Spare Wheel / Space Saver questions - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Go Back   Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum > Hybrid and Alternative Fuel Forum > Honda Insight Wheels, Tires and Suspension

Insightcentral.net is the premier Honda Insight Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-09-2016, 04:45 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Spare Wheel / Space Saver questions

Hello all. I'm in the UK

Recently got a 2010 Insight ES. No spare wheel annoyingly, only repair kit. I'm trying to find a good price for a space saver but not having much luck. Does anyone know if a Honda Jazz space saver would fit? It's also 4 holes.

Mine's got 16" wheels.

and on the subject...what's the fitting kit that would let me have the space saver in the boot? The battery sticks out underneath so doesn't look like there's any space for a spare as the battery takes up half the boot space underneath the floor board. I can't seem to find much info on that either.

Anyone got pics? Thank you.
dn128 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-09-2016, 06:17 PM   #2 (permalink)

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by dn128 View Post
Hello all. I'm in the UK

Recently got a 2010 Insight ES. No spare wheel annoyingly, only repair kit. I'm trying to find a good price for a space saver but not having much luck. Does anyone know if a Honda Jazz space saver would fit? It's also 4 holes.

Mine's got 16" wheels.

and on the subject...what's the fitting kit that would let me have the space saver in the boot? The battery sticks out underneath so doesn't look like there's any space for a spare as the battery takes up half the boot space underneath the floor board. I can't seem to find much info on that either.

Anyone got pics? Thank you.
Got one on eBay,e68 ,saved me 70/80 Euros,only problem is that it's lying in the boot,but better than relying on the repair kit,am going to have a lash at making up something myself, but at the moment, my little west highland terrier travels there,

Last edited by Garrydhu; 01-09-2016 at 06:19 PM. Reason: More
Garrydhu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2016, 07:09 AM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrydhu View Post
Got one on eBay,e68 ,saved me 70/80 Euros,only problem is that it's lying in the boot,but better than relying on the repair kit,am going to have a lash at making up something myself, but at the moment, my little west highland terrier travels there,
That's a fair price. I saw one on eBay / Gumtree (same seller) at 30(!!!) but he was too far away. Also had fitting kit for 40 ONO. Sold now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-11-2016, 12:52 PM   #4 (permalink)

Garage

Postage,aswell as difference in Sterling/euro,that's what ramps up the price for me,I'd be interested in seeing the fitting kit for the space saver, and the price,if stuck,pretty sure one could make a kit up
Old 01-28-2016, 08:31 PM   #5 (permalink)

I put my spare, jack, and tire iron in the garage and replaced it with a can of Fix-a-Flat "Just in case". Knock on wood, I have not even had a real flat tire in years. I've had a puncture lead to a slow leak. The tire never got so flat I could not make it safely home or at least to a gas station to fill it up.

Changing a tire is dangerous especially at night, on a hill, and/or in bad weather. It may not even be possible to remove one or more of the lugs with the small wrench. Plus you still need to run to a garage to get the flat fixed.
BackStreet is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2016, 08:40 PM   #6 (permalink)

My only Insight tire failure has been a tread separation. 100 miles from home. No amount of fix-a-flat would have helped it. So I installed my fill size spare and drove home. No drama. It saved me an expensive tow, a long delay, and the expense of buying whatever tire I could find in the nearest town (small, 30 miles away) that I would never use again. I always install my lug nuts with the Honda wrench to ensure that I can remove them.

Sam
MIMA #150
Genesis Charger and Discharger
BumbleBee Battery
OBDIIC&C Gauge
NM license plate KERS
(Kinetic Energy Recovery System)
Alpine Stereo
Scott's front and rear springs
GAZ rear shocks
2003 Lean Burn CVT (Wife's car)
2000 Citrus with aerodynamic extension
2002 Blue getting new engine
Rainsux is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-29-2016, 06:35 PM   #7 (permalink)

Garage
Default Fitting kit

Quote:
Originally Posted by dn128 View Post
That's a fair price. I saw one on eBay / Gumtree (same seller) at 30(!!!) but he was too far away. Also had fitting kit for 40 ONO. Sold now.
I took out the tyre inflation kit,and the large polyistiron(wrong spelling,sorry)stuff,then covered where the batteries are ,now my space saver fits,with all my other bits and bob's, happy,and pretty sure the batteries are still protected
Old 01-30-2016, 07:26 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BackStreet View Post
Changing a tire is dangerous especially at night, on a hill, and/or in bad weather. It may not even be possible to remove one or more of the lugs with the small wrench. Plus you still need to run to a garage to get the flat fixed.
If dangerous, I call the RAC (vehicle breakdown service) and they do it for me while using their van to block traffic so it's safe for the mechanic to change the tyre. I drive around town anyway so can usually can pull into a safe spot which saves time if I can do it myself.

Not sure what would happen if the recovery company shows up when I have a flat and no spare? If rear tyre flat, they swap a front one to the rear so they can towe me to a tyre shop? That or would they insist on using the goo to repair thus ruining the tyre? hmmmm..

I'm thinking of buying myself a spare full size to keep at home. Then they can towe me home if at night when nothing's open. Anyone do that?
Old 01-30-2016, 07:31 PM   #9 (permalink)

Garage

Do yourself a favour, buy a space saver,and a decent extendable wrench,I have,and with the extra length, its a doddle to take a wheel off
Old 01-30-2016, 07:42 PM   #10 (permalink)

I have 5 full sized spares at home (well, ones a spare and the others are my summer wheels).

In the UK, the RAC carry a generic spare designed to adapt to most cars.

I don't have a space saver but I'd like one.
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in