The replacement for the Insight? - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Go Back   Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum > Hybrid and Alternative Fuel Forum > Insight and Honda News

Insightcentral.net is the premier Honda Insight Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-23-2003, 06:17 AM   #1 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to jasshrie Send a message via AIM to jasshrie
Default The replacement for the Insight?

Check out this concept unveiled at the Tokyo auto show last week... Whew, how sweet!

http://thecarconnection.com/zoom-image. ... _image.jpg

Read more at:
http://thecarconnection.com/index.asp?a ... =176&n=156
jasshrie is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-23-2003, 06:30 AM   #2 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to jasshrie Send a message via AIM to jasshrie
Default Another pic!

jasshrie is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 10-23-2003, 07:42 AM   #3 (permalink)

The article was a teaser. It said this next generation Insight would have better acceleration while getting better than 80 mpg. That would be about a 20% improvement in fuel economy and better performance. The body is carbon fiber, but I wonder what kind of hybrid engine they plan?
(2000-2015, totaled - best car I ever had) Lifetime mpg: 65.3, 242,000 miles, MIMA #40, CalPod
Delta Flyer is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-23-2003, 10:28 AM   #4 (permalink)

I'd buy it.
gomarlins3 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 10-23-2003, 12:38 PM   #5 (permalink)

Ditto! (See other post)
2005 Insight, UK Spec Silver 5 speed with Grid Charger, IMA C&C, Alpine stereo & subwoofer & iPod link, Focal component speakers, rear Gaz shocks & Matiz springs, Shark Fin aerial, sound deadened rear shelf, 'InsightCentral' reg plates
Also own 2011 Mk2 Insight ES. Previous owner of 1999 Japanese Silver 5sp, 2001 UK Citrus 5sp & 2000 Japanese Red CVT
Honda Insight - An extraordinary car for ordinary people
The Citrus Smoothie is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 10-25-2003, 10:17 PM   #6 (permalink)

I'm sure that like the J-VX, this concept car will change before it makes it to the dealers. The bumpers and rear-view will need to be addressed.

A 300-pound reduction in weight should improve the performance. The current Insight is about 1800 pounds - the next generation will be under 1500 pounds. The wheels could be a little smaller in a lighter Insight, allowing more engine room. Just a guess, but the electric motors will probably be more efficient.

Just a guess based on the limited information, but it suggests that the next generation Insight will get 80 mpg with the performance approaching the CRX-Si. I think the CRX-Si would get about 35 mpg with that kind of fast cruising (can someone confirm or deny?)

Having said all that, I do have concerns about the carbon-body. I hope it's modular so replacement is easy. If you bust the main body - it's totaled. I'd expect the carbon-body to increase the price.
(2000-2015, totaled - best car I ever had) Lifetime mpg: 65.3, 242,000 miles, MIMA #40, CalPod
Old 10-25-2003, 10:40 PM   #7 (permalink)

Hi DF:

___The cost is unfortunately a significant and IMHO, the #1 issue as to why the 2 seat Insight is not selling in any kind of quantity after an initial sales surge so many years ago. A carbon composite body on an all-aluminum frame? That sounds incredibly expensive and I have to think Honda is going to get tired of losing tens of thousands of dollars on each and every Hybrid automobile they sell instead of finally making some green on the entire hybrid concept. Toyota may soon accomplish this with the 04 Prius although many state that Toyota had already achieved a profit on the first generation Prius later in the 02 model year. The sales numbers and profits per vehicle vs. design, R&D, and construction expenses of Gen #1 don’t add up in my book for this to be true but whatever. In the case of the next gen Insight, something has got to give and an ultra expensive Honda hybrid with a somewhat std. level of performance is not going to make money for anyone. The time for hybrid development has got to move to a time of profit or the Honda Insight replacement is probably doomed as a “concept only” product for the car show circuit

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___Hunt Club Farms Landscaping Ltd.
___[email:37zoegnw][email protected][/email:37zoegnw]
  Quick reply to this message
Old 10-25-2003, 10:49 PM   #8 (permalink)

Nothing is set in stone for the next generation Insight or that there will even be one. The Knowledge Base outlining the history of the Insight had a prototype storing the electric charge in a capacitor but it was deemed a crash hazard. I expect Honda will focus on introducing hybrid power plants to the rest of their line.
Old 10-29-2003, 02:39 AM   #9 (permalink)

Default Next generation Insight

Bear in mind Honda is the ONLY family controlled auto company existant. This allows them to do things other companies can't do due to accounting constraints. They have the money to throw at an ideal if they feel like it. The continuation of the Insight through 2004 shows that the losses they take on each one is worth being at the top of all fuel economy lists to them. Don't discount this concept car. If the ruling family of Honda want to make a statement , they won't care about the bottom line.
Trans Am Don is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 10-29-2003, 03:44 PM   #10 (permalink)

Good point Trans Am Don. Another important point to make is that this IMAS concept car has stirred passions, albeit on both sides of the fence. Any car that stirs passions is a winner.
2005 Insight, UK Spec Silver 5 speed with Grid Charger, IMA C&C, Alpine stereo & subwoofer & iPod link, Focal component speakers, rear Gaz shocks & Matiz springs, Shark Fin aerial, sound deadened rear shelf, 'InsightCentral' reg plates
Also own 2011 Mk2 Insight ES. Previous owner of 1999 Japanese Silver 5sp, 2001 UK Citrus 5sp & 2000 Japanese Red CVT
Honda Insight - An extraordinary car for ordinary people
The Citrus Smoothie is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in