Honda to release fuel cell vehicle in 3-4 years!? - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Go Back   Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum > Hybrid and Alternative Fuel Forum > Insight and Honda News

Insightcentral.net is the premier Honda Insight Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-09-2006, 11:10 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Honda to release fuel cell vehicle in 3-4 years!?

Just saw this at Greencarcongress:

http://www.greencarcongress.com/2006...t_hy.html#more

3-4 years is an ambitious target! Guess they've had the frighteners put on them by the lithium boys over at Mitsubishi!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
clett is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-09-2006, 12:29 PM   #2 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Rick

I'm going to believe it when I see it, but that statement comming from Honda, I'm almost tempted to believe it. There is no mention of who or how it will be leased/sold to. I'm betting initially they will only offer it to fleets or government agencies. I'd buy one if I could (reasonably). They just need to have it a plug in with some plug in only range then hydrogen beyond that point.
92 Saturn SC2 Electric, Arizona Alt fuel plate "ZEROGAS"
Rick is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2006, 04:47 AM   #3 (permalink)
Premium Member

Have you seen the Honda jet?

If Honda wants to do it they will! The question is, does it make any sense? Honda built electric cars and four wheel steering sports cars. Those ideas just dried up.

Nevertheless, if it is going to happen you can almost bet the farm Honda will do it first.

The laws of physics don't need changing, but rather our attitude and values. 72.8 LMPG
b1shmu63 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-10-2006, 05:59 AM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by b1shmu63
Have you seen the Honda jet?
That's nothing, have you seen Honda's humanoid robot?

http://world.honda.com/HDTV/ASIMO/

Several high up members of management at Honda have been stating (quite seriously it seems!) for some time that the market for humanoid robots will soon be worth more money than the entire global car market - hence the billions they've sunk into this project!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-10-2006, 11:47 AM   #5 (permalink)

Asimo has been around for quite a while. Nothing really new.

As far as the "4-Wheel Steering sportscars" (and saloons; Accord) and "Electric Cars" go:
Dead-ends maybe, but at least Honda bothered GOING THERE in the first place !!!
No. 166 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2006, 12:15 PM   #6 (permalink)

Market for humanoid robots? What exactly can you do with a humanoid robot that can't be done better/faster/cheaper by either a real human, or specialized machinery? Try as I might, the only use I can think of is as a really expensive sex toy

|
|
james is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2006, 04:07 PM   #7 (permalink)
Premium Member

Bomb removal, Atomic disater cleanup, space exploration, mining disaster recovery, eliminating the wheel chair.

Granted the technology is not there yet, but whenever.

The laws of physics don't need changing, but rather our attitude and values. 72.8 LMPG
b1shmu63 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2006, 05:08 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by james
Market for humanoid robots? What exactly can you do with a humanoid robot
Both Honda and Toyota are building them first to be "partner robots", mainly to help around the house and care for elderly people (of which Japan is soon to have an very large number of). For this same reason, a rapidly ageing population, the Japanese are also concerned that there won't be enough young people working to support the millions of retired. Hence the other major aspect is cheap labour.

The ONLY two things holding back ASIMO etc are software and Moore's law. And let's face it, Moore's law isn't best known for hanging about....

Old 01-11-2006, 12:24 PM   #9 (permalink)

"Bomb removal, Atomic disater cleanup, space exploration, mining disaster recovery..."

All of which are being done by specialized robots, or teleoperated machines. (The distinction isn't always clear - is a Mars rover a robot?) Those robots have forms that fit their functions far better than a humanoid form would. I'd argue that for almost any purpose, other than variations on the sex toy theme, a non-humaniod form would be better suited to the job.

"...eliminating the wheel chair"

This one I don't understand. Are you perhaps thinking of a powered exoskeleton? But that would not be any kind of robot.

"Both Honda and Toyota are building them first to be "partner robots"...

See? Sex toys, basically

"...the other major aspect is cheap labour."

It's far cheaper to just automate the job in the first place. (Or export it to China...) Using humanoid robots instead? Well, the closest analogy I can think of is if the first automobile makers had instead produced mechanical horses that you hitched to your existing buggy. Sure, it could be done, but is it the most effective way?

|
|
james is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-12-2006, 05:35 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Are you perhaps thinking of a powered exoskeleton?
This is what Toyota had a couple of years ago, I've seen a much more advanced version (ie closer to production looking), but can't find the picture.

Quote:
It's far cheaper to just automate the job in the first place. (Or export it to China...)
That's the problem, how will Japanese manufacturing compete with emerging economies with labour rates of 2 dollars per day? Answer, a 24-hour non-union robotic workforce working for the cost of the electricity it takes to run them (not much).

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in