10 (permalink)

Short trip, but feels good man.
newscast is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in