yummy - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Go Back   Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum > Hybrid and Alternative Fuel Forum > Insight and Honda News

Insightcentral.net is the premier Honda Insight Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-03-2007, 01:10 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default yummy

Ok, just looked at that Tesla... dreamy... but even if I would have to sell my $100,000 house and live in it for $93,000! Maybe if I went to med-school instead of nursing school one might be on my radar. If I did that, by the time I graduated, I could buy a cheap electric for sure...
Plus, gee a $50,000 down payment for something you won't get for another year? Ouch... better off in the stock market...
1991 Honda Accord Wagon
jenpetosa is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-17-2007, 12:21 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: yummy

Quote:
... that Tesla... dreamy... I could buy a cheap electric ...
... or build your own!? When you have a moment, have a look at http://www.robertqriley.com

Pull up the web page for the plan set for his URBA ELECTRIC or the other one he calls URBA CAR. There's also a three wheeler (a modified motorcycle (or if you wish, an all electric version) all of which might be worth looking at.

On this end, I bought the plans for both the Urba Electric and the Urba before finding out about the little Honda Insight.

The true cost(s) to (properly) build these Urba vehicles which Riley offers plans for, is about ten thousand dollars, when you take into account material AND labor. The new Insight cost me just slightly over seventeen thousand, so I opted for the Insight which came with a few "bells, whistles and chrome" I wouldn't have otherwise had were I to build one or both of the cars I'd bought plans for.

You might note, when the plans for the Urba and the Urba Electric (both are different cars by the way) the battery technology and the small engine technology in those days was no where near as advanced as it is at present and will shortly be; NiCAD cells and the more advanced NiMHD cells and like were just lab curiosities in those days. But make no mistake, the plans for the fiberglass shells and the steel tube frames are just as valild today as they were when first drawn up.

If you honestly want an all electric vehicle for highway use, do have a good look at the Tesla, then consider what you might be able to do with that same power supply system were you to build your own vehicle shell using one of those Riley plans or plans like it - of which there have been and continue to be many.

Hope this helps some :-)

Fred / Proud Owner of "The Silver Bullet"
Fred is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-13-2007, 10:38 AM   #3 (permalink)

There are quite a few conversion sites out there, but there's also ZAP! if you'd prefer something cheaper than the Tesla.
Check 'em out.
http://www.zapworld.com/
Martini is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-14-2007, 11:44 AM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
... Check 'em out.
I looked. I saw. I don't believe them; the "scooter" yes but not the car.

What they claim seems to me to be just too good to be true.

Fred / Proud Owner of "The Silver Bullet"
Fred is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-23-2007, 10:26 PM   #5 (permalink)

25 miles per charge seems pretty believable to me... I'm not sure what is so "advanced" about that however.
rtm242 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-24-2007, 07:41 PM   #6 (permalink)

I love the Tesla Roadster!!!
gomarlins3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in