Best Headlights for DRL & Brights - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Go Back   Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum > 2nd Generation Honda Insight Forum > Modifications and Technical Discussions

Insightcentral.net is the premier Honda Insight Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-08-2017, 01:58 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Best Headlights for DRL & Brights

I know this subject has been discussed a ton in other threads, but I thought it would be nice to consolidate the information into one thread.

As most of us already know, the daytime running lights and the brights come from the same 9005 bulb. This setup works great for your typical halogen bulb, but with other bulbs things can get a little confusing.

I am hoping other G2 owners will share their experiences and setups.

I'm currently running Nokya Hyper Yellow halogen bulbs for my DRLs and brights. They work great as DRLs, but don't seem to add much when engaged as brights.

I tried a pair of LED lights, but the attached cooling fans made the bulb impossible to install. There was simply not enough room under the hood. I know LEDs can be problematic due the changing voltage between the DRL and bright modes.

I've also tried Sylvania SilverStar's, but I'm not crazy about their color temperature. I'd rather have pure white light or something similar to the output of Hyper Yellows.

I haven't looked into HIDs much. However, I am curious to know if anyone has had success with them as DRLS/brights.

Anyway, what are you running? Do you like it?

Thanks.
newscast is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-10-2017, 02:39 PM   #2 (permalink)

Anyone have any input?
Old 02-10-2017, 06:00 PM   #3 (permalink)

In Europe we don't have the high beam DRL setup. I have HIDs in the low beams and that eradicates any other lighting needs, except for circumferential lighting; I have low-amp LEDs in my fogs that spread nicely.

Don't laugh but I visit a real 18th century fortress 4 times a week, my kids scouting club resides in there. It is encircled by a narrow one way road sidelined by moats and must be accessed though an even narrower iron bridge. The lows do marvels on the straights and nothing round the sharp bends. I always put the fog LEDs on for support.
Even so, the fogs have limited spread.
I have just obtained some LED strips that I plan to put on the fascia below the front indicators. Their 45 angling is perfect for my needs

I do not use the high beams that often. Even our rural parts are densely built up, there is always someone round to get blinded if you do so I use them maybe several times per decade or so. Not worth putting anything else in than OEM.

I'd say get some LED strips on and pull the DRL fuse?

Last edited by RedDevil; 02-10-2017 at 06:10 PM.
RedDevil is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-10-2017, 10:29 PM   #4 (permalink)

I have LED DRLs that came with resistors to fool the computer into not displaying the check DRL message.

The extra wires were a pain so I use them without the resistors and get the message.

The lights flicker too. Once I recorded the lights with my phone and they appear to go on and off.
BackStreetXX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-12-2017, 11:28 AM   #5 (permalink)

Phillips LED as I have on my car.
You can order non-DRL or DRL option.

They are your best option having DRL or not!

I made a tread on this forum about these Phillips LED headlight bulb I install on my 2000 Insight last year.
I'm still 100% satisfied!
92 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 4g63 AT AWD [email protected] 0-60mph:3.5s 50-75mph:2.2s
Gone in 11 seconds GO FAST WITH CLASS, DON'T USE NOS!
AlainB7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-13-2017, 01:31 PM   #6 (permalink)

Thanks for the input everyone.

After digging around some more I found this setup on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/iJDMTOY-16-CR.../dp/B01I0I5T5Y

From the description:
  • Complete error free with no flicker/malfunction and the LED bulbs can fully light up at the DRL mode
  • Able to function for both daytime running light mode and high beam mode (high beam mode output will be the same as the DRL mode).
  • This page features a newly designed 8000K 80W High Power 9005 LED replacement bulbs with special R2 type DRL decoder wires for the following cars on high beam as daytime running lights during the day: 2010 and up Honda Insight (and a bunch of other modern Honda vehicles)

I'm using some iJDMTOY LEDs for reverse lights currently. The quality is good. Hopefully these bulbs do exactly what I want. I will report back once I get everything installed.

EDIT: I cancelled my order after finding this YouTube video:

The high beam function looks worthless. The search continues...

Last edited by newscast; 02-13-2017 at 03:45 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in