mpg on new insight? - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Go Back   Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum > Hybrid and Alternative Fuel Forum > Insight and Honda News

Insightcentral.net is the premier Honda Insight Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-09-2008, 09:33 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default mpg on new insight?

Anyone know the projected mpg on the new insight?
Advertisement

Old 10-09-2008, 10:15 AM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: mpg on new insight?

I don't believe Honda has made public any official figures. I suppose they shall be forthcoming with the production car's debut at the Detroit Auto Show. Unofficially, it's rumored that the mpg figures are the same as the Civic Hybrid, a few mpg short of the current Prius. I'd be disappointed if this were the case.
Patrickmilburn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-09-2008, 02:59 PM   #3 (permalink)

I think there are two things that are holding the economy down into the 50 mpg range. First, you have to design your car so it does well on the EPA tests. Second, you have to design it so it is drivable in today's (crazy) driving conditions. That means you need enough power to go 75 mph uphill when fully loaded, enough to accelerate onto the freeway ahead of the giant pickup truck pulling a huge horse trailer, and enough to out-drag the hot rod WRXs and EVOs at the stop light.

I bet that we don't see a 75 mpg five passenger car until we get a sensible national speed limit of 55 mph or so...
Dougie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-10-2008, 12:44 AM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dougie
I bet that we don't see a 75 mpg five passenger car until we get a sensible national speed limit of 55 mph or so...
a national speed limit of 55 mph isnt going to slow anyone down...theres a growing number of drivers who NEVER saw the speed limit at 55 when it was(i only barely remember it when i was younger)...so even if the national speed limit is dropped to 55...its only going to increase speeding fines...no ones going to slow down...and everyones still going to want just as powerful a car...the sad truth
Past Vehicles:
'00 Honda Insight, '06 Honda CBR600f4i, '93 Mazda MX-3, '91 Honda Civic
ikhoudvanu199 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-12-2008, 07:22 PM   #5 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikhoudvanu199
a national speed limit of 55 mph isnt going to slow anyone down...theres a growing number of drivers who NEVER saw the speed limit at 55 when it was(i only barely remember it when i was younger)...so even if the national speed limit is dropped to 55...its only going to increase speeding fines...no ones going to slow down...and everyones still going to want just as powerful a car...the sad truth
except we don't have to rely on speed law enforcement or the citizens being law abiding...

most new vehicles already have computer controlled speed limits put on them...

It would not cost $1 more to just change that computer controlled speed limit to 55 MPH when the car is built ... and then you have to either hack the CAN code, or hack the speed sensor ... both of which are doable ... but well beyond the abilities of 90% of the population... thus the national speed limit is enforced by not giving you the choice to do anything but comply.

You just have emergency vehicles like Police, Ambulance, and Fire allowed legally to have the speed limits changed... for everyone else its a crime...

Speeding problem solved.
  • oo-MT-I1: MIMA(#024)+FAS+OBDIC&C+HighwaterDashResetButtons+A C CompressorBypass+LiFePO4PHEV~2.5kwhIMA 1p48s +Auxiliary12v~1.6kwh LiFePO4 8p4s+BCM-Fooler+BCM-Interceptor+EVDisplay Meter +420w Solar 120Roof/105Hatch/85Dash/110Hood +RearGazShocks+KLR3CYL Springs F&B+Manual DC-DC +1.3kwAC Charger +LED Headlights +PTC Heat IMA Battery
  • On-Going Projects: Improved EV-Mode+ More Insight Solar+TEG +v2-Li-IMA
IamIan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-13-2008, 06:29 PM   #6 (permalink)

I watched a video on YouTube from the Paris auto show. The commentator said it would get about the same mileage as the Civic Hybrid. I'm hoping the CR-Z gets our Insight type mileage.
Old 10-13-2008, 06:41 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamIan
Quote:
Originally Posted by ikhoudvanu199
except we don't have to rely on speed law enforcement or the citizens being law abiding...

most new vehicles already have computer controlled speed limits put on them...

It would not cost $1 more to just change that computer controlled speed limit to 55 MPH when the car is built ... and then you have to either hack the CAN code, or hack the speed sensor ... both of which are doable ... but well beyond the abilities of 90% of the population... thus the national speed limit is enforced by not giving you the choice to do anything but comply.

You just have emergency vehicles like Police, Ambulance, and Fire allowed legally to have the speed limits changed... for everyone else its a crime...

Speeding problem solved.
That's what I never understood. If the speed limit is 55 or 75, why do they build cars with 200, 300, 400 horsepower that can go crazy fast? Even our little 67 horsepower Insight has a top speed of 113mph. Why do they build cars that can go three or four times the speed limit? If we are in an oil crisis, why are we building cars that get lousy mileage? Build the cars so the top speed is maybe 10mph faster than the top speed limit.
Old 10-13-2008, 07:38 PM   #8 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfivelover
That's what I never understood. If the speed limit is 55 or 75, why do they build cars with 200, 300, 400 horsepower that can go crazy fast? Even our little 67 horsepower Insight has a top speed of 113mph. Why do they build cars that can go three or four times the speed limit? If we are in an oil crisis, why are we building cars that get lousy mileage? Build the cars so the top speed is maybe 10mph faster than the top speed limit.
I bet it is 2 major pieces...

#1> People love to feel / have available to them that acceleration off the line from a dead stop going up a steep hill... and that takes allot of power.... or still have the quick acceleration at 50+ MPH highway speed going up a steep hill to zoom past someone.

#2> People like knowing they can go 150MPH if they want to ... even if it is illegal , dangerous, stupid , etc... they still like knowing they can.

---

So we have put the entertainment value of dangerous and illegal driving as a higher priority than enforcing speed and safe driving laws and or trying to converse fuel.
  • oo-MT-I1: MIMA(#024)+FAS+OBDIC&C+HighwaterDashResetButtons+A C CompressorBypass+LiFePO4PHEV~2.5kwhIMA 1p48s +Auxiliary12v~1.6kwh LiFePO4 8p4s+BCM-Fooler+BCM-Interceptor+EVDisplay Meter +420w Solar 120Roof/105Hatch/85Dash/110Hood +RearGazShocks+KLR3CYL Springs F&B+Manual DC-DC +1.3kwAC Charger +LED Headlights +PTC Heat IMA Battery
  • On-Going Projects: Improved EV-Mode+ More Insight Solar+TEG +v2-Li-IMA
IamIan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-14-2008, 09:57 AM   #9 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to Aaron Cake Send a message via Yahoo to Aaron Cake

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfivelover
Some people enjoy high horsepower cars. I agree that most people don't need a car like that (does anyone really need that much power?), but then again most people don't need a lot of the things they have. I'm willing to bet that very few people have really ever floored their car for more then a second or so, so much of that extra HP is wasted anyway.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2000 Insight:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, 5 Speed, "144VOLTS" Plates, BlackVue DR650GW-2CH Dashcam

Aaron Cake is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-25-2008, 07:11 AM   #10 (permalink)

One thing not mentioned in the above answers is the size and weight of the vehicles in question. Build them bigger and heavier with lots of rolling resistance and lousy aerodynamics and the horsepower is needed to obtain the same speeds as our Insights,Same goes for acceleration.
Of course this is the end result of what everyone else has said.....the desires instilled into the buyer by media and manufacturers of the type vehicle they need is the root cause.
Some of the problem is down to men's need to forever prove themselve's (Ego ) by desiring a fast powerful noisey car of attractive shape or the latest preferably of military origin, macho monster vehicle.
Our whole motoring culture seems to be based mostly on ego fulfilment rather than sensible transport requirements.

DGate
Dgate is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in