Honda fit NOT to use Insight engine - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Go Back   Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum > Hybrid and Alternative Fuel Forum > Insight and Honda News

Insightcentral.net is the premier Honda Insight Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-12-2006, 12:02 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Honda fit NOT to use Insight engine

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...ticleId=115344

This makes less sense to me. I don't like the quote about the engine being six years old and implying that it is dated. Its still one of the best engines made.
littleshop is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-12-2006, 04:17 AM   #2 (permalink)

The current FIT manual weighs 2432 lbs. the insight manual weighs 1881 lbs. a difference of 551 lbs. I think putting the 1.3L civic engine in it is a good thing for the fit because of the added weight.

Currently I am still undecided between the FIT hybrid or insight, because the final specs of the FIT hybrid is not yet. I have also read somewhere that the FIT-hybrid won't have regen braking. The other thing that is not officially out yet is the pricing.
Captain Planet is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-12-2006, 05:32 AM   #3 (permalink)
Premium Member

No regenerative braking? It would hardly be considered a hybrid at all! Great pains were taken to increase the efficiency of regenerative braking on the new Civic, so this would surprise me big time.

As for the Insight engine, it just won another award for engines under 1,000 cc. Sure a larger engine would give the Fit more pep, it would also add cost and weight and decrease fuel mileage. With a stripped down half price version of the civic engine I doubt it would even do as well as the Civic. How much would the 2432 lb. Fit weight with the automatic tranny (required for cylinder idling), and hybrid battery module of the Civic? Now if Honda has designed an all new hybrid engine for the Fit, great, but I heard that they were only going to sell it in California. I can't confirm that, but it seems like a lot of trouble to design an entirely new engine for one State, unless of course they are going to use the new engine in the Insight as well. We can always hope!

One thing we know from the past is that Honda usually zigs when everyone expects a zag. They are not going to accidentally let something slip unless they want to start people talking. I think all the "leaks" that we are getting about the new Prius is to get people enthused ahead of time, possibly because they are worried that Honda has some radical new improvement that is going to upstage them. In any case Toyota is putting about 10 billion dollars into the new Prius. They will have to move a lot of Prii to pay that off. I suspect they believe the future belongs to hybrids. Honda by definition will do the same, likely with a smaller budget. Don't be fooled into thinking they've turned out the lights and gone home.

"May you live in interesting times", (old Chinese curse).

The laws of physics don't need changing, but rather our attitude and values. 72.8 LMPG
b1shmu63 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-12-2006, 11:37 AM   #4 (permalink)

Why not a 4-cylinder version of the Insight engine? Something I see in places like oil filter lookup charts as an Insight option

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
james is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in