06 Civic Hybrid engine information from Honda -Very refined! - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Go Back   Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum > Hybrid and Alternative Fuel Forum > Insight and Honda News

Insightcentral.net is the premier Honda Insight Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-05-2005, 03:59 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default 06 Civic Hybrid engine information from Honda -Very refined!

Wow! It looks like there are enough improvements to consider this a true second generation IMA system. It even has a low speed EV mode!

Honda Announces Development of New Honda Hybrid System Featuring 3-Stage i-VTEC + IMA

Almost 10 minute movie demonstrating the new engine

Simply beautiful, what an advanced engine/motor package.

How well will it hypermile though?
Romir is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-05-2005, 06:00 AM   #2 (permalink)

Thanks Romir, that's a great link!

I was wondering how they'd manage to get an EV mode without stepping on Toyota's patents. Closing all the valves - well it's inventive at least!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
clett is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-05-2005, 10:15 AM   #3 (permalink)

Wonder if they will do something "wierd" about the car styling so everybody will know that the driver is saving the earth...
Dougie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-05-2005, 12:45 PM   #4 (permalink)

I was pleased to see that they added a brake control system that, from the sound of it, does the right thing by only kicking in mechanical brakes after regen is maxed out, and making a smooth transition between the two.

It may well be that hypermilers will be able to get more out of the new HCH with this than the Insight--except for an Insight with MIMA.

Charlie
chrs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-05-2005, 12:47 PM   #5 (permalink)

NOW I'm getting excitied about a next generation Insight. If this technology is applied to a sub 1 liter 3 cylinder and put in an Insight-like body, we could be seeing EPA ratings of 80mpg plus!

Instead, and this is just a guess, the next gen civic hybrid will get around 60-65mpg, and allow honda to discontinue the Insight and still have the highest MPG car in the US.
flunkysama is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-05-2005, 12:57 PM   #6 (permalink)

According to this
http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid= ... efer=japan
there will be a model "smaller and cheaper" than the Civic. It doesn't sound like it will be an insight--for example no Al body. But if there's a hybrid version with all the technology going in the HCH, maybe it could at least equal the Insight on mileage.

Charlie
chrs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-05-2005, 01:25 PM   #7 (permalink)

Default Re: 06 Civic Hybrid engine information from Honda -Very refi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romir
I wish they were as careful selecting technology for their press releases as they are using it in their vehicles. Flash just sucks for streaming video. Couldn't they have used Quicktime? Or Realplayer or even (shudder) M$MediaPlayer?
Armin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-05-2005, 02:12 PM   #8 (permalink)

Default Re: 06 Civic Hybrid engine information from Honda -Very refi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Romir
I wish they were as careful selecting technology for their press releases as they are using it in their vehicles. Flash just sucks for streaming video. Couldn't they have used Quicktime? Or Realplayer or even (shudder) M$MediaPlayer?
LOL...I was thinking the exact same thing when I was attempting to watch that sad excuse for an amazing video.
kapps is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-05-2005, 04:43 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrs
According to this
http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid= ... efer=japan
there will be a model "smaller and cheaper" than the Civic. It doesn't sound like it will be an insight--for example no Al body. But if there's a hybrid version with all the technology going in the HCH, maybe it could at least equal the Insight on mileage.

Charlie
That sounds exciting, could it be the Honda Jazz? - the car that currently shares the combustion part of the Civic IMA engine here in Europe (I think)?
Maybe it is getting a re-design too??
Old 07-05-2005, 06:27 PM   #10 (permalink)

Sounds good but what kind of fuel mileage will all this give us?
Resist is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in