Alloy wheel deterioration 2010 ES (UK Model) - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Go Back   Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum > Hybrid and Alternative Fuel Forum > Honda Insight Wheels, Tires and Suspension

Insightcentral.net is the premier Honda Insight Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-19-2014, 08:49 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Alloy wheel deterioration 2010 ES (UK Model)

I have a 2010 Insight ES with the stock 16" alloy wheels. The standard tyre size is 185/55r16.

A few months ago I noticed some air leakining from the tyre valve on one of my wheels. I took it to a tyre fitter, who cleaned it out and fitted a new valve but he mentioned that the wheel was deteriorating with signs of corrosion and the laquer peeling off. Sure enough, on closer inspection I noticed that all 4 rims were showing signs of bubbling (especially near the wheel nuts) and the laquer peeling off in places.

Recently I've had another slow leak from around a valve on another wheel, identified from foaming after I put some soapy water on the wheel.

Anyone else have the same problem? UK roads aren't the best for keeping wheels pristine, as they salt them in winter. Still, I'm a little disappointed at how they have held up.

I asked my local dealer to take a look. The wheels are out of warranty, and Honda were unwilling to contribute (goodwill), although the dealer did say they were surprised at the deterioration. They quoted 230 to refurb all four, which doesn't seem too bad.

In the mean time I spotted a set of 4 rims identical to mine (stock I2 ES / EX UK rims - but better condition) on ebay and have bought them for 130 delivered.

Assuming they all continue to hold air OK, I'll probably have my summer tyres put on the best wheels and use the others for a winter set.
Advertisement

Old 08-19-2014, 04:31 PM   #2 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

Alloy wheels do develop micro cracks and fractures. I had a customer once who had problems and turned out his dog use to take a leak on his wheels and that accelerated the problem.

Cobb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-22-2014, 06:47 AM   #3 (permalink)

I've got a new tyre valve on the wheel that's slowly losing air. We'll see if that solves it.
Advertisement

Old 10-10-2014, 07:22 AM   #4 (permalink)

Mine are a shambles at 4 years old and 62k.

I'm going for 15'' wheels anyways. The cheapest I've been quoted is 240 and I don't even know the condition or if tyres are included yet.

You got a steal!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
dmt257 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-10-2014, 10:50 AM   #5 (permalink)

The new tyre valve solved the air loss. I picked up a set of alloys identical to mine (16" ES ones) for about 130 delivered on eBay (no tyres included). Going to run 2 sets, one for winter and one for summer. Just waiting for the weather forecast to predict temperatures consistently below 7 Celsius before having them fitted.
Old 10-10-2014, 10:53 AM   #6 (permalink)

Was that a private sale or business?

I'm trying to figure what I should be paying. There is barely any demand for these sets of wheels, surely?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
dmt257 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-10-2014, 12:09 PM   #7 (permalink)

It was a private individual. For some reason they had put them on a Jazz and wanted a change. If you want the 15 inch alloys, I would look for Insight SEs or HEs that are breaking. Although demand isn't very high, neither is supply.

By comparison, getting the alloys new from Honda would have been about 300 a corner.

Last edited by Uriel; 10-10-2014 at 12:16 PM.
Uriel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in