Lpg? - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Go Back   Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum > 2nd Generation Honda Insight Forum > Modifications and Technical Discussions

Insightcentral.net is the premier Honda Insight Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-25-2017, 04:59 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Lpg?

Now there is that huge lot of styrofoam in the boot and I thought what if I would have that taken out and replaced with a pressure tank for LPG? LPG is cheap, clean and it would possibly double the range.
Anyone done an LPG conversion?
Corkonian is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-25-2017, 05:12 AM   #2 (permalink)
Administrator

Send a message via MSN to retepsnikrep

Searching for lpg on here brings up plenty of links/threads..

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

ObdIIc&c, Imac&c, ImaBoost, Current Hacks available. Enqs to 150mpg[at]gmail.com
retepsnikrep is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-27-2017, 03:49 AM   #3 (permalink)

Hi...
I am from Rome(Italy) and i did an LPG vonversion. The consumption increase only by 20%.
I manage to do 1000km(~800miles) spending 35 euro(~ 45 dollars)

Sent from my MX4 using Tapatalk
catadarius is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-27-2017, 09:30 AM   #4 (permalink)

@catadarius Any negative experience? As far as I've read so far, there are issues with the valves... Did you check or do you just assume it's all grand, like?
Corkonian is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-27-2017, 09:44 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corkonian View Post
@catadarius Any negative experience? As far as I've read so far, there are issues with the valves... Did you check or do you just assume it's all grand, like?
I've done 40.000km with the Lpg system, and a week ago i did an control on the valve. No problem there. So you can do the transformation without any worry, offcourse the service has to be prepared.

catadarius is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-05-2017, 05:57 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corkonian View Post
how much would this cost in Ireland? Is it worth it?
dublin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-18-2017, 05:46 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by catadarius View Post
I've done 40.000km with the Lpg system, and a week ago i did an control on the valve. No problem there. So you can do the transformation without any worry, offcourse the service has to be prepared.

How did you handle with the trip computer? Because the readout from the LPG consume will not work anymore?
How did you manage to work with the ECU? Or did you use a Pitagora?
Old 10-19-2017, 01:30 AM   #8 (permalink)

All that foam back there is part if the impact zone and is not just fill. Remove at your own risk. Here in the US, insurance companies may deny claims based on removal of safety items.
egads is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-19-2017, 08:21 AM   #9 (permalink)

From an engineering point of view I'd say the foam just fills the space, dampens sound and keeps the tools in place.
It will collapse under a pressure of maybe 10 kg per square cm or about 1 MN.
The forces in a collision are many thousands of times as high; it stands no chance. You can destroy it by hand... It has no chance against a sledgehammer like impact.

And it needs to collapse; it is inside the rear crumple zone.
The steel sides and bottom of the boot are designed to take the impact of a collision.

In other words, it might protect an object of a few kilograms in a collision.
It has hardly any effect on the 1300 kilograms our cars plus driver and stuff weighs.
The foam insert varies depending on having a spare or not. The spare does have some effect; mainly because of the rim, the tire would collapse.

Then, I would rather not have the LPG tank in the bay between the battery and the bumper, because that is the crumpling zone.
Tight against the rear bench above the battery would be better, but you'd lose the practicality of the folding back seats.

IMHO LPG in a hybrid is a bit ineffective. It is already relatively frugal; not much to be gained.

Last edited by RedDevil; 10-19-2017 at 08:29 AM.
RedDevil is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Location (Required)
Where you live
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in