Questions regarding wire color - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Go Back   Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum > Vendor Member Section > Hybrid Automotive

Insightcentral.net is the premier Honda Insight Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-21-2016, 10:32 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Questions regarding wire color

First, let me apologize in advance: I have a Honda Civic, not an Insight. However, this is the only forum I found that seemed to be dedicated to the Hybrid Automotive Prolong grid chargers, and thus I was hoping someone might also have some Civic expertise.

I began my install yesterday, and had no problems until I reached steps 17/18 in which you splice the harness into the fan wiring. Specifically, the wire diagram describes where to wire in the following colors:

Black
Pink
Yellow
Blue

However, my Civic (a 2007) doesn't have these colors. Instead, it has

Black
Red
Purple
Blue

That being said, I've made the following assumptions:

Blue and Black are obvious, left unchanged
The Red is actually the Pink
The purple (by process of elimination) is Yellow

However, I was hoping to confirm that before reinstalling the IPU and getting everything put back in place. I'd hate to have to go back in and re-do it, or--worse--fry something. I've emailed the customer support guys at Hybrid Automotive, but being that my sole mode of transportation is now unavailable until I can figure it out, I wanted to seek out information from other avenues in parallel.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

David
dtbritt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-21-2016, 11:55 AM   #2 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

Default Resistor value color convention

The convention for color-code values is:
Black = 0
Brown = 1
Red = 2
Orange = 3
Yellow = 4
Green = 5
Blue = 6
Violet = 7
Gray = 8
White = 9

These colors are a standard. They have not changed. Circuits may have changed, hence resistor values. Black is the last number (0). As one can see there is no pink. One has to be careful reading the colors since blue may look like violet, and as you pointed out red looks like pink. The top value is 642 ohms, the bottom 672 ohms. A cheater page can be found at
5 Band Resistor Color Code Calculator and Chart | DigiKey Electronics
minor4326 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-21-2016, 12:48 PM   #3 (permalink)

He's asking about the wiring harness on his car, not resistor values. Did I miss something?

Sam
MIMA #150
Genesis Charger and Discharger
BumbleBee Battery
OBDIIC&C Gauge
NM license plate KERS
(Kinetic Energy Recovery System)
Alpine Stereo
Scott's front and rear springs
GAZ rear shocks
2003 Lean Burn CVT (Wife's car)
2000 Citrus with aerodynamic extension
2002 Blue getting new engine
Rainsux is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-21-2016, 12:50 PM   #4 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtbritt View Post
First, let me apologize in advance: I have a Honda Civic, not an Insight. However, this is the only forum I found that seemed to be dedicated to the Hybrid Automotive Prolong grid chargers, and thus I was hoping someone might also have some Civic expertise.

I began my install yesterday, and had no problems until I reached steps 17/18 in which you splice the harness into the fan wiring. Specifically, the wire diagram describes where to wire in the following colors:

Black
Pink
Yellow
Blue

However, my Civic (a 2007) doesn't have these colors. Instead, it has

Black
Red
Purple
Blue

That being said, I've made the following assumptions:

Blue and Black are obvious, left unchanged
The Red is actually the Pink
The purple (by process of elimination) is Yellow

However, I was hoping to confirm that before reinstalling the IPU and getting everything put back in place. I'd hate to have to go back in and re-do it, or--worse--fry something. I've emailed the customer support guys at Hybrid Automotive, but being that my sole mode of transportation is now unavailable until I can figure it out, I wanted to seek out information from other avenues in parallel.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

David
Match them up pin for pin in this picture:

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/09...37507328122731

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S Keith is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-22-2016, 08:46 AM   #5 (permalink)

Thanks everyone for the replies. S Keith - I can't believe I didn't think of that on my own. Sometimes I wonder what my mother smoked or drank while she was pregnant with me. I was also chatting with Jeff via email today, and he pointed out that the fan/wiring for the Civic is almost identical to that of the Insight. This gives me three different approaches to figure out how the wires match up, and all of then arrive at the same conclusion.

First approach: The one I outlined in my original post.

Second approach: Using the Insight as a guide.
Civic -> Insight
Black -> Black
Yellow -> Yellow
Blue -> Blue
Pink -> White

From the photo of the Insight wiring, the two thick wires are white and black. From that I'm guessing (since my two thick wires are Black and Red) I start with this:

Insight -> Mine
Black -> Black
White -> Red

Leaving me just to figure out the Blue and Purple ones. Since I have a blue one, I'm guessing it'd be best to keep that consistent, leaving me with:

Insight -> Mine
Blue -> Blue
Yellow -> Purple
Third approach: The most obvious one pointed out by S Keith
Instruction photo -> My wiring
Black -> Black
Blue -> Blue
Yellow -> Purple
Pink -> Red
Like I said, all of them come to the same conclusion, which I've attached to this response. I'll wire it back in today and let you know if anything explodes.

Thanks everyone!

David
Attached Images
File Type: png 2007 Honda Wiring.png (68.9 KB, 8 views)
dtbritt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-22-2016, 09:17 AM   #6 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

sorry about my left-field remarks. I've been focused on building and getting my Simple Cycler circuit board working and my thoughts wondered.
minor4326 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-22-2016, 10:13 AM   #7 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

I think Jeff is confused. He needz MOAR coffee... or I do...

The Insight is a simple 2 wire connector for (+)(-). The HCH1 (03-50) and HCH2 (06-11) are 4 wire connectors with (+), (-), PWM and SPD.

Your modified diagram looks right - as long as the colors match the same pins, you should be fine.

S Keith is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Location (Required)
Where you live
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in