Well, InsightFest 2017 has come and gone.
A good group of folks came and we had lots of fun and lots of learning.
I just wanted to throw out there that I am looking to hear any feedback you have from InsightFest 2017. Good. Bad. Or otherwise. Constructive feedback is especially helpful.
If you'd rather not post publicly, feel free to contact me privately via a phone call or email at [email protected]
No feedback or idea is wrong. We are just brainstorming and gathering opinions here. No judgement. This will hopefully help others for their events as well. Some ideas may implemented. Some may not.
Some things so far. In no particular order.
- People liked the on-the-fly sessions (Springs, valve adjustment, headlight replacement, wet seatbelt, aux audio in)
- Need more owners to step up and volunteer ahead of time to host specific sessions at specific times so folks can plan their day
- While ordering out for meals is possible, many stayed onsite and never quite got around to ordering their own meals. So maybe just have people pay extra for meals ahead of time.
- Possible discount for early registrations? Higher cost for late registrations.
- Order T-shirt ahead of time with additional charge?
- Limit # of projects per attendee. Some people got many things done, but others could not get help because of "hogging" of resources.
- Have "donation" bucket for people who want to give extra money to the event
- Dinner Saturday was later than I had hoped. Plan offsite dinner on Saturday night so all can be together.
- Liked the Friday Eat & Greet all together.
- First time ever used a floor jack! Never even done an oil change on my car but people shared their knowledge for me to change my springs.
- Thanks to Scott for his willingness to work for free all weekend.
- Having a car on the lift was helpful just to see where parts go. And see what panels were missing on my car
- Was cool to see the innards of a transmission
- Can sessions be filmed for those who can't come?
- Urban mpg contest?
For InsightFest 2018...
I am willing to host and plan for the 5 Year Anniversary of InsightFest in 2018.
It would be in Madison, Wisconsin at Sector 67's new shop space in Madison. (On Corry St, about 1/2 mile from InsightFest 2017)
That said, I am not completely invested in hosting it here. If someone else can come up with a proposal that confirmed bodies committed to planning and running the event, I am happy to support it. Please get your volunteers committed *before* posting an official announcement of the event. I'm happy to help in whatever way I can remotely.
If it is here in Madison for 2018 we will have much more control over the space since the parking lot, etc will not be shared with other building tenants. Also we will have more lift access. Although in reality, there was not that much need since most of the work didn't need them, or could be accomplished with simple jacks and jack stands.
There may be some an adjustment upwards in the pricing depending on what people want to be included (more meals, T-shirt, etc). At this point I don't have a way to do "ala carte" (ie 1-day, 1/2 day) pricing since we have to rent the space for the entire weekend regardless if majority of folks are here on only one or two days. Also event insurance is a single fee that must be purchased regardless of the amount of time each participant physically spends onsite.