Latest Honda FCX info - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Go Back   Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum > Hybrid and Alternative Fuel Forum > Insight and Honda News

Insightcentral.net is the premier Honda Insight Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-09-2007, 07:15 PM   #1 (permalink)
Lee

Default Latest Honda FCX info

Honda is showing there new FCX concept car in the US this year (it made the rounds in Japan last year from what I can tell). They opened up a new web site with a nicely polished dog and pony show to promote it. However they do not ‘close the loop’ with information about there efforts to make PV cells (Honda has an H2 filling station in California that is solar powered) and there marketing intentions.

http://world.honda.com/fcx/
’97 Civic HX 252k miles
’06 Insight #619
Lee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-09-2007, 07:33 PM   #2 (permalink)

Rear seat head room looks compromised.
Guillermo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2007, 12:09 AM   #3 (permalink)

Efficient hydrogen fuel production still seems challenging, even with some solar assist in production...the "embodied energy" problem.

Please excuse my dumbness, but is this new car a Hydrogen FC-Li Battery hybrid?
3rd Insight: Silver 2010 new!
sputnik is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-10-2007, 12:10 PM   #4 (permalink)
Lee

Yes, it’s a ‘hybrid’. After making a FC that could accommodate the maximum demand of the motor and making IC hybrids they figured out that you could reduce the size of the FC stack and use a battery to make up for the max demand spikes, same basic principle as the Insight.
’97 Civic HX 252k miles
’06 Insight #619
Lee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2007, 01:40 PM   #5 (permalink)

Default wow

I want the Hydrogen maker that comes with it!
Old 06-14-2007, 10:34 AM   #6 (permalink)

As have many of you, I've been keeping an ear cocked for news regarding the introduction of fuel cell vehicles.

As it stands now, it wouldn't surprise me that Honda will be the first one "out of the gate" with such a car but it's the short range - only two hundred or so miles if I'm not mistaken - of these initial offerings which tells me which like the Insight, these vehicles will not come close to being the economic success in the market place which will lead to the continued production of these cars.

However, based on my experience with "The Silver Bullet", and the first Honda I've ever owned, I for one wish Hona well and hope I'm wrong.

Fred / Proud Owner of "The Silver Bullet"
Fred is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-14-2007, 03:16 PM   #7 (permalink)
Premium Member

FCX is wonderful to look at and would probably make a good marriage in the hands of an appropriate suitor. However, regardless of what the "average man" thinks he wants, he's likely to be happier with something more practical. Ahhhh.......what were we talking about?

The laws of physics don't need changing, but rather our attitude and values. 72.8 LMPG
b1shmu63 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-14-2007, 03:39 PM   #8 (permalink)

I wonder how much it will cost... for only 200 miles, you'd think it'd be cheap, but I bet it'll cost around $100,000.
Hitokage is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-15-2007, 05:01 AM   #9 (permalink)
Premium Member

The original FCX concept cost over a million. Fuel cells use Platinum as a catalyst. The search is on to find a cheaper alternative. Likewise the search is on to find a method of storing the hydrogen at a lower pressure by absorbing it into a porous lattice. Add to this that transporting hydrogen is problematic due to low power density and hydrogen embrittlement of metals and that handling pressurized flammable gasses presents safety and practicality issues that are familiar to welders and owners of natural gas vehicles. Nevertheless, if anyone can make this happen I'm convinced it will be Honda.

Would I want one? You better believe it! Of course, I owned a custom modified natural gas powered Honda Prelude, until the Quebec government shut down all the refueling stations. Sound like a familiar tactic for new and alternative technologies?

I promoted natural gas technology then. Now I promote hybrid technology because I believe it will supply the research and sales that will lead to the future technologies we are going to need as fossil fuels diminish. After all the FCX is a hybrid.

The laws of physics don't need changing, but rather our attitude and values. 72.8 LMPG
b1shmu63 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-15-2007, 09:41 AM   #10 (permalink)

http://www.switch2hydrogen.com/

Looks like this is a great way to store hydrogen.
JakkedUp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in