17" Enkei RPF1 on 2011 Insight - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Go Back   Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum > Hybrid and Alternative Fuel Forum > Honda Insight Wheels, Tires and Suspension

Insightcentral.net is the premier Honda Insight Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-03-2017, 08:47 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default 17" Enkei RPF1 on 2011 Insight

I should have posted here...

https://www.insightcentral.net/forums...1-insight.html
Advertisement

Old 05-08-2017, 09:36 AM   #2 (permalink)

Having had the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 in the 205/45-17 size on the car for a week or so now, I am both happy and unhappy. Happy, because the handling and ride quality is nice. Unhappy - the front tires rub the outside of the fenders when going over smooth humps fast. The 40-profile Veozza ZXV4 tires in 205/40-17 I had before on the same rims were almost 1/2" narrower (even though they were also 205mm rated) and a few mm lower profile. They did not rub.

I hate rubbing, and if I ride carefully I can avoid it, but the reality is that every other day I don't pay attention to one of those undulations in the road surface and drive over it faster than ideal and I get a quick rub.

I don't see how rolling the fenders would help, unless I'm missing something - we can't roll the fenders and still keep the plastic liner properly attached, can we?

Or, is there a way to ever so slightly widen the fenders to create some flare perhaps 5mm beyond factory? I think the fender lining would stretch a little to accommodate that...

If there is no easy way to address this, I think I will have to go back to narrower tires. Probably will go back to stock wheels or another set of RPF1s in 15" size.

The Enkei RPF1 wheels I have now are 17x7 with 43mm offset. If they were 51mm (like the stock 5.5" steeleis), I think I would have no rubbing. There is plenty of clearance on the strut side both front and rear. If these were 50mm or more offset, I might get rubbing at the inside of the wheel well at full turn on the steering wheel, I can live with that, but I don't want rubbing when going straight over bumps.

The rubbing right now only happens near full compression of the suspension. Going over speed bumps even faster than I normally would does not cause rubbing - need more compression, like when going fast down a driveway merging into a road at an angle.

Thoughts?

Last edited by Kocho; 06-05-2017 at 01:29 PM.
Kocho is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-05-2017, 12:26 PM   #3 (permalink)

It's pretty tough to find a light wheel that will fit the Insight with sufficient ET to put it flush or inside the fender. I have a set of 16 inch 43 mm offset wheels with 205/45 16 tires mounted on them that I tried for fit on the Insight and they push out beyond the fender edge by about 5-6 mm in front. That's a no go for me. I like flush and really don't like the mudder truck look on a car like an Insight.

I'm still trying to find a set of 16 Honda Fit wheels for the Insight. That's the wheel Honda offered in most other countries, Europe, Australia, New Zealand and I'm sure there are others, but not for us. I've never understood their reasoning for that, as I have mentioned many times. Other manufacturers do the same thing to us.

I wouldn't run a 45 aspect ratio tire on a daily driver here in Maine. Our roads get a little rough after each Winter, so that would mean certain wheel destruction. An aspect ration of at least 50 (55 is the lowest I would run) will generally keep the wheel from getting dinged on a pot hole or road break, if inflation pressures are kept up properly.

I mentioned that to my son when he bought his first car, so he kept sane tires and wheels on it. A couple of years later he snagged a really nice Focus S2 and proceeded to install a set of sticky Summer 215/40 17 tires on a 17" wheels. The car's suspension was slightly modified with sport springs and shocks. Those improvements made the Focus really handle well, but I voiced again to be very careful in rough road patches. Within a couple of weeks he had a bent front wheel. He replaced it and then bent another a little while later. That ended the low profile experiment for him here in Maine.

What kind of MPG are you getting with that Wheel and Tire combination?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Foresight is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-05-2017, 01:17 PM   #4 (permalink)

If these wheels were 50mm offset, I'd be quite happy. Could put a spacer in the back if I wanted a more "flush" look in the rear. Right now, the rear is almost flush,, a bit inside actually, looks better than stock which is way too much inside. But the front stands a bit out of the fender, and with the aggressive thread pattern on these particular tires, it does give a bit of that off-road look that I don't particularly like myself.

Yup, 205/45-17 is a little on the thin side. But so far no issues, I ran over some serious potholes and over some curbs gently by mistake, and not a scratch yet - these particular tires have a very beefy sidewall protector and the construction of the tire is very sturdy as well - much sturdier than another brand that came with the wheels an which I have disposed off since. A lot of small production cars like Toyota Corolla come with this size tires these days in the "fancier" trim levels.

