Woman takes unique road to sue Honda over mileage - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Go Back   Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum > Hybrid and Alternative Fuel Forum > Insight and Honda News

Insightcentral.net is the premier Honda Insight Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-03-2012, 11:21 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Woman takes unique road to sue Honda over mileage

Woman takes unique road to sue Honda over mileage - Yahoo! News
2010 EX with Zenex 35W HID Ballasts with Retrofit Source 4,300K Bulbs; with relay harness. Honda Splash Guards. Honda Vent Visors. Honda Rear Bumper Applique. Honda All Weather Floor Mats and Cargo Tray. Honda Leather Steering Wheel Cover. Yokohama Avid Touring S 195 60 15 Tires. Insulated doors for road noise with Quick Roof. kjanracings window rattle fix. Honda Accord Low Horn Upgrade.
firsthonda is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-03-2012, 11:46 AM   #2 (permalink)

Interesting, Firsthonda. If you see a story about whether she won or lost, post it here. I'll keep the URL in mind, too, in case she updates the result there.
pjaymac is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2012, 11:58 AM   #3 (permalink)

Wow, did you read some of the messages of support at her site here?

Dont Settle With Honda

It really makes one think about the wisdom of buying a Honda hybrid.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-03-2012, 12:10 PM   #4 (permalink)

She must drive like an idiot. My 04 Civic hybrid has a badly degraded battery (I get about 10 seconds full assist and about 20 seconds of 4-5 bars, then lots of recaling) and I have yet to have a tank less than 50 mpg.

Gas brake honk, gas brake honk, honk honk punch, gas gas gas.

Sam

RIP 2000 Insight, 40k miles @ 69.2 mpg
2000 Insight, AKA "The Basket Case" or "The Go Pod" @185k miles @ 63.5 mpg
-IMAC&C, OBDIIC&C, Scott's aero panel, grid charger, cheapo sound system
samwichse is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2012, 12:20 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjaymac View Post
Wow, did you read some of the messages of support at her site here?

Dont Settle With Honda

It really makes one think about the wisdom of buying a Honda hybrid.
Don't listen to her. She's a dingbat and a lawyer.

Go on fuelly or look on here and see what folks are getting with their Honda's.

The EPA numbers for my car(2010) is 40/43/41. Depending on how much highway driving I do, O get anywhere between 42-48 MPG per tank. On the higways, I typicaly get in the upper 40's to the low 50's and just drive like normal. If I hipermiled i'd do even better.
2010 EX with Zenex 35W HID Ballasts with Retrofit Source 4,300K Bulbs; with relay harness. Honda Splash Guards. Honda Vent Visors. Honda Rear Bumper Applique. Honda All Weather Floor Mats and Cargo Tray. Honda Leather Steering Wheel Cover. Yokohama Avid Touring S 195 60 15 Tires. Insulated doors for road noise with Quick Roof. kjanracings window rattle fix. Honda Accord Low Horn Upgrade.
Old 01-03-2012, 12:22 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by firsthonda View Post
Don't listen to her. She's a dingbat and a lawyer.

Go on fuelly or look on here and see what folks are getting with their Honda's.

The EPA numbers for my car(2010) is 40/43/41. Depending on how much highway driving I do, O get anywhere between 42-48 MPG per tank. On the higways, I typicaly get in the upper 40's to the low 50's and just drive like normal. If I hipermiled i'd do even better.
Fair enough, but I was referring to the people who have written in to support her. They've all had bad experiences with their Civic Hybrids, too. Are they all idiots, or was Honda doing something wrong?
Old 01-03-2012, 12:43 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjaymac View Post
Fair enough, but I was referring to the people who have written in to support her. They've all had bad experiences with their Civic Hybrids, too. Are they all idiots, or was Honda doing something wrong?
I cant say 100% for sure because I don't have a Civic Hybrid. However it has the exact same IMA, with a larger Hybrid Battery and the same 1.3 motor.(pre 2011 models) I think the new model has a 1.5L and gets better fuel economy.

As far as all of them being idots, I'm sure some of them are idiots, others uninformed and motivated by $.

Last edited by firsthonda; 01-03-2012 at 03:57 PM.
Old 01-03-2012, 05:21 PM   #8 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

30 mpg? She must use the same circuit and driving style as the CR did. I drove an 08 or so hch and thought it felt really nice. The assist was lacking, but it seem to regen plenty. I averaged 42mpg on my little test drive.

I should do something like this against allstate or progressive. My new job is an auditor for insurance under writers. The system was down, so I did some browsing on diminished liability and non fault accidents, etc. Seems VA allows diminish value and with a non fault settlement I was suppose to sign something.

Cobb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-05-2012, 10:03 AM   #9 (permalink)

I can see Honda coming at her on driving style, maintenance record, and if she took advantage of lemon laws. I mean, if it's THAT BAD in the first year, the Texas lemon law says the dealer has to take it back.
zzzptm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-05-2012, 06:47 PM   #10 (permalink)

This story was reported on NPR's "All Things Considered" today, so it's getting national attention.

While I agree that many hybrid owners don't know how to or won't drive to get good fuel efficiency, Honda is to blame for a poorly-designed hybrid system. Most buyers buy hybrids to save money. But the purchase price of hybrids is considerably higher than equivalent non-hybrids, so owners need to recoup this additional cost in the better fuel efficiency available from hybrids before they begin to save money. Then Honda applies a firmware update to try to compensate for a poorly-designed hybrid system, and this update further reduces their fuel efficiency. Expensive battery packs continue to fail at an unacceptable rate. Honda has been good replacing battery packs under warranty, but after the warranty expires, owners are stuck with expensive replacement costs.

So many Honda hybrid owners who expected to save money driving their hybrids never do and feel cheated. With Honda doing little to improve this situation (really, what could Honda do to fix existing flawed IMA systems?), the legal system is the only recourse other than selling one's Honda hybrid and never buying a Honda again. But many people today really cannot afford to buy a new car when they had planned on keeping their "reliable" Honda for many years. So for some, it's a tough situation.
Sold 16 July 2017: 2000 Insight A/C #559 with Honda security system, Genesis One MIMA+FAS and grid charger, OBDIIC&C, Rostra, Fumoto, DEFA engine block heater, Philips LED DRL's
2014 BMW i3 BEV
aisbell is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in