Anyone know if EMF is being addressed? - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Go Back   Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum > Hybrid and Alternative Fuel Forum > Insight and Honda News

Insightcentral.net is the premier Honda Insight Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-27-2005, 08:25 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Anyone know if EMF is being addressed?

I may be taking a job that requires a longer commute and so today I began researching cars with the best gas mileage. But in doing so I also came across the following disturbing information:

Consumer complaints about Honda Insight
"The driver is receiving up to 135 milligauss (mG) at the hip, and up to 100 mG in the upper torso and head area. For comparison, my VW van measures between 1 and 2 mG. The technicians who measured the EMF advised me not to drive my Honda until this problem is fixed.

To put this into perspective, the Liburdy and Colleagues Study in 1993 found that just 12 mG stimulates the growth of estrogen-sensitive breast cancer cells. Epidemiological studies have found an increased risk of breast cancer among both men and women exposed to high electromagnetic fields at work. A study by the Natinoal Institute of Environmental Health Sciences (NIEHS) called "assessment of health effects from exposure to power line frequency electric and magnetic fields" confirms the dangers of high EMF."
http://consumeraffairs.com/automotive/h ... sight.html

Does anyone know whether the status of EMF is going to improve in later models set to come out this year or next?

Thanks in advance.
hap0 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-27-2005, 09:30 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default what risk?

I think that if that were true we'd all have cancer from our computer monitors. Everything is dangerous. Breathing the air is dangerous. I wouldn't worry until it hits the news stands from the FDA.
Power Sun roof
dfiore is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-28-2005, 12:15 AM   #3 (permalink)
Jim

Send a message via Yahoo to Jim

hap0 - every time some one posts that quote, the thread gets locked. I guess one of the mods is asleep at the wheel.

I think the risk taken by actually driving a car (any car) is actually much greater than the risk of an Insight making you sick.

If you're that concerned about it - you probably need to check emf in any car you buy. Then you also need to start checking all the appliances in your home to see how much emf emanates from them. You'll be truly amazed....
2000 Citrus #2166 "10KW"
1997 K1100LTA SE
Jim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-28-2005, 12:47 AM   #4 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Rick

Ok we're trying to take on a less delete happy moderation policy here. The talk about EMF has come up again and again, that article is full of falsehood. I guarantee most people are exposed to worst things each and every day.

So, lets stop the EMF discussion. But I'll let you guys know if I ever have problems having kids some day.
92 Saturn SC2 Electric, Arizona Alt fuel plate "ZEROGAS"
Rick is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-28-2005, 01:06 AM   #5 (permalink)

The NIEHS report can be seen at http://www.niehs.nih.gov/emfrapid/ht...kingGroup.html
My reading of the Summary is that they found no strong evidence that electric and magnetic fields cause disease. I personally wouldn't live next to electric transmission lines, but that's because they often use herbicides on their right of way. I don't think this is a problem for the insight. If you are concerned about EMF effects then you should also measure the fields around microwaves, refrigerators, washing machines, TVs, and electic trolleys or subways. I did like the fact that he did actually make measurements.
--Walter
Old 05-28-2005, 02:31 AM   #6 (permalink)

Default Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick
Ok we're trying to take on a less delete happy moderation policy here. The talk about EMF has come up again and again, that article is full of falsehood. I guarantee most people are exposed to worst things each and every day.

So, lets stop the EMF discussion. But I'll let you guys know if I ever have problems having kids some day. :lol:
Sorry I should have searched for 'emf' first. I see there are some other threads so I will give them a look. Really though, the defensive tone of some of these posts borders on almost ridicule or ad hominem. I just came across this for the first time. Wouldn't it be reasonable to have some concern??? I'm just looking into it, not promoting it for some spurious agenda...? I appreciate the link to the "working group" study though, thanks.
hap0 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-31-2005, 03:07 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hap0
Wouldn't it be reasonable to have some concern???
Yes, but it's only reasonable to have concern in proportion to the danger, which is slim to none.

On the other hand, there's a very real danger to driving in general. It's a leading cause of death, well above cancer for non-seniors. The new IIHS side impact ratings simulates an SUV side imact, and so far every vehicle tested without side air bags has rated 'poor', except the tall, 3300 pound Jeep Wrangler (which was marginal). Remember the Insight is the lightest, smallest car you can buy, and doesn't have side airbags.

The better question is, what do you do about it? Well, you can wear a automotive helmet. They're required in every motorsport I've heard of, at least above a certain level. Although I don't have a study offhand, I'd guess they're at least as good as side airbags, and likely FAR better. They're easily available online, starting at less than $200.

Does anybody wear a helmet in a car on public roads? Not that I know of. You'd look kind of silly, and it'd mess up your 'do. If this trade-off isn't worth it, why is something orders of magnitude less life-threatening like EMF even considered?
Fjord is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-31-2005, 04:03 AM   #8 (permalink)

Default Insight 2005

Talk about being "off topic". What does this have to do with New insight arriving in 2005?????????????????

Never mind me, I'm in a bad mood.
MaxIMA Battery (Serial #2), on 8/25/12 @ 301,000 miles
Another MaxIMA Battery, on 6/25/17 @ 399,252 miles
Use: 438,000 mi. @ 58.2 LMPG.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Willie Williford is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-31-2005, 08:34 AM   #9 (permalink)

and eight pages, even......
Old 05-31-2005, 01:53 PM   #10 (permalink)

But it's only the last dozen messages on this page that get into the EMF thing. And I think that the one who posted the first EMF one really meant to start a new thread...

|
|
james is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in