Tire options for my 2002? - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Go Back   Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum > Hybrid and Alternative Fuel Forum > Honda Insight Wheels, Tires and Suspension

Insightcentral.net is the premier Honda Insight Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-31-2014, 03:52 PM  

Question Tire options for my 2002?

from a noob:
I adore my 2002 Insight; it's my first used car. (Had a beloved '83 CRX before that.) Have 168K on it and am looking to have it for a few more years.

I'm really not thrilled with the handling on my Potenzas. It seems options are really limited with the 14-inch rim. I heard good things about Yokohama and Toyo, but ES 100 and T1 R don't seem to be available anymore....

In addition to daily driving (mebbe 15mi RT for work and a few miles around town), I drive VA to NY every 3-4 weeks, pushing 600mi RT.

Do I have to live with the Bridgestones/Potenzas? Should I be hyper-vigilant on alignment/rotation/air to help improve performance?

I will pay more for great handling b/c i drive so much on longer treks -- mostly at night, and through the winter.

In case I have to end up ordering them myself and having my mechanic put 'em on, I need to be certain that what I'm getting is gonna work for this model. (In case it matters, I'm in Northern Va.)

Thanks for any advice.

--Anne
irishgal09 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-01-2014, 08:55 AM  

Hi irishgal09,

Welcome to the forum. There have been A LOT of threads on different tires here. Please search for them. It will most likely answer any and all questions you have regarding your options. I will note for you, however (as you will also find from searching), that ANY TIRE OTHER THAN THE RE92 will cause a rather significant MPG drop.

Good luck,
Bryan

joeaax1j is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 11-01-2014, 08:42 PM  

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryankwalton View Post
Hi irishgal09,

Welcome to the forum. There have been A LOT of threads on different tires here. Please search for them. It will most likely answer any and all questions you have regarding your options. I will note for you, however (as you will also find from searching), that ANY TIRE OTHER THAN THE RE92 will cause a rather significant MPG drop.

Good luck,
Bryan
thanks, bryan. i did do a quick search before posting; the info i found was mainly about second gen insights or strictly the bridgestones. but i'll look again....
irishgal09 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-01-2014, 10:19 PM  

Default Tires

I realize everyone has an opinion regarding tires.

I didn't think a 3 mpg penalty was significant when looking at around 60 mpg, and the trade off in ride, handling, and safety was worth it.

The Re92s were the worst tires I have ever had on a car, especially in sloppy conditions, and I couldn't wait to switch to 185/60 all-season rated tires (Firestone 500s at the time). To me it was well worth it.

I value mpg's, but not above everything else. Just as with a motorcycle, tires make a world of difference.
Old 11-02-2014, 01:09 AM  

Hi, Anne. Welcome to our group!

Here's my take. Members have tried tires other than the RE-92s, and all have experienced a loss in gas mileage. But some have liked the noise, ride, and handling of other tires and are willing to take a permanent mileage hit. I don't understand this.

I bought an Insight for one purpose. Gas mileage. Not handling. I have a Miata for that. Not speed. I have a Miata for that (turbocharged). Not for looks or top-down fun. I have a Miata for that. Not comfort. My wife has a minivan for that. Many of us have fun, interesting OTIs (Other Than Insight), yet we drive our Insights most of the time because of the gas mileage. Since mileage is my goal, I wouldn't do anything to the car that would make the it less, like different tires. Honda designed a car for us with no compromises in gas mileage, so who am I to do something to make it worse?

The RE-92 might not do some things well, but it is the best for mileage, so I'll buy them until something better is produced. I have a new set on the car and another new set in the garage. I keep them inflated to 55 lbs, which makes the ride a little stiffer but helps the mileage. I don't see a need to have this car if you're going to accept less than the best mileage you can get.

