Hope the next Insight has technology - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Go Back   Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum > Hybrid and Alternative Fuel Forum > Insight and Honda News

Insightcentral.net is the premier Honda Insight Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-26-2005, 07:24 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Hope the next Insight has technology

Some Hondas have those GPS screens and I'm tired of hearing how the Prius has keyless ignition with Perimiter detection locks. At least I get better mileage and my car looks cooler!

Dan
Power Sun roof
dfiore is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-26-2005, 04:37 PM   #2 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to Rick Reece

Dan,
I hope Honda follows the lead of offering a long list of optional items. I think Toyota is making a nice profit off the fully loaded Prius. It would seam that US drivers are more willing to buy a small car if it has a lot of creature comforts. The navigation on the prius also does a lot of other things such as keep track of maintenance, trip info (Still no LMPG), callendar, phone book etc. Also don't forget the bluetooth link. The Prius could also get a few ideas from the insight such as the FCD, LMPG, LRR Tires and a aluminum boday, not to mention styling. Have fun, RIck
Rick 00 #4738 (5sp) Lmpg 91.1 @ 195K miles
Rick Reece is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-27-2005, 01:59 AM   #3 (permalink)

I'm tired of the Japanese version of the Insight getting all the goodies. American's are HiTech too!
Resist is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-27-2005, 06:35 AM   #4 (permalink)

My technology wish list for the Insight 2 (in no particular order):

Head Up Display (HUD) - so that we can see the road AND the instantaneous MPG
LED Lights all round
7 speed gear box - apparently the physical optimum for vehicles; would allow for even more efficient high speed cruising
20kW IMA Assist (double existing) - with Lithium batteries?
Sat Nav / TV - as an option
As a nod to MIMA, a IMA switch that has three positions - Higher Assist, Higher Charging and Normal
6 Airbags
2005 Insight, UK Spec Silver 5 speed with Grid Charger, IMA C&C, Alpine stereo & subwoofer & iPod link, Focal component speakers, rear Gaz shocks & Matiz springs, Shark Fin aerial, sound deadened rear shelf, 'InsightCentral' reg plates
Also own 2011 Mk2 Insight ES. Previous owner of 1999 Japanese Silver 5sp, 2001 UK Citrus 5sp & 2000 Japanese Red CVT
Honda Insight - An extraordinary car for ordinary people
The Citrus Smoothie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-27-2005, 12:14 PM   #5 (permalink)

I guess I'm on the opposite end of the spectrum. I like my cars simple. Simple and functional. Give me a car free of bells&whistle but is still well designed and well built.

Most of that junk you want will just add weight (which will hurt MPG) and reduce MTBF.

I like the insight equiped as is. Maybe loose the the power windows, the thermostat in the climate control and the rear wiper.

But that's just me....
flunkysama is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-27-2005, 02:35 PM   #6 (permalink)

Agree with your sentiments Flunkysama, I had previously suggested in a different topic that Honda could make two versions of the Insight - the Extreme and the Comfort versions.

Of course the Extreme would be aimed at the hypermilers out there, with the lowest possible kerb weight - i.e. no rear wiper, no power steering etc etc
2005 Insight, UK Spec Silver 5 speed with Grid Charger, IMA C&C, Alpine stereo & subwoofer & iPod link, Focal component speakers, rear Gaz shocks & Matiz springs, Shark Fin aerial, sound deadened rear shelf, 'InsightCentral' reg plates
Also own 2011 Mk2 Insight ES. Previous owner of 1999 Japanese Silver 5sp, 2001 UK Citrus 5sp & 2000 Japanese Red CVT
Honda Insight - An extraordinary car for ordinary people
The Citrus Smoothie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-27-2005, 04:12 PM   #7 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Rick

I'm all for extra goodies. Side impact air bags would deffinitely be nice to have (heck it might get a 5 star rating with those) as well as other creature features. I wouldn't mind a factory leather option (06 Prius is going to have a dealer leather option I think), plus the keyless entry and start would be cool. Other things to increase efficiency would be nice too like LED's and HID's. And a decent stereo option would be great as well.

All things considered though I can't complain too much. I realize to offer so many options on a limited production car would make the price for them go way up. I've added half of the above mentioned features to my car anyways.
92 Saturn SC2 Electric, Arizona Alt fuel plate "ZEROGAS"
Rick is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-27-2005, 05:22 PM   #8 (permalink)

For me, the rear wiper is a huge plus; but otherwise I'm totally with flunkysama. I'd like manual windows (I mean, the car is tiny-- it's not hard to reach across and roll down the passenger window...).

What I'd really like is manual steering. I got to try it out on a Ford Aspire for a bit, and it made me feel like I was picking up arm strength with no real downside. And the car would be lighter.

I dislike the thermostat climate control and I'd love to see it gone.

I would really like a decent sound system. And I'd like infinitely variable front and rear wipers, though I don't know if such a thing exists.

And I'd like decent cupholders--somewhere you could actually fit a cup, and easily reach! :) My '83 Volvo had a tiny tray above the radio that was great for pens... That'd be nice. If they put the cupholders in, say, the doors, and the radio down lower, there would be a good space for stuff.

But yeah, I prefer simple changes, and less weight.
2004 CVT Navy Blue Pearl #89
Madeline is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-29-2005, 02:16 AM   #9 (permalink)

I'm on the "keep it simple" side. Most of the suggestions seem like totally useless technology. For instance, why should a car have a phone book? So people can cause more accidents looking up numbers they want to call on their cell phones?

There are useful things that could be done with technology, but nobody seems to think of those. For instance, replacing rear-view mirrors with LCD screens. It would cut drag, and with a bit of image processing, get rid of the glaring SUV headlighs in the mirror. And as long as you're doing that, why not add another looking ahead with night vision, etc?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
james is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-29-2005, 03:57 PM   #10 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to Rick Reece

James,

With the integrated phone book and Bluetooth technology you can make a call hands free. Simply push the button on the stering wheel for voice command, and the call will be made from the number stored in the phone book. Neither hand has to leave the steering wheel so it is much safer than someone trying to make a call using a phone. Now you could argue that you can't talk and drive at the same time and perhaps that is a challenge for some but no more so than if they were talking to a passenger and we arn't making cars single seat yet. Have fun, RIck
Rick 00 #4738 (5sp) Lmpg 91.1 @ 195K miles
Rick Reece is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in