Honda Insight charger - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Go Back   Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum > 2nd Generation Honda Insight Forum > Modifications and Technical Discussions

Insightcentral.net is the premier Honda Insight Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-18-2017, 11:31 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Honda Insight charger

Hello,

I will introduce myself again.
My name is Rudy and I was a former Honda Car Dealer in Deventer, The Netherlands. Now I am retired.
In private, I have bought me a second hand Honda Insight 2012. I also own a motorhome and I drive that as much as possible. Therefore, it can happen that my Honda Insight stands still for many months without someone to drive it. To drive the car it has to be insurance and there will be a tax for use of the car. The cost are every month about $ 100,-.
That is why I have considered buying me a grid charger. However, the price is very high for that stuff in Holland. The local seller wants to have € 610,- and € 200,- for installing a Prolong. Total $930,-.
To order in USA is also expensive because off the shipping and taxes.

So I build me an own grid charger. The meaning is to expand this one early next year with a resistance so I can discharge also, an all in one solution.

I will try to explain what, and how, I have done it. Maybe it is usable for others, maybe not.

In Holland, we have a grid power as high as 220 Volts ac. Therefore, the thirst thing is to make 120 Volts dc, what the max charging voltage is for the Insight 2-nd gen battery. (Maybe there is a solution to make from 120 Volts ac a stable CV and CC in the USA). I did not look for that.
On Ebay I found a 220 Volt ac to 12 Volt DC transformer/inverter. In addition, I bought a StepUp booster that can bring up the voltage back to a stable 120 Volt and has an adjustable current. I adjusted it to 120 Volts dc and 300 mAh. A power switch and a Volt/Amp meter complete my selfbuild charger. In addition I have made a four pin female connector witch can be coupled to the car wiring. In the car, I also made a four pin female connector. The four wires cable has a four pin plug on both sides. (Two times, I have soldered the plugs without making a crossing! This is something what I never did wrong. Maybe it is my age or just a normal mistake.)
The complete cost of all the parts was, in my case, less as $ 50,-.

This is how I made it.

The next thing to do was to install the wiring in my car. Zooming in on the picture here fore, you can see where the installation should be. WARNING! There are points with high Voltage. Be carefully!

The big problem was my cooling fan for the battery. I have read many on the Insightcentral forum, but my knowledge of the language is bad so I did not understand everything quite well. In other cases there were used difficult electronic solutions, some I think they are not useful in my project.
That is why I have chosen for a separate cooling fan. Because off the low current witch I use to charge (300 milliamps), I think that my simple solution is working fine.

Now I give a short explanation over how to integrate the PC-fan in the car. I read about a small PC fan mounted on the outlet from the normal fan. I considered it but think that my solution is better and well looking. I just mounted the PC fan right in front of the normal fan.
To do it so it was necessary to cut off the housing from the fan. At the end, I had the ventilator with four brackets. A little more cutting and all fits perfectly in the housing from the Honda fan. Just a little hole for the power lead and I glued the ventilator in the housing.
At the end, I cut off a piece from the inlet tube. Then I taped the inlet hose on the vent. Look at the image here under.

That is all for now.
Maybe this posting is useful for many other persons.

Regards,

Hoofdnoorman.

Last edited by Hoofdnoorman; 10-18-2017 at 06:13 PM.
Hoofdnoorman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-18-2017, 04:26 PM   #2 (permalink)

Welcome to the forum. Unfortunately, the forum processor is set to accept pictures only on the fifth post. It is a security measure.

You can build a post count doing an introduction post, talking a bit about your car and your interests. You can also build a post count responding to other posts.

Thank you for joining. I hope you enjoy the site.
Old 10-18-2017, 05:14 PM   #3 (permalink)

Hello and thank you for response @jime.

I have made a PDF with all the images in there. As long as I have no chance to place a image, others have to mail to me and send a request.
Mailto Hoofdnoorman at gmail dot com.

I will post something more soon.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-18-2017, 05:30 PM   #4 (permalink)

To all members:

Sorry that it is not possible to show the images that explains much of the item.
I have worked for 4 hours to write the first post because I have a very low knowledge of English.
But I gave a little hint where you can find them.
Old 10-18-2017, 06:01 PM   #5 (permalink)

If you highlight (rightclick) from "mupload" on till the end of "jpg" you can see 12 pictures.
I got both links to work.
HTH
Willie
MaxIMA Battery (Serial #2), on 8/25/12 @ 301,000 miles
Another MaxIMA Battery, on 6/25/17 @ 399,252 miles
Use: 438,000 mi. @ 58.2 LMPG.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Willie Williford; 10-18-2017 at 06:04 PM.
Willie Williford is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-18-2017, 06:09 PM   #6 (permalink)

@willie

Yes that is also possible.
How about the text? Is it readable for you?
Old 10-18-2017, 06:20 PM   #7 (permalink)

Now the images are there.

Meanwhile I made a extra switch in the charger.
It has three positions. 1 - 0 - 2
Now I have the charging function on "1"
the monitoring on "0" and
"2" is reserved for the discharge. I have buy a resistor first. There is enough place in the charger so there is also place for an resistor and a separate 1 3/4 cooling fan with a clixon control.
Old 10-19-2017, 01:24 AM   #8 (permalink)

I donít care too much about grid chargers, but your English skills are very good!
egads is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-19-2017, 04:26 AM   #9 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

You should probably have spent your time reading the forum first before trying to reinvent the wheel. Commend your effort, but your time would've been better spent reading the forum and learning that you have a pwm controlled smart fan. Hacking it up and stuffing another fan inside a perfectly good fan is a poor way to skin the cat.
1K100-PHM-010
37820-PHM-316
MaximumFuelage is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-19-2017, 04:30 AM   #10 (permalink)

@egads,
Thank You, but I used more than four hours to write it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in