Tennessean Article - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Go Back   Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum > Hybrid and Alternative Fuel Forum > Insight and Honda News

Insightcentral.net is the premier Honda Insight Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-05-2007, 04:17 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Tennessean Article

Here is a link to an article that was in today's Tennessean:

http://www.tennessean.com/apps/pbcs.dll ... /706050330

I was amazed that I actually made the FRONT page!

Andrea

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2001 Insight, 64.1 LMPG
2004 Prius, 42 mpg to 58 mpg
apierpoint is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-05-2007, 04:37 PM   #2 (permalink)

Congratulations! Looking tidy (the car)
2005 Insight, UK Spec Silver 5 speed with Grid Charger, IMA C&C, Alpine stereo & subwoofer & iPod link, Focal component speakers, rear Gaz shocks & Matiz springs, Shark Fin aerial, sound deadened rear shelf, 'InsightCentral' reg plates
Also own 2011 Mk2 Insight ES. Previous owner of 1999 Japanese Silver 5sp, 2001 UK Citrus 5sp & 2000 Japanese Red CVT
Honda Insight - An extraordinary car for ordinary people
The Citrus Smoothie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-05-2007, 10:35 PM   #3 (permalink)

I found the comments interesting, especially the one about 18-wheelers suddenly stopping

I've got a kind of rule of thumb about it myself. I just look at how close the typical 18-wheeler is to the vehicle in front, given moderately heavy traffic, then I figure it's my business to be able to avoid hitting his rear end.

|
|
james is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-05-2007, 10:46 PM   #4 (permalink)

Way to go! It was great to see an Insight on the front page. So often it seems like Prius get all the attention.

Hey are you coming up and competing in the Hybridfest MPG Challenge in July? Then your paper could do a follow up story.

608-729-4082

Mobile service also available
ericbecky is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-06-2007, 08:47 AM   #5 (permalink)

Sorry, can't make it to Hybridfest, although I really wish I could! I've been sick too much this year and don't have any time off from work. And that's a long drive from Nashville!

The comments on the story really are interesting. What's funny is that people talk about how instead of buying hybrids we should be focusing on less consumption... Umm, I thought that's what I'm doing... I use at least 1/3 less gas now than I did before in my truck, and I changed all of my bulbs in my home to CFL's, I walk when I can, I recycle everything that my county will take, I keep my heat set on 68 and air set on 76. What more do they want?

2001 Insight, 64.1 LMPG
Old 06-06-2007, 02:50 PM   #6 (permalink)

Wow, that is pretty cool that you made the newspaper. Question though, it states in the caption that "she maximizes by driving slowly and not using heat or air". I'm not clear on how not using heat helps gas economy. Please help me to understand how since I haven't heard of that till now.
JakkedUp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-06-2007, 03:04 PM   #7 (permalink)

Typically it takes 30 tons of semi-trailer much longer to stop than less than one ton of Honda Insight. Don't be stupid and you won't rear end the truck. Besides, a trailer has two sweet spots. One right behind and one a much safer distance away. I like the "if you can't see his windows, he can't see you"... oh, so that way he won't know I'm drafting him and he won't get upset then... gotcha.

I ponder the heat and air conditioner thing as well. I've never noticed a significant drop in mileage using either... as long as I stay at the 2nd setting.

Also, the article opening about the "perilously close" to tracker trailers... that doesn't sound like what drafting entails.

Congrats on getting the Insight on page one though.
JimmyHiggins is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-06-2007, 03:59 PM   #8 (permalink)

Yeah, I really don't drive "perilously close" to them. I told her you can stay about 2 seconds away and it's ok. I also said that when you're drafting, you're focused - no eating, talking on the phone, etc.

The other day I had on a really nice dress and it was incredibly hot and I didn't want to get sweaty, so I HAD to turn on my a/c. My battery immediately started dropping. It did a recal and took about a day to recover once I turned off the a/c. My gas mileage on that tank also took a nosedive. There is a good description of why using the heat uses more gas in the comments under the article. Whoever it explained it did a good job.

I also think my battery is on its last leg. It's doing frequent recals now and it takes much longer to recover. No IMA light yet.

2001 Insight, 64.1 LMPG
Old 06-17-2007, 11:55 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
"I really don't drive "perilously close" to them ... when you're drafting, you're focused - no eating, talking on the phone, etc. "
The risk of severe injury is just NOT worth it, not if you honestly stop to consider the increased probabilities of vehicle damage - YOURS - let alone the medical damage, again - YOURS.

If you rear-end one of those trailers you will probably scrape some of the paint off of his undersides and if you're lucky, you'll die quickly - and if you're not, you might linger on for decades , perhaps doing good enough to drive a wheel chair. The rehab wards across the country have more than just a few former youthful drivers who were reckless when out on the highway, people who would never again, if they could, take such insane risks. Girl, it's just not worth it! Think about it!

Fred / Proud Owner of "The Silver Bullet"
Fred is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-17-2007, 12:28 PM   #10 (permalink)

From my read what's often interchanged with drafting is "surfing".

To safely surf at highway speed maintain the 3 second rule (sufficient stopping distance) and you'll need an 18 wheeler with a big box trailer. Stay in the truck's wake. You can feel the buffeting and see the MPG increase on the gauge. But from my few highway forays they don't like being followed like this anymore than being "drafted".

p.s. Congrats Andrea Great Insight ambassadorship

HTH!

Insightful Trekker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in