Thumbs up for Honda Green Oil - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Go Back   Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum > 2nd Generation Honda Insight Forum > Honda Insight MPG

Insightcentral.net is the premier Honda Insight Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-17-2015, 05:34 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Thumbs up for Honda Green Oil

At my last service I had Honda's Hybrid Green oil put it in. Previous to this I was typically achieving approx 60mpg indicated (having dropped from an average of 64 after a set of new front tyres were put on a few months previously). Post the oil change I'm averaging 64 again

I was initially bemused at why my mpg had suddenly increased. I drive the same roads, and have a consistent driving style. Initially I thought the tyres had just run-in, having forgotten about the positive effects on fuel economy of the green oil!

If you haven't got it in yours, why not?!

P.S I no longer 'hypermile', and fyi even with very careful daily driving my real mpg's have dropped by 10.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by dmt257; 09-17-2015 at 05:37 AM.
dmt257 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-17-2015, 06:01 AM   #2 (permalink)

I've just read in another thread that green oil has been discontinued. That's a real shame.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by dmt257; 09-17-2015 at 06:07 AM.
Old 09-17-2015, 07:51 AM   #3 (permalink)

What other oil have you been using? I wouldn't expect a massive difference between Green Oil and a decent 0w20 (but have been using it for a couple of years).
Advertisement

Old 09-17-2015, 07:56 AM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uriel View Post
What other oil have you been using? I wouldn't expect a massive difference between Green Oil and a decent 0w20 (but have been using it for a couple of years).
I'm not sure what Honda put in the previous service. I didn't notice any changes in economy afterwards, I can say that.

We've had quite a poor summer in Cumbria too. The weather has been a bit cooler since it was serviced.

Old 09-17-2015, 09:45 AM   #5 (permalink)

I did not notice much difference on Green Oil - until the winter season.

Cold starts are less of a punishment for fuel economy on Green Oil. I reset Trip B at every cold start so it is pretty obvious, especially in icy conditions.
Last winter my average for the season was about the same as my lifetime average...!

It's OK not to hypermile - I don't do it every time either, just when there's no need to hurry and I'm in the mood.
That said, when I spot a good opportunity to hypermile I find it hard to resist it; the mood springs up quite often.
RedDevil is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-17-2015, 09:51 AM   #6 (permalink)

I had the CVT fluid changed at the same time.

Any potential increase in economy from that?

Old 09-17-2015, 12:56 PM   #7 (permalink)

If you have any software updates done at the same time they might help.
Old 09-19-2015, 08:18 PM   #8 (permalink)

Ya just coulda had a good day, week, or month with traffic, or whatever, giving you that better mpg.

You might have gotten more air in the tires, because of the pressure checks associated with buying the new ones.

Any oil change will help the engine run more efficiently. The new oil is much cleaner and lighter (less dirt and etc.) it will take less total energy for it to circulate around the engine. That too can add to your mpg, day to day and fillup to fillup.
Have the engine operate as little as possible, especially when standing still or moving slowly; while also meeting my demands for power and maneuvering. This means most battery charging while cruising city streets and rural roads, max regen from slowing down and downgrades, and only using heater or A/C when the engine is on for other purposes.

Moviemike is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-20-2015, 06:47 AM   #9 (permalink)

I've had 2k miles with the 4mpg improvement and my tyres are always put at 51psi weekly (rear two are old, near legal limit and don't hold pressure like they used to).

Given that it's been discontinued I've bought a supply for the next few years. Seems like good stuff.

Back when I used to hypermile I think I could have been seeing 80mpg indicated with this oil. That would be approx 75mpg real. I'm seeing 64mpg indicated driving worse roads for FE, an average speed 25% higher and fewer general eco driving techniques.

Last edited by dmt257; 09-20-2015 at 06:56 AM.
Old 09-21-2015, 06:46 PM   #10 (permalink)

A good case for green oil thanks.

I used it when it was available. I change the oil every 3-5k, but didn't notice much difference vs not so green oil, but used it anyway ...just cause it's green and every little bit helps
Have the engine operate as little as possible, especially when standing still or moving slowly; while also meeting my demands for power and maneuvering. This means most battery charging while cruising city streets and rural roads, max regen from slowing down and downgrades, and only using heater or A/C when the engine is on for other purposes.

Moviemike is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Location (Required)
Where you live
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in