Honda planning sub-Fit CRX hybrid? - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Go Back   Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum > Hybrid and Alternative Fuel Forum > Insight and Honda News

Insightcentral.net is the premier Honda Insight Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-11-2007, 02:11 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Honda planning sub-Fit CRX hybrid?

Anyone catch this one yet? Looks like an interesting rumor at least.

Honda planning sub-Fit CRX hybrid?

07/11/07, 09:17am, EDT
july2007/hondafit.jpg

When Honda reinvents the sporty CRX for the 2011 model year, it will reportedly feature a hybrid powertrain under its hood, rather than a small, rev-happy motor like the first CRX, which was sold in the U.S. through 1991.

Winding Road reports that the reinvented CRX has been pushed back from '09 to '11 and that Honda's product planners have decided to make the updated CRX more like the now-defunct Insight. They also report that neither the Small Hybrid Sports Coupe concept nor the REMIX conceptwas a preview of the upcoming CRX, which will be shown in October at the Tokyo Motor Show.

The original CRX was sold in two generations in the U.S. from 1984-91 and it featured 1.5-liter four-cylinder engines that ranged from 58 to 108 horsepower. The CRX truly was diminutive, measuring just 148 inches from bumper to bumper. The Fit, Honda's smallest car currently sold in the U.S., is ten inches longer but has four doors. The Fit isn't available with a hybrid powertrain.

http://www.leftlanenews.com/honda-plann ... ybrid.html
SCCthree is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-11-2007, 06:52 PM   #2 (permalink)

Thanks for posting -- I'd buy one today! I'd love to have a second Insight -- mine is always used by my better half for driving to work, and I have to drive my gas-guzzlin' Ridgeline... it's so hard to find Insights here in SoCal, and I can't bring myself to get a Prius... they're so... cliché...
Old 07-13-2007, 03:14 PM   #3 (permalink)
Premium Member

Assuming they do release a new CRX in 2011, it will have the benefit of 12 years of hybrid building experience and feedback, as well as advancements in electronic and battery technology. It could be impressive! Pancake rear wheel motors for 4 wheel traction, silicon carbide transistors and lithium batteries pleeeease.

The laws of physics don't need changing, but rather our attitude and values. 72.8 LMPG
b1shmu63 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-13-2007, 03:37 PM   #4 (permalink)

"The CRX truly was diminutive..."

The writer obviously never drove an Austin-Healey Sprite Or any of a number of other cars I could name. My CRX was actually fairly roomy in comparison: I could carry my mountain bike without undoing its back wheel (which I have to do to get it into the Insight) - not to mention hauling things ranging from plants & lumber to the cowling off my Piper.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
james is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-13-2007, 05:11 PM   #5 (permalink)

cool, a kindred spirit! i have had 2 sprites, and i grew up with pipers. then i worked on them (and all others) for 16 years!
Old 10-08-2007, 11:07 PM   #6 (permalink)

Default 2001 Insight and 1987 CRX Si

I own a 1987 CRX Si and a 2001 Insight. Combine the two with new technology and I am first in line to buy!
170000 miles
63.2 lifetime
southern AZ
ibjeff is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-09-2007, 01:22 AM   #7 (permalink)
Premium Member

Welcome to the forum ibjeff. I have an 89 CRX SI in yellow no less and of course an Insight. The "gas guzzlin" CRX hasn't seen action in a while.

The laws of physics don't need changing, but rather our attitude and values. 72.8 LMPG
b1shmu63 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-09-2007, 12:11 PM   #8 (permalink)

FYI:

There are now pictures of the new "CR-Z" concept on the net. From the back, it looks like this is the next evolutionary design; a successor to the CRX/Insight design.

Here's a picture for reference:

http://www.autoblog.com/photos/honda-cr ... pt/430861/

Charles
Rai Ka is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-09-2007, 03:27 PM   #9 (permalink)

Not bad, except for the glass roof. Whoever thought that up never spent a summer in Nevada!

|
|
james is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-09-2007, 03:29 PM   #10 (permalink)

I love the look of that CRZ. Now if only Honda would get on with making the global small hybrid (hopefully arriving in 2009), NSX replacement (now put back to 2010) and this CRZ. Even Honda admit themselves that there is a bit of a product lull at the moment. Grrrr...
2005 Insight, UK Spec Silver 5 speed with Grid Charger, IMA C&C, Alpine stereo & subwoofer & iPod link, Focal component speakers, rear Gaz shocks & Matiz springs, Shark Fin aerial, sound deadened rear shelf, 'InsightCentral' reg plates
Also own 2011 Mk2 Insight ES. Previous owner of 1999 Japanese Silver 5sp, 2001 UK Citrus 5sp & 2000 Japanese Red CVT
Honda Insight - An extraordinary car for ordinary people
The Citrus Smoothie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in