ECM Software Update? - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Go Back   Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum > 2nd Generation Honda Insight Forum > Modifications and Technical Discussions

Insightcentral.net is the premier Honda Insight Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-01-2017, 01:40 AM   #1 (permalink)
Engine-Off-Coast

Question ECM Software Update?

I've read some posts on here referring to a software update for either the ECM or BCM that changes how the G2 Insight handles the hybrid battery, and supposedly makes the battery last longer.

As a G1 owner, I've learned that the programing inside the ECM was changed from year to year, and older ECMs are more desirable in the G1 because they're more fuel efficient or something.

With that in mind, if I call Honda and ask about the software update, and supposing my G2 hasn't had it yet, is it wise for me to get the update, or are there potential downsides?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Natalya is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-01-2017, 10:49 AM   #2 (permalink)

I would read through these threads:

https://www.insightcentral.net/forums...oftware+update

https://www.insightcentral.net/forums...oftware+update

Unlike the software update the Civics got that lowered fuel mileage, this one seems to be neutral. There are also other improvements that make it worth it
egads is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-02-2017, 12:01 AM   #3 (permalink)
vote 4 mawah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natalya View Post
I've read some posts on here referring to a software update for either the ECM or BCM that changes how the G2 Insight handles the hybrid battery, and supposedly makes the battery last longer.
That is what Honda tells its customers, for better or worse.

Quote:
As a G1 owner, I've learned that the programing inside the ECM was changed from year to year, and older ECMs are more desirable in the G1 because they're more fuel efficient or something.
This is the first time I've heard about older modules (ECM, BCM, MCM, a/c driver, DC->DC, etc being more fuel efficient or concerning the later few just more efficient in general.

I wouldn't be surprised if the programming was/is changed much more often than is noted on the paperwork. I seriously wonder what the dealers teach the mechanics concerning the hybrid in the fleet. I do know a mechanic needs a hybrid cert to work on the hybrid system. BUT, as soon as a mechanic hooks the car up to the HDS the hybrid system is accessible to anyone that knows how to progress the screens.

Quote:
With that in mind, if I call Honda and ask about the software update, and supposing my G2 hasn't had it yet, is it wise for me to get the update, or are there potential downsides?
My take on this is that you take your chances with the service dept you choose. Some have praised the update as making the car more to their liking while others have denounced the updates as a shabby way for Honda to comply with the terms of a class action suit concerning hybrid mileage not being even close to its EPA rated MPG, and the updated just makes things worse as a result.

Perhaps others have similar as well as dissimilar experiences/knowledge to share.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-02-2017, 02:48 AM   #4 (permalink)

I would like to point out that this is about 2nd generation Insights, not first gen or the HCH. I'm not sure how one would be taking their chances with a Honda dealer with respect to software updates. (Except for whether or not you are charged for them) the tech connects and the computer takes over from there. The tech doesn't do anything beyond clicking OK.

It's the 21st century. One has software updates for their computers. This computer happens to be attached to a car. But jeez, even my washing machine has one.
Old 02-21-2017, 12:25 AM   #5 (permalink)
Engine-Off-Coast

Question

I went to a Honda dealership today *cringe* and asked them if they could check if the ECU had been flashed with the software update. The guy went on about how I'd probably have to pay $100 for a software update, I showed him a picture of someone else's receipt for it where they were charged $0, and we went back and forth about how if my IMA battery failed under warranty that'd be far more expensive to them than if they just gave me the update for free. Basically, it was everything why I hate car stealerships.

But then he's looking at the recall page and finds what I've pictured above, and said it looked like the software update had already been done. Is that what I'm looking at here? Does this indicate the software update has been completed?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 02-21-2017, 02:23 AM   #6 (permalink)

I would have asked to see the service bulletin # 14-064.
Looks like that picture pertains to the IMA battery, not the ECU.
HTH
Willie
MaxIMA Battery (Serial #2), on 8/25/12 @ 301,000 miles
Another MaxIMA Battery, on 6/25/17 @ 399,252 miles
Use: 438,000 mi. @ 58.2 LMPG.

Willie Williford is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-21-2017, 11:41 AM   #7 (permalink)

Yes that is the software update that US owners got a letter about. Many of us, early on, found out about three others and talked our way into getting those done. We have never been able to find out if those three get downloaded along with the campaign one as a matter of course, or if the tech needs to manually do them. The first three had to do with: how autostop works, how the CTV works, and how the IMA manages hills. (Before the update the IMA would go into regeneration mode part way up a hill) Those initial updates only where available to 2010 and very early 2011 cars. Later ones had them from the factory.
Old 02-22-2017, 12:41 AM   #8 (permalink)
Engine-Off-Coast

Quote:
Originally Posted by egads View Post
Yes that is the software update that US owners got a letter about. Many of us, early on, found out about three others and talked our way into getting those done. We have never been able to find out if those three get downloaded along with the campaign one as a matter of course, or if the tech needs to manually do them. The first three had to do with: how autostop works, how the CTV works, and how the IMA manages hills. (Before the update the IMA would go into regeneration mode part way up a hill) Those initial updates only where available to 2010 and very early 2011 cars. Later ones had them from the factory.
What was the autostop update?

My car appears to be pretty old, it says Manufactured by Honda, 02/'09. Does anyone know if those updates bundled together into the above update?

@Willie:
I found the service bulletin, here's a copy:
http://www.lady-natalya.info/ZE2/SB-10056630-9130.pdf

Old 02-22-2017, 07:05 AM   #9 (permalink)

If your car does not regen going up long hills, you likely have the latest update.

My 2013 was in for an oil change at the Honda dealer and afterwards on the same hill the car stopped doing regen. Hill regens were annoying because significant additional throttle is required. On the flat at highway speeds I'll get regen at mild throttle especially if the battery is depleted.

I got an update prior to the letter being issued even though the letter does not apply to my year. I believe you get all the current updates whenever the car is plugged in.

Last edited by BackStreetXX; 02-22-2017 at 07:18 AM.
BackStreetXX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-23-2017, 03:37 PM   #10 (permalink)

I had my software update done today, when i had a look what the honda hds said it said that it was updating the pgfi system (i presume it is ths fuel injection system) does anyone have insight into this? No pun intended

Sent from my LG-H440 using Tapatalk
marco is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in