I run them at low PSI compared to what most Insight owners do - pretty much recommended settings around 32-34psI. That gives a reasonably comfortable ride and in fact better stopping than overinflated tires.

MPG? Hard to tell. The Michelin Pilot Sport AS/3 seem to be easy rolling tires, relatively speaking, but I guess there is a hit of a few MPG. I can still do my usual 50mpg on the highway at lower speeds under 65pmh and in the city all bets are off as it depends mostly on traffic. The car does not feel sluggish and glides well.

Cornering, stopping, and especially wet traction is very good though, much better than the previous similarly specked off-brand tires. That's what I care about, not so much about MPG with these tires.

I might try to find a way to widen the front fenders just a little - both my front fenders are damaged cosmetically from two separate accidents, so I might use this opportunity to have a body shop create a 1cm flare out that should take care of the occasional rubbing. I might also install new shocks with slightly more damping, which should eliminate all but the worst-case rubbing on really bad bumps at high speed. If I just go with traffic, I pretty much don't have rubbing, it happens if I am not careful and drive faster than necessary and get surprised by some unusually deep indentation in the road. Speed bumps and normal road features at the expected speeds are not an issue.

There are 195 wide tires in 17" diameter, but only 2 models that I could find and they are summer tires if I recall right, from Yokohama https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...omCompare1=yes

They are 195/45-17 tires, which are about 4mm lower profile than 205/45-17 tires and 10mm narrower, so they should have absolutely on rubbing issues on these RPF1 wheels in my estimation. But I don't want summer tires, so I'll stick with the 205/45-17 for now. I got them at a fairly good price so I'll just wear them off and reassess my options at the next tire change.

It's a pity that the Insight can't take more than 205mm wide tire without issues, because there is very little choice in narrow tires in 17" diameter. Going down in wheel diameter to 15 or 16" opens-up considerably more options - they just don't make narrow 17" and bigger diameter tires...

Last edited by Kocho; 06-05-2017 at 01:32 PM.
Kocho is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-05-2017, 02:14 PM   #5 (permalink)

Good to hear. I agree that there really is too little to choose from tire wise for Insight fitments, in any size. My original Ecopias are wearing really well, but were produced in late 2012 (42nd month of that year) and have started to show significant sidewall cracking right near the rim edge. So I'm in the hunt for new tires and am still trying to find a light 16 inch wheel. Honda Fit wheels are still in my cross hairs, but will also still search for other wheels that have an offset that will keep the tires flush or just inside the wheel well line.

Circumference of Insight suggested tires seem to hover around 24", Euro spec to US spec. Your 205/45 17's are around 24.3" so not bad.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Foresight is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-05-2017, 03:43 PM   #6 (permalink)

Yes, I was trying to stay close to stock diameter. For a couple of hundred miles I ran on the smaller tires that came with the rims, 205/40-17. To be honest, the odometer was not much off and these tires, despite being the same claimed width of 205mm, were in fact much more compact both by being lower and by having less thread width than the Michelins in the same width. So they did not rub. If these tires were as good as the Michelins, I would have kept them despite the rather low profile. But they tended to loose traction at the limit on wet roads in a rather scary way, so they had to go.

I've had the same differences with Continental vs. Michelin tires, where the Continental had about 5mm more bulging than the Michelins in the exact same spec tire and rubbed the struts on my Camry, where there was absolutely no issue with the Michelins. Here, on these specific tires, the Michelins turned out wider than the Vandebilts and considerably more so.

I could not find lightweight wheels in +50 offset, the closest I saw was 45mm if I remember. Maybe I should have looked at +60 and use spacers to bring them out to the factory 51mm or so, but the models I liked or could afford don't come in those offsets. Most are like 35 to 42mm ...

There are some cheap steel wheels in the right offset in 16" at 6.5" wide that would have worked perfectly, but they were something like 20lb each, which is way too much for a 16" wheel on the Insight. If one does not care about that weight, they would be a really nice platform to mount a 195mm or even 185mm tire that would be more stable than on the factory 5.5" wide steelies...
Old 06-11-2018, 02:23 AM   #7 (permalink)

Hows your mpg going to 205/17's?
maxim809 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-07-2018, 11:36 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxim809 View Post
Hows your mpg going to 205/17's?
im actually running the same size and my mpg is 41 mpg mix mostly highway and a tad bit of local road.
jackbox is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in