Insight 2 - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Go Back   Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum > Hybrid and Alternative Fuel Forum > Insight and Honda News

Insightcentral.net is the premier Honda Insight Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-22-2004, 06:23 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Insight 2

I just saw a tokyo auto show tv show and it showed a concept model of the Insight 2, man does it look nice!!!! Here is a few pics. This is the first time that I have seen the concept model of the Insight 2.

moderator note: inline photos removed and replaced with the link below. also bumped to insight/honda news

http://www.cardesignnews.com/autoshows/ ... -imas.html

-Chris-
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-22-2004, 07:38 PM   #2 (permalink)

This is old news. I highly doubt this design will make it to production, at least for the United States.
Resist is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-22-2004, 09:18 PM   #3 (permalink)
Premium Member

Those are great photos, much better than others I've seen where the shape of the car was distorted by the close proximity of the photographer. Thanks.

I agree with Resist that we are unlikely to see this style. For one thing Honda would not make the mistake of installing a non standard radio. They tried that on the first Prelude and it was universally panned by the automotive press. They will have to go with regular mirrors and a standard steering wheel for liability reasons. Carbon fiber and LED headlights will be eliminated for cost reasons.

We just have to be patient.

The laws of physics don't need changing, but rather our attitude and values. 72.8 LMPG
b1shmu63 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-22-2004, 09:48 PM   #4 (permalink)

Chris, is this supposed to be a drive-by-wire model?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
bug_girl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-22-2004, 09:59 PM   #5 (permalink)

Personally I hope they don't change anything. I hate it when cool-looking concepts get turned into plainer cars. However, I guess most people must like cars that conform a little better to easily defined types, since that seems to happen to most concepts.
Foxpaw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-22-2004, 10:18 PM   #6 (permalink)

Yeah I agree with you Foxpaw, I hope that they don't change anything on it as I like the way it looks. Well bug_girl I do not know if this is a fly-by-wire model or not. Here is what it say about the car on the site where I got the pics from. The IMAS follows on from the Insight production car launched in 1999 and the Dualnote show car from Tokyo 2001, in being a small sports coupe with a hybrid powertrain. This powertrain, called IMA (Integrated Motor Assist), employs an efficient VTEC petrol engine that is used on its own in normal driving, an electric motor for use in low speed urban situations, and the combination of both electric and petrol motors for high performance over short distances.

The Mazda Kusabi and Toyota CC&S shown at Frankfurt (both also to be displayed at Tokyo) share a similar approach in being sporting cars with innovative, fuel efficient powertrains, but the IMAS differs from these in having a very low drag coefficient (Cd 0.20). This, combined with a low weight of 700kg from its carbon fiber and aluminum construction, has led Honda to claim that the IMAS is "a sports car designed to provide that same invigorating cutting-through-the-breeze feeling (as a bicycle)"!

Although further away from a production design that the HSC, the IMAS preludes the forthcoming Insight replacement due next year, particularly in its overall package and aerodynamic features.

-Chris-
Old 07-23-2004, 12:26 AM   #7 (permalink)

I for one, hope they do change some things on the Insight. I would love to see wider tires, without a mpg hit. Wider tires mean less road swerving from road surface irregularities. I'd also like to see an in-dash CD changer instead of the rear mounted deck, Netless seats and lean burn for the CVT (is SULEV rating necessary?). A carbon fiber hood instead of aluminum would be nice. NAV option (for the United States) and a backup camera.

Link to that Insight 2 site. http://www.cardesignnews.com/autoshows/ ... html#car15
Resist is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-23-2004, 08:20 AM   #8 (permalink)

This concept would never see the light of day would it?? Also, I hope it doesn't because the rear end is hideously ugly to me and looks like it provides zero vision.
ethicalpaul is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-23-2004, 11:59 AM   #9 (permalink)

Resist, The exact link to where I got the pics from is here: http://www.cardesignnews.com/autoshows/ ... -imas.html

-Chris-
Old 07-23-2004, 03:30 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resist
I would love to see wider tires, without a mpg hit.
The IMAS has Bridgestone Run Flat Tyres (RFT) measuring 175/55R17.

http://www.bridgestonetire.com/news/ind ... d=c_40115a

Resist, I believe you will get most of your other wishes if you take a closer look at the concept.

Chris, the Insight 2 has been thoroughly discussed previously, check it out at:

https://www.insightcentral.net/forum/vie ... 30&start=0

HTH.
2005 Insight, UK Spec Silver 5 speed with Grid Charger, IMA C&C, Alpine stereo & subwoofer & iPod link, Focal component speakers, rear Gaz shocks & Matiz springs, Shark Fin aerial, sound deadened rear shelf, 'InsightCentral' reg plates
Also own 2011 Mk2 Insight ES. Previous owner of 1999 Japanese Silver 5sp, 2001 UK Citrus 5sp & 2000 Japanese Red CVT
Honda Insight - An extraordinary car for ordinary people
The Citrus Smoothie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in