Insight/CRZ over and done for Europe? - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Go Back   Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum > Hybrid and Alternative Fuel Forum > Insight and Honda News

Insightcentral.net is the premier Honda Insight Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-18-2013, 03:24 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Insight/CRZ over and done for Europe?

According to something that came up in the news today (in Greek, apologies for that:http://www.drive.gr/news/kosmos/synt...sight-kai-cr-z) Honda will stop selling both the Insight and CRZ in Europe quite soon. The reasons might be that the Civic and Jazz (Fit for the US, i reckon) are better priced (as so are modern diesels that offer close to Hybrid economy and mpg) and sales have been disappointing....
The end... so soon?

Last edited by Ehetleos; 10-18-2013 at 03:27 AM.
Ehetleos is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-18-2013, 04:32 AM   #2 (permalink)

Forget about diesels getting close to hybrid fuel economy. The 1.6 diesel in the Civic seems to be getting significantly better real world fuel economy than either the I2, Jazz IMA, CR-Z, Prius, Auris Hybrid or Yaris hybrid. And it reputably does it while keeping up with speed limits and a heavy right foot.

There are estate (station wagon) sized diesels capable of similar fuel consumption to the I1, at least according to official figures.

My I2 gets almost identical mpg to the 2000 Skoda Octavia 1.9 tdi I had previously.

Without the fuel economy advantage, hybrids just don't make that much sense in Europe, where diesel is often cheaper than petrol (gas). Of course, they make much more sense in the USA.

I do have concerns about modern diesel reliability but the manufacturers are bound to solve those issues eventually.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 10-18-2013, 05:06 AM   #3 (permalink)

Default Honda and VW

I believe the decision to drop CRZ/Insight was made some time ago, the : Yen exchange rate has broken the business case for the importation of Honda cars assembled in Japan.

Honda in Swindon UK assemble Civic, CRVSuv and Jazz models. Those models from Swindon plant can supply the market of recession-troubled Europe.

The new car market in Europe is dire, just look at the figures of Peugeot, VW have scaled up RHD production for the UK market, it is said they are taking advantage of the recession to buy the UK market at the expense of their competitors such as Honda.

Honda are in need of some fresh models and soon, they have a small car, a mini Fit/Jazz of Indian manufacture, I think it would be a great addition to the UK range.

Last edited by E27006; 10-18-2013 at 06:14 AM.
E27006 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-18-2013, 05:58 AM   #4 (permalink)

Default UK car market

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uriel View Post
Forget about diesels getting close to hybrid fuel economy. The 1.6 diesel in the Civic seems to be getting significantly better real world fuel economy than either the I2, Jazz IMA, CR-Z, Prius, Auris Hybrid or Yaris hybrid. And it reputably does it while keeping up with speed limits and a heavy right foot.

There are estate (station wagon) sized diesels capable of similar fuel consumption to the I1, at least according to official figures.

My I2 gets almost identical mpg to the 2000 Skoda Octavia 1.9 tdi I had previously.

Without the fuel economy advantage, hybrids just don't make that much sense in Europe, where diesel is often cheaper than petrol (gas). Of course, they make much more sense in the USA.

I do have concerns about modern diesel reliability but the manufacturers are bound to solve those issues eventually.

It is, regretably, not simply fuel economy of one car maker against another. The UK new car market has picked up, but not universally. As explained to me, in the main it is cars deemed to be "aspirational", Audi , BMW Mercedes, VW, various 4x4's etc. being driven out of the showrooms

It would seem that Honda is lacking the "aspirational" halo in the UK public mindset and is at a disadvantage

The evidence that Honda are with the leaders in long-term reliability, fuel consumption and low warranty claims is not winning the sales war.

A source tells me, one of the four car makers named above has a rather high rate of warranty claims, contrary to its adverts and public perception, in fact by comparison, you would be better off with a French maker ending with the letter t for a trouble free life
Old 10-18-2013, 08:57 AM   #5 (permalink)

The other thing is, people would be daft putting money into new cars to save money.

Compared to depreciation on most new cars, fuel and VED are pretty insignificant.

Old 10-18-2013, 12:51 PM   #6 (permalink)

Default Depreciation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uriel View Post
The other thing is, people would be daft putting money into new cars to save money.

Compared to depreciation on most new cars, fuel and VED are pretty insignificant.

This can be good advice, but for the high mileage driver, spending 6000 a year on fuel, depreciation on a new car costing 14,000, is not always the big factor in the equation it used to be.

There have been so many improvements in fuel consumption the last couple of years, some of them are car advert lies, but some are true. For my work, I drive a Vauxhall Astra Van 1.25 diesel, it returns up to 650 miles to a tank, 55 to 65 mpg when driven with a bit of care and conscience. The 6 gallon, VED and tightening of Euro emmissions are hitting the makers quite hard. Peak car is behind us, UK fuel taxation revenue to the Exchequer has fallen over 10 years due to better emissions/mpg according to the press
Old 10-18-2013, 09:35 PM   #7 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

DailyTech - Honda Losing Money on Imports to U.S. Including Popular Fit, Hybrids

Honda: No Rush to Build Hybrids in China | Wall St. Cheat Sheet

Prices of hybrid cars may go up - Business News | The Star Online

Cobb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in