I'm not sure I understand the term "handling" as it relates to long trips, unless the trips are on back roads through the mountains or something. Long trips are usually on an Interstate, and that's the place for the RE92. Straight, smooth roads where you can go slow and get great mileage. To me "handling" is performance in the twisties, where the Insight does not excel.

Decide what tire pressure suits you, whatever tires you get, and check it often to make sure it is it is supposed to be. The Insight is not bad about getting out of alignment, so don't worry too much about that unless it starts pulling to one side or something. There is nothing special about these tires and wheels, so anybody can mount and balance them.

While I'm at it, check your spare. I've checked three of them lately and all have been flat or almost flat.

Sam
MIMA #150
Genesis Charger and Discharger
BumbleBee Battery
OBDIIC&C Gauge
NM license plate KERS
(Kinetic Energy Recovery System)
Alpine Stereo
Scott's front and rear springs
GAZ rear shocks
2003 Lean Burn CVT (Wife's car)
2000 Citrus with aerodynamic extension
2002 Blue getting new engine
Rainsux is online now   Quick reply to this message
Old 11-02-2014, 09:22 AM  

I cannot help but wonder if ultimate gas mileage is one's Holy Grail, why not ride a scooter. Just sayin'.....
Old 11-02-2014, 09:38 AM  

Because a scooter doesn't protect you from the elements?

I would ride a Honda Rebel as my daily if it could somehow not be cold as anything in winter, hour as anything in summer and soaking wet in the rain.

But it can't so I drive an insight.

RIP 2000 Insight, 40k miles @ 69.2 mpg
2000 Insight, AKA "The Basket Case" or "The Go Pod" @185k miles @ 63.5 mpg
-IMAC&C, OBDIIC&C, Scott's aero panel, grid charger, cheapo sound system
samwichse is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 11-02-2014, 10:00 AM  

Right. Ultimate mileage would be to walk everywhere. Apples and oranges. My Insight is a safe, all weather vehicle capable of long trips. A scooter is not. And the Insight beats the mileage of almost all motorcycles and many scooters. I'd love to have a motorcycle like a Goldwing, but I just can't justify it. A scooter might be fun around the neighborhood, but not enough fun to actually buy one.

Sam
MIMA #150
Genesis Charger and Discharger
BumbleBee Battery
OBDIIC&C Gauge
NM license plate KERS
(Kinetic Energy Recovery System)
Alpine Stereo
Scott's front and rear springs
GAZ rear shocks
2003 Lean Burn CVT (Wife's car)
2000 Citrus with aerodynamic extension
2002 Blue getting new engine
Rainsux is online now   Quick reply to this message
Old 11-08-2014, 10:49 AM  
Fox

Edwina and I both have scooters, the pcx125 gets 110mpg, my kymco 250Ri doesn't get that but I can drive it on the highway at 75mph. Insight and kymco are probably close in mileage but never check it cause I don't want to be say :P
Fox is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 11-08-2014, 11:09 AM  
Hypermiler

Garage

Irish: welcome and congrats on owning a technological gem.

You pose a good question that has many answeres, but Sam (Rainsux) hits the point right on.

There are other tires that provide a more 'comfortable' ride, but the re92 is the tire for mpg.

I bought my Insights for the same reason Sam did, mpg. I'm one of the owners willing to accept some road noise and a stiffer ride. Fits my needs for my G1's, but that's just me.

It's all a matter of what you want for your Honda gem.

I see you're in VA, there are many Insighters all around your area. You should consider attending one of the car meet ups the mid-atlantic group has one or two (or three) times a year. It's a great opportunity to meet other owners and share ideas. Post a pic of your Insight, we all enjoy seeing other folks' cars.

Regards and happy Insighting,
, IMAC&C
'01 mt, Silver, 222k,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, MIMA, currently "
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"
'00 Citrus,, 184k,
, MIMA,

'01 mt, Oxy Blue, 218k

Go Navy, or don't go

Last edited by Mountain driver; 11-08-2014 at 11:12 AM.
Mountain driver is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in