Detailed information on next generation IMA in Civic - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Go Back   Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum > Hybrid and Alternative Fuel Forum > Insight and Honda News

Insightcentral.net is the premier Honda Insight Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-11-2005, 05:02 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Detailed information on next generation IMA in Civic

Check this link out:

http://motoring.asia1.com.sg/cgi-bin...c;f=7;t=002392

Just one generation ahead and look at the improvements on the electrical side:

Motor output - same size, power up 50%.
Power electronics - 50% reduction in size (!)
Battery - 25% increased power density.

If only improvements like this also happened with engines!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
clett is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-11-2005, 08:06 AM   #2 (permalink)

And a Prius like low speed electric only mode of operation

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Insightful Trekker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-11-2005, 09:35 AM   #3 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to Rick Reece

Interesting. The Civic IMA when introduced had greater power density and efficiency than the Insight. Now we have a 3rd generation model which improves upon the second. Sure wish they would put these improvements into a 2006 Insight (I would be up for a new one). This also makes me wonder about long time battery support. Panasonic has improved upon the batteries multiple times since the Insight was introduced. So in a way you could say that the Insight IMA battery is a obsolete design. When Honda stops producing the Insight why would Panasonic continue to produce a inferior design. I suppose Honda would order a lot of spares to handle replacements for some time but these batteries would be just sitting around which probably is not a good thing.
Rick 00 #4738 (5sp) Lmpg 91.1 @ 195K miles
Rick Reece is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-11-2005, 12:05 PM   #4 (permalink)

fyi: in the US, federal law requires US service depts to maintain 10 years of service parts after a model is discontinued.
Old 08-11-2005, 06:35 PM   #5 (permalink)

I thought parts only had to be maintained for 7 years.
Resist is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-11-2005, 11:13 PM   #6 (permalink)

I'm pretty sure it's 10 years.

Honda was even pretty good at stocking parts for their old Honda Pilot dune buggy. They're 15 years old now and still very impressive. Honda's engineering is stellar and I'm proud to have learned to 'drive' in one of them. I didn't imagine that it would have 40% of the engine displacement of my first Honda car though!
Romir is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-12-2005, 06:49 AM   #7 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to Rick Reece

In regards to tires they stopped making the LRR tires for the Civic VX well before 7 years. You can't get the Insight OEM battery in the US either. Now one could argue that there were alternates in place although the VX replacement tires were not LRR and the Insight replacement battery was not as light. I am sure Honda will take care of stocking batteries but my point was that the age of the battery will be old when installed. In other words 10 years from now they would pull a stocked battery off the shelf that might be 8 years old. I assume the battery has a shelf life so that could be a issue. The replacement warranty is only 12 months but would you get the same life from it as you did from the one that came with the car. Have fun, RIck
Rick 00 #4738 (5sp) Lmpg 91.1 @ 195K miles
Rick Reece is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-12-2005, 08:11 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
I'm pretty sure it's 10 years.
I'm pretty sure it's 7 years.
Resist is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in