Insight Hatchback and a Insight Del Sol? - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Go Back   Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum > Hybrid and Alternative Fuel Forum > Insight and Honda News

Insightcentral.net is the premier Honda Insight Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-22-2005, 11:29 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Insight Hatchback and a Insight Del Sol?

I'm curious:
If Honda offered the Insight in two body styles, the current hatchback model and a new "Targa" style that resembled the old del Sol model (updated for hybrid technology), do you think it would sell?
Since nobody has yet to build a two-seater hybrid targa top or convertible, I would think this would add a little more "fun" to a car that gets the best gas mileage in the world.
I realize the vehicle would be a little heavier due to reinforcing the body and will probably result in a slightly lower fuel mileage, but wow! Take the top off during warm sunny weather would really be a plus!
You could probably have a trunk with just enough room to stow the top.
I'd buy one!
I wrote a letter to American Honda Motor Co., but I'm afraid it's on the bottom of some birdcage.
Oh well- what do you think?
-Tom
LorbeerTLC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-22-2005, 11:40 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Insight Hatchback and a Insight Del Sol?

Thought your name looked familiar, but there is this "stain" that partially covers it... :twisted:

The del Sol wasn't one of Honda's "big" sellers either. And the top was a PAIN to keep from creaking. Required almost annual realignments and gasket greasing. Even then there is an increasing creaking that is due to body flex that worsens with age.

But somewhere, someday, somebody will try something similar again.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Insightful Trekker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-23-2005, 12:45 AM   #3 (permalink)

Yeah, the Del Sol's best selling year in the U.S. was when it was introduced. Then every year thereafter it steadily declined.
You know- it doesn't make sense either. But the things you have to understand is compare this car with any other 2-seat convertible or targa top.
First, any convertible type car (soft top or targa), - will be prone to leaking. The trick is not to treat it like a hard top coupe. You don't want to "hang" on the doors when open (where it could misalign against the window seals when closed).
Second, inspect the seals when placing the top back on. I did this on my convertible VW too. It can misalign and give water an opportunity to leak in.
Third, keep the seals lubricated with silicone grease. Don't let them dry out.
Fourth, when washing your convertible or targa top vehicle, don't high-pressure the water along the seals! It will leak.
I've own convertibles and now own a 1995 Del Sol VTEC for several years and it has not leaked. I've even taken it through an automatic car wash!
People who purchase convertibles or targa top cars need to be educated the same way you would for your hybrid cars.
The one thing targas have over convertible soft tops is theft. My VW had its radio stolen because someone took a knife and sliced through my 5-layer top. With the targa, it's like a hard top and it's great at discouraging thieves. Plus, with the top on it is much quieter when driving than the ragtop and more insulated during bad weather.
This is just an idea for Honda to offer more variety to their 2-seater hybrid and also be the first to do so. If that's too high maintenance for you- stick with the hatchback. At least if Honda offers both models, you have that option.
-Tom
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-23-2005, 12:52 AM   #4 (permalink)

Oh, and by the way-
In-so-far as "creaking" or any top noise is concerned, I've never had that problem.
-T
Old 03-23-2005, 07:41 AM   #5 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

I think that a convertible Insight would be a great idea. the Smart has that feature. And the Geo Metro had it too.

It could outsell the hard top version. I would buy one
2000 #45, Cnd
Yves M. is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-23-2005, 06:17 PM   #6 (permalink)

Hummm... Now if someone could find a wrecked Insight, and a del Sol with a blown engine, and do a bit of surgery. Then add a turbo kit

PS: And we could call it the InSole

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
james is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-24-2005, 01:10 AM   #7 (permalink)

Now THAT'S Funny!

(slogan) "The New Honda InSole... a perfect fit!"
Old 03-24-2005, 09:21 AM   #8 (permalink)

I was going to say that it would kill the aerodynamics, but the InSole is just too funny! I guess if they made a pickup truck version it could be an InStep.
robert
2000 Citrus #2757 275,500 mi. I finally had to put brake pads on at 275,485 mi!
originalbadbob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in