So I got to drive a FCX! - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Go Back   Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum > Hybrid and Alternative Fuel Forum > Insight and Honda News

Insightcentral.net is the premier Honda Insight Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-11-2006, 02:50 AM   #1 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Rick
Default So I got to drive a FCX!

Yesterday I had the distinguished opportunity to drive a Honda FCX fuel cell vehicle. It was at the Clean Cities Expo here in Phoenix, which I guess is the largest alternative fuels expo in the US. Most of the major auto manufactureres had some presence there along with a lot of smaller companies which mostly had to do with fuel delivery or conversion stuff.

Anyways, to the highlight of the day they did a ride and drive session and the line for the FCX was about 3 times longer than any other line (can't blame anyone). They had the back seat open so I actually went for a ride in the back of it a few times before I got to drive it. It has a very unique blue interior, even the steering wheel. The seats centers are a mesh cloth just like the Insight, but blue! The outer fabric being grey, very nice and comfortable. You sit high up in the car, it's like a small mini van. Of course you are sitting essentially above the storage tanks. It even has Navi which will show the nearest Hydrogen refueling station.

It was a bit unnerving driving a 1 Million dollar car, but wow do I want one! I know it's probably actually slower than the Insight or Civic Hybrid for that matter, but it is torquey and feels a lot faster. It has an ultra capacitor behind the rear seat which provides extra power for fast acceleration. It has a gauge on the dash which shows the ultra capacitors state of charge. It sucks up regenerative braking fast, it will go to full in a matter of seconds.

It rides nice, it handles nice, the fit and finish is suprisingly good, considering i was driving #22 off the line. The AC was nice and cold, and it was easily 100 degrees out. I asked when I could buy one and just got laughed at. I'm sold though! I know there are all these obstacles in the way, but I'd own one in a minute if I could (preferably combined with batteries and a plug in ability for in town use). I even got an official FCX pin saying I got to drive one, also got pictures of me in the car, and a little video from the back seat of the drive around the block.

So now I can one up any of my friends who say they got to drive some sort of expensive car... I can say I got to drive a million dollar car. That would be difficult to beat.

I wish the line wern't so long, I wanted to get a picture of me acting like I was drinking out of the tail pipe
92 Saturn SC2 Electric, Arizona Alt fuel plate "ZEROGAS"
Rick is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in