51R battery recommendations - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Go Back   Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum > 2nd Generation Honda Insight Forum > Modifications and Technical Discussions

Insightcentral.net is the premier Honda Insight Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-19-2018, 01:54 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default 51R battery recommendations

My current 12V battery is at least 5 years old, and possibly 8, so Ive put replacement on my to do list. Any recommendations? Ive seen enough people suggesting an upgrade to a group 51R that Ill probably go that route...and Im planning some additional stereo upgrades this year, so are there any batteries that would help with the additional power requirements Im going to be adding (for example, would a deep cycle battery provide any advantages)?
fish speaker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-20-2018, 08:42 AM   #2 (permalink)

just getting a 51r battery will be enough of an improvement in power ... i got a diehard silver and i think it has about 440cca ... the gold has about 540 - same with autocraft and premium grades of interstate, bosch, etc ... a deep cycle isnt necessary ... try an agm

2011 Insight LX - 78k miles

Last edited by jcbesq; 02-20-2018 at 12:35 PM.
jcbesq is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-21-2018, 03:54 AM   #3 (permalink)

The charging regime of the IMA system is a bit strange and usually it kills off bateries. Given the fact that the engine (almost) never starts using the starter but using the IMA, high cranking amps are not important. Size 51R are common in Golf carts, small engine systems and some UPS. Pick what you can get... Higher capacity and higher cranking amps make no difference in our cars.
Corkonian is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-21-2018, 08:21 AM   #4 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corkonian View Post
The charging regime of the IMA system is a bit strange and usually it kills off bateries. Given the fact that the engine (almost) never starts using the starter but using the IMA, high cranking amps are not important. Size 51R are common in Golf carts, small engine systