H.A. Advanced Discharger - Coming Soon - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Go Back   Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum > Vendor Member Section > Hybrid Automotive

Insightcentral.net is the premier Honda Insight Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-19-2013, 03:32 PM   #1 (permalink)
Lean Burn = Happiness

Lightbulb H.A. Advanced Discharger - Coming Soon

As many of you are aware, there is a lot of excitement in the area of IMA battery deep discharge. In partnership with Bumblebee Batteries we are proudly developing an advanced discharger that is planned for release in early to mid 2014:

The Advanced Discharger 3.0 (AD3.0) will be unlike anything on the market today. It will have user adjustable discharge termination points, data logging, auto tapering load during discharge, constant voltage tapering between load levels (and at the discharge termination point), a very attractive price point relative to the market today - and of course many layers or safety. There are no products on the market that have these features. We are obviously very excited about it. Some of you were already aware this is coming and knew we were hoping to release it prior to the end of 2013. Sadly, one of our Electrical Engineers had a family emergency and had to drop off of the project, which delayed our planned release date. We are recovering from this setback but it has obviously delayed our product timeline.

Auto tapering load during discharge is a critical feature not seen in the market today. Reducing the amperage load on the battery as the voltage drops has two critical benefits:

First, the risk of damage from cell reversal is greatly reduced. High amperage load during cell reversal is damaging to IMA battery cells. It is essential to reduce the cell load as the voltage drops to protect cells from damage during periods of reversal. Shop light dischargers are high load and are very hard on the pack, especially during deep discharges. The AD3.0 will be the safest and most effective option available for IMA battery deep discharge.

Second, the battery can do more 'work' with a smaller load, thus allowing a more thorough discharge and better IMA battery performance recovery. With a high discharge load, the battery will hit the discharge stop-point much faster than with a lower current load. The goal of a deep discharge is to take as much out of the batteries as possible to improve subsequent battery performance! The slower, lower load discharge provided by the AD3.0 will give you a more complete discharge.

The AD3.0 will be "plug and play" compatible with the "Discharge Ready" car harnesses that ships with our current SC3.0 Grid Chargers. The car harness will need the $20 "Discharge Ready" option in order to allow current to be drawn from the IMA battery. The Discharge Ready option is already available on our website and many of our current customers are choosing this to have foreword compatibility. An add-on Discharge Ready conversion kit will be offered with the AD3.0 for customers who opt not to purchase it now and select the "Standard" option. By choosing the discharge ready option now, you can later use the AD3.0 without having to re-open the IMA compartment and modify the car harness down the road.

For customers who have a weak IMA battery, need a discharger now, and cannot wait until this product is released, we are offering a bridge product in the form of our adjustable load capable Very Simple Discharger (VSD1.0) that you can read more about here:
(link coming soon)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Extending the life of your hybrid
Best Tank: 90.2MPG over 918.7 miles 010MCM/030BCM, No MIMA. Details:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2006 Dark Blue Insight. Bought/Selling/Sold/Dismantled nine silvers, three blues, and a Citrus

Last edited by jeff652; 12-19-2013 at 05:20 PM.
jeff652 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-20-2013, 02:02 AM   #2 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

Will your AD3.0 be available as a stand alone unit?
Bornloser is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-23-2013, 01:55 PM   #3 (permalink)
Lean Burn = Happiness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bornloser View Post
Will your AD3.0 be available as a stand alone unit?
Interesting idea. The plug will be specific to our car harnesses, but perhaps we will offer a raw wire adapter that can be grafted onto anyone's car harness . . .

2006 Dark Blue Insight. Bought/Selling/Sold/Dismantled nine silvers, three blues, and a Citrus

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-27-2013, 04:04 PM   #4 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

I think it would sell! My battery doesnt need it, but I installed a homemade harness in a friends Insight and let him borrow my simple grid charger to keep him running. Any price yet on the discharger? Even if I was just told where to attach it, if it is a stand alone unit, I am pretty sure my friend would buy one (he is saving for a new battery from Eli).
Bornloser is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-29-2014, 10:51 AM   #5 (permalink)
Lean Burn = Happiness

Progress is occuring! Please visit this thread for an update and to take a look at some very interesting photos:
https://www.insightcentral.net/forums...k-preview.html

Old 07-30-2014, 10:10 AM   #6 (permalink)

good luck with your product.
My last words on the concept:
Would like to see where you did test to determine that this is better for the cells than a simple shop light.
My experience with over 200 dischargers in the field has been mostly positive, and find it hard to believe that one could do meaningful test to determine that the 1A final discharge current provided by the shop light was doing any more or less damage to the cells than your more controlled discharger.
Make me a believer with some data, I have data that shows capacity balancing and recovery with the shop lite load, and I would expect your discharger to show similar changes?

Mike Dabrowski 2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in