5 channel amp install while retaining factory navi head unit - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Go Back   Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum > 2nd Generation Honda Insight Forum > Modifications and Technical Discussions

Insightcentral.net is the premier Honda Insight Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-30-2017, 11:46 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default 5 channel amp install while retaining factory navi head unit

Hello all,
I would like to install an aftermarket amp in my 2010 ex navi but i am going to use the factory stereo because I would like to retain functionality of everything. I have installed systems in the past but after reading the crutchfield guide, I would like to know from someone who has wired up an amp using the factory radio. The main thing is what to use for a power turn on and should i buy a aftermarket install harness or splice away?
I am also thing of trying to install it under a front seat so i dont have to run all 4 speaker level outputs all the way to the back of the car, but still not sure on this. Amp to be used is a Zapco st105-bt. I would like to wire in everything instead of using bt feature on the amp.
3.14159 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-30-2017, 02:42 PM   #2 (permalink)

I think you should look into upgrading the speakers and call it a day.
Gramps here would also like to remind you that your hearing does not grow back. Once damaged, it's gone.
egads is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-30-2017, 04:04 PM   #3 (permalink)

thanks for the advice, but I would really like the answer to the question. Plus that amp is not that powerful and i wont have the gains all the turned up. I love to listen to music with clarity and detail and the factory unit isnt going to give me that no matter what speakers i put in.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-30-2017, 07:54 PM   #4 (permalink)

You underestimate how crappy oem Honda speakers are. A cheap pair of Pioneers in the front doors would be like night & day. But to use the factory unit, the replacement speakers would have to be efficient. I say all this because, let's face it, the Insight is a hollow tin can. (See old threads about sound deadening)

Because the Insight is no long made, we tend to have the most traffic around here with folks with problems. I might suggest you check out Fit & Civic forums
for posts about adding amps to the factory NAV unit. As long as they are the same vintage, those people's experiences will apply to the Insight. Civic guys are gonna be way more into that than the typical Insight cheapskate, I mean driver.
egads is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-30-2017, 08:04 PM   #5 (permalink)

thanks i will try looking in their ramblings.
Old 05-01-2017, 12:03 AM   #6 (permalink)

Default Yippee!! Answers Found

Turns out this may be the easy answer to my query. It provides a remote turn on via the inputs and comes highly rated. I am providing this answer just in case anyone wants to do the same.
The audiocontrol units provide a 5th channel as long as you have 4 channels being fed in.
Also found on ebay a reverse radio harness.

AudioControl LC6i 6 channel line output, its kind of basic but folks seem to get good sound from it that isnt muddy and allows you to retain all controls, unlike others out there.

Last edited by 3.14159; 05-01-2017 at 01:23 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in