Insight name coming back - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Go Back   Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum > Hybrid and Alternative Fuel Forum > Insight and Honda News

Insightcentral.net is the premier Honda Insight Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-04-2008, 08:27 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Insight name coming back

Auto Blog Green: Paris Preview Honda Insight Concept to be New Global Hybrid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoBlogGreen
Honda has just released the first official photos of its eagerly-anticipated new dedicated hybrid car that will debut early in 2009. The car that until now had been referred to by Honda officials simply as the "Global Hybrid" will revive the popular Insight name from the company's first hybrid model. Although Honda is officially calling the car that will be shown in Paris next month a concept, these concepts tend to be extremely close to the final production version. Given the similarity to the spy photos we've seen already we shouldn't expect much to change before launch next year. The Insight does bear a strong resemblance to the larger FCX Clarity fuel cell car although as with most hybrids, the current Honda three bar grill design is actually a solid piece for optimized aerodynamics. Honda has already said that it has cut the cost of its IMA hybrid system in half for the Insight and the new Insight's price is expected to start in the neighborhood of $18,500. Honda is expecting about 200,000 world wide sales of the Insight with half of those going to the U.S.
So what do you all think about this? Honestly I'm a bit disappointed. It seems like this car won't be nearly as spectacular as our Insights. They don't even look remotely the same, it's not even a coupe! I know this is more along the lines of what most people want... I'm happy Honda is coming out with another hybrid. Though, I've got to wonder how much different this is going to be from the Civic Hybrid, or why they can't make that cheaper. I just wish they could come up with a new name. If you ask me, this is not an Insight.

Oops, I just realized this should be in the Honda news forum... I never go to any other category besides this one. If one of the mods wants to merge this with the correct posting in the news section that'd be great. Sorry!
IMAhybrid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-04-2008, 08:36 PM   #2 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

Default Re: Insight name coming back

It looks like a good HEV... It looks like more people will buy it...

I hope they do not use the Insight name....

That would be like Lamborghini ( If they didn't go belly up ) coming out with a $10,000 economy box car and calling it the "Countach".

I think Honda Should reserve the "Insight" Name for future releases of very advanced FE design... The Next Insight should at the very least include PHEV stock... Ideally with a Carbon Fiber or other advanced material frame ... with even better Aerodynamics ... etc...etc...

But , if they do go ahead with the plan and call the new HEV Insight... then Insight Central here will begin to possibly get visits from owners and shoppers who are considering the new Insight and or who are driving it... and Insight Central will need a Face Lift in the data Bases and such to include details on the Insight II as it now does for the Insight....

Still hopping they change their minds and call it something else.
  • oo-MT-I1: MIMA(#024)+FAS+OBDIC&C+HighwaterDashResetButtons+A C CompressorBypass+LiFePO4PHEV~2.5kwhIMA 1p48s +Auxiliary12v~1.6kwh LiFePO4 8p4s+BCM-Fooler+BCM-Interceptor+EVDisplay Meter +420w Solar 120Roof/105Hatch/85Dash/110Hood +RearGazShocks+KLR3CYL Springs F&B+Manual DC-DC +1.3kwAC Charger +LED Headlights +PTC Heat IMA Battery
  • On-Going Projects: Improved EV-Mode+ More Insight Solar+TEG +v2-Li-IMA
IamIan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-04-2008, 11:24 PM   #3 (permalink)

Any chance of it beating 00-06' MPG?
Will it have an MT option?
IMA Batt & Invert @ 123K
Next: MIMA and TPS damping
gas_burner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-05-2008, 05:56 AM   #4 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gas_burner
Any chance of it beating 00-06' MPG?
Will it have an MT option?
Larger Vehicle = More Weight , Less Aerodynamic
Heavier materials used ( Not Aluminum ) = Heavier Weight

More Weight means to get consumer happy performance means large displacement engine.

it will get lower MPG than the old grandpa original Insight...

It will have more Utility ... but I don't need more seating than the 2 seater Insight so any additional seating is useless.
  • oo-MT-I1: MIMA(#024)+FAS+OBDIC&C+HighwaterDashResetButtons+A C CompressorBypass+LiFePO4PHEV~2.5kwhIMA 1p48s +Auxiliary12v~1.6kwh LiFePO4 8p4s+BCM-Fooler+BCM-Interceptor+EVDisplay Meter +420w Solar 120Roof/105Hatch/85Dash/110Hood +RearGazShocks+KLR3CYL Springs F&B+Manual DC-DC +1.3kwAC Charger +LED Headlights +PTC Heat IMA Battery
  • On-Going Projects: Improved EV-Mode+ More Insight Solar+TEG +v2-Li-IMA
IamIan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-05-2008, 07:50 AM   #5 (permalink)

Wow, how.... Prius-y...

I do like the LED running lamps and headlights if they make it to production... looks like a sharp looking car.

Definitely NOT an Insight, but if using the name will benefit Honda, and that's what it takes for more hybrid models to be successful and accepted by the public at large, then, I guess I can live with it.

I'm old enough to remember the almost-universal moaning, weeping, wailing, and gnashing of teeth that ensued when the original T-birds went to four seats... and when they went to a four-door model, you'd have thought Lee Iacocca had shot his mother and his children in cold blood on the steps of the Courthouse, after half an hour spent drawing a crowd...

Perhaps Insight Central will change the masthead to Insights Central...
Old 09-05-2008, 09:17 AM   #6 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to Aaron Cake Send a message via Yahoo to Aaron Cake

It looks like a bloody Prius.

It's unfortunate that they have now blurred the Insight name. It used to stand for purity in function. Now it means the same thing as "Civic".

How utterly disappointing.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2000 Insight:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, 5 Speed, "144VOLTS" Plates, BlackVue DR650GW-2CH Dashcam

Aaron Cake is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-05-2008, 10:27 AM   #7 (permalink)

Does anyone have any actual MPG numbers?
Sad that they aren't letting that out--I suspect it's bad

And i agree--they should not use the Insight name.

bug_girl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-05-2008, 01:16 PM   #8 (permalink)

Shame on Honda!!!
All I can say is what an insult that Honda 'Prius' copy is to us true Insight enthusiasts and owners, who really know and appreciate the true hybrid value and engineering genious of our 2-seater original Insights. It's insulting to me that Honda decided to use the Insight name for this new concept, cause it seems to take away from the true value and recognition of our originals. I bet it won't even be available in a 5-speed, which makes it less appealing.
I hope it's a flop.
ed kayen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-08-2008, 01:02 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron Cake
It looks like a bloody Prius.
It's unfortunate that they have now blurred the Insight name. It used to stand for purity in function. Now it means the same thing as "Civic".
How utterly disappointing.
Ditto.

Shame on you, Honda Marketing (expletive deleted)!

JoeS.
Tesla S 85kWh
JoeMultihuller is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-08-2008, 07:40 PM   #10 (permalink)

The new vehicle should not be called the Insight as the INSIGHT is "one of a kind".

Maybe it's time to protest to Hond Corp. for their designated name on the "new hybrid".
Letters, E mails, etc.
I don't think that Ford would come out with a model named "A".

Willie
My 3 cents worth.
MaxIMA Battery (Serial #2), on 8/25/12 @ 301,000 miles
Another MaxIMA Battery, on 6/25/17 @ 399,252 miles
Use: 438,000 mi. @ 58.2 LMPG.

Willie Williford is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in