Group 51R battery repalcement.. - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Go Back   Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum > 2nd Generation Honda Insight Forum > Modifications and Technical Discussions

Insightcentral.net is the premier Honda Insight Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-14-2017, 10:45 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Group 51R battery repalcement..

Haven't been on in ages, I'll write a longer update in general.

Still driving my trusty 2010 Honda Insight, and about 8 years, 2 months, 1w and 145K km on it, I finally had to change the battery.

I had a quote for $190 (cnd) from the dealer, parts and labour to replace it with another 151R battery. I decided with the age of the car, to replace it with a 51R battery from Costco for $105. The replacement went pretty smooth until the positive terminal cap (you know the red one) snapped off as I try to lift the 151R out.

I currently have it held in place with Tuck tape, wondering if anyone knew a source to get a replacement for it?

I also had to leave the plastic tray out, trying to decide how to get something else in there just so the battery wont' be sitting on the metal. I wasn't going to cut the original one up. Are there any suggestions?

Same notes others have pointed out.. It's really a tight fight and there is also a relay or fuse box between the negative terminal side and the side of car that just won't budge if it could even be shift over 1/2 inch that's where the perfect fit will be.

Last edited by nameless00; 12-15-2017 at 01:04 AM.
nameless00 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-18-2017, 11:43 PM   #2 (permalink)

Just posting an update to this 7 days in from the the 51R replacement.

I've noticed my mileage has indeed improved, I've managed to get the car down to a stretch where I've been averaging 5.0L the last year to 4.6L. Even with my wife's driving we've seen an improvement of 6.4L to 5.9L.

The colder weather factor has been removed by ensuring the stretch this is measured has always been consistent in terms of location and check on engine coolant temp (kind of, for sure engine is warmed up).

Will continue to monitor, and have a few more tanks in before I post weather or not the 51R battery really helped but the initial results are promising of at least 0.2L averaged out for a whole trip at this point.
nameless00 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-19-2017, 07:38 PM   #3 (permalink)

i did the 51r replacement about 4 years ago ... i too noticed a better feel to the car afterwards ... hard to exactly quantify it but systems were more willing as was the car itself ... as for the plastic tray, i removed mine too ... the battery is still sitting on the metal ledge cmfortably - it aint going anywhere ... and yes, it is a tight fit but once its i just forget about it ... the only time its a bother is the one time i had to change the air filter and the air filter box snap is a bitch to get off with the bigger battery in the way ... but eh thats the price to pay with this mod

2011 Insight LX - 78k miles
jcbesq is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-09-2018, 01:24 AM   #4 (permalink)

Garage

Having read this post googled replacement battery in Ireland,,,, extremely hard to source,redirected to eBay ,still no joy,not too many insights in Ireland,so presume it's a main dealer job,which means Uber expensive in this part of the world
Garrydhu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-09-2018, 03:24 AM   #5 (permalink)

My motor factors carries the standard battery alright. They charge €75 though, which is double the price of a more "regular" battery.
The 51R has to be ordered, but can be delivered by special ordert. Will take extra time and will cost extra money. Don't know if it makes sense. I consider adding a LiIon buffer battery...
Corkonian is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-09-2018, 05:48 AM   #6 (permalink)

Garage

That's grand thanks ,I'm also in Cork,are you the German guy living in Midelton?
Old 02-09-2018, 05:50 AM   #7 (permalink)

Garage

Mick's garage.ie do a cheaper one,but not sure ref specs, contacting them now,my own battery is ok,but never changed it and have the car a few years,so I'm going to buy one just in case
Old 02-09-2018, 05:54 AM   #8 (permalink)

Garage

e72 so cheap enough
Old 02-09-2018, 06:12 AM   #9 (permalink)

Garage

e65 in o Connors motor factors,glanmire ,co cork,,,in stock
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in