Prius Grid Charger Prototype - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Go Back   Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum > Vendor Member Section > Hybrid Automotive

Insightcentral.net is the premier Honda Insight Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-28-2013, 11:03 PM   #1 (permalink)
Lean Burn = Happiness

Default Prius Grid Charger Prototype

We are expanding into the Toyota line. Here is a max voltage test being performed on our very first Prius XW10/XW20 prototype :

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Proto#1 28-DEC-13.jpg (98.6 KB, 119 views)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Extending the life of your hybrid
Best Tank: 90.2MPG over 918.7 miles 010MCM/030BCM, No MIMA. Details:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2006 Dark Blue Insight. Bought/Selling/Sold/Dismantled nine silvers, three blues, and a Citrus

Last edited by jeff652; 01-18-2014 at 11:33 PM.
jeff652 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-28-2013, 11:19 PM   #2 (permalink)
Administrator

Send a message via MSN to retepsnikrep

Is that the target voltage you need to reach?

How many cells in the pack?

ObdIIc&c, Imac&c, ImaBoost, Current Hacks available. Enqs to 150mpg[at]gmail.com
retepsnikrep is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-29-2013, 10:25 AM   #3 (permalink)

Looking forward to hearing more about this. I see plenty of Prius. Good stuff!

608-729-4082

Mobile service also available
ericbecky is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-17-2014, 08:58 PM   #4 (permalink)
Lean Burn = Happiness

Another new Prius prototype being shipped to a customer tomorrow. Getting a lot of interest in these, primarily from Prius focused repair shops. Very cool Going to add them to the website this weekend hopefully.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Proto#2 17-JAN-14.jpg (95.2 KB, 79 views)

2006 Dark Blue Insight. Bought/Selling/Sold/Dismantled nine silvers, three blues, and a Citrus

Old 01-17-2014, 09:12 PM   #5 (permalink)
Lean Burn = Happiness

Quote:
Originally Posted by retepsnikrep View Post
Is that the target voltage you need to reach?

How many cells in the pack?

The 01-03 has 228 cells, and the 04-09 has 168 cells. These pics are the 2001-2003 compatible units. I expect to be able to build the 04-09 Prius version into the same black cases that we use for the Insight and HCH.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericbecky View Post
Looking forward to hearing more about this. I see plenty of Prius. Good stuff!
Sweet! Want me to get started on one for you?

Old 01-18-2014, 12:33 AM   #6 (permalink)
Administrator

Looks neat.

Metal case is the chassis earthed?

ObdIIc&c, Imac&c, ImaBoost, Current Hacks available. Enqs to 150mpg[at]gmail.com
Old 01-18-2014, 12:41 AM   #7 (permalink)
Lean Burn = Happiness

Oh yes! Absolutely

Old 01-18-2014, 12:54 AM   #8 (permalink)
Administrator

Safety Interlocks?

As the voltage gets ever higher and you produce/sell more and more the chance of something failing or someone doing something daft with one increases.

Is it possible to turn the charger on without it being connected to the car?

If you have a loop back in your connector at the car on a multi pin socket then that could disable the charger unless it is attached to the socket/car. Or have some HV detection so that it won't turn on unless it detects at least x volts at the plug.

My Simple Cycler has HV detection and won't power up the supplies unless it detects a battery connected.

Are you putting diodes in the wires at the battery or having a discharging/cycling facility as well?

I appreciate it's only a prototype, but I'm paranoid now about litigation which we got from you! [Thanks ] I would hate that to bite you on the A!!

Old 01-18-2014, 01:30 AM   #9 (permalink)
Lean Burn = Happiness

Yeah, we Americans sure are good at suing the pants off of each other!

The most important thing I have done is formalized the company. No one buys chargers from me anymore, but rather from my employer, Hybrid Automotive LLC, organized in the fine state of California, USA. I am merely an employee/stakeholder at this point. My losses are limited to my investment in the company.

Regarding the Prius charger, it is internally fused and there is a diode on the car harness. We are tweaking our discharger design to be Prius compatible, but that is looking like a v2 feature at this point.

We are finalizing our new logo and branding which will be applied to all products very shortly along with safety warnings and threats of bodily injury from misuse, which will help to a degree as well - at least in theory.

Last edited by jeff652; 01-18-2014 at 02:07 AM. Reason: typo
Old 01-18-2014, 09:07 AM   #10 (permalink)

I have had a few people who have called me who needed this.
They ran down their HV battery by trying to start the gas engine too many times.
Happens often when a maf sensor goes bad, or other component that won't let the car start.

Every time they turn the key, the big battery tries spinning the gas engine.
If the gas engine doesn't catch, they try again.
The big battery gets weaker and weaker until then they get errors from the big battery being to low.

I have a customer right now who needs to buy one of these.
I'll get ahold of him and let you know.

608-729-4082

Mobile service also available
ericbecky is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in