Hybrids excluded from smog testing in CA! - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Go Back   Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum > Hybrid and Alternative Fuel Forum > Insight and Honda News

Insightcentral.net is the premier Honda Insight Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-22-2004, 06:47 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Hybrids excluded from smog testing in CA!

I was getting my Insight's oil changed at my local shop today and their smog tech told me something interesting. He said that California has officially exempted the Honda and Toyota hybrids from smog testing. He explained that he received this info directly from the BAR and their explanation was that they want to promote the hybrid cars. Yet another benefit of owning an insight. Now we just need to open the carpool lanes to hybrids, and that should come soon.

http://www.smogcheck.ca.gov/StdPage.asp ... hybrid.htm
Advertisement

Old 05-22-2004, 09:55 PM   #2 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to rschaffrath

Now if I could just get New York State to adopt this as well. It now costs $27/year to get an emissions check done (up from $25) and my latest emissions results basically show what a joke it is to have a relatively new hybrid go through these tests:

Code:
Emissions      HC    CO     NOx
Test Limits    0.60  10.00  1.50
Emssions       HC    CO     NOx
Test Results   0.02  0.12   0.07
So even if my NOx emissions were 20 times worse, I would still pass! CO emissions, 83 times and HC 30 times. At the very least, I think they should do what New Jersey does and query the OBDII port to see if there have been any engine problems.

Even before seeing this post, I was thinking of drafting a letter to my state senator who initiated legislation two years ago to grant a $2000 tax credit for hybrid car purchases in the state, also including a photocopy of my emissions results for the last three years, and see if he would sponsor legislation to exempt hybrids from routine emissions checks until they had reached a specific age. Now that California has exempted hybrids until 2010, maybe New York can do the same since we are also a California emissions state and follow the CARB guidelines.
Silver, '00-#4581

"I support the right to keep and arm bears"
rschaffrath is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-22-2004, 11:04 PM   #3 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

I think the kicker is this:
"HEV emissions performance cannot be appropriately determined by current Smog Check inspection procedures. BAR plans to create new testing procedures that are specifically applicable to HEVs and will be used beginning in 2010."

This is something I've said before... ferinstance the two-speed idle test is inherently an unfair emissions measure for a hybrid with idle-stop. Powered dyno tests which track emissions across a range of RPM, OTOH, are fair, so long as the car is allowed to idle-stop, which may require specific instructions for the tester.
2000 silver 5spd #4232
100000 mi, 62 mpg
Tim Maddux is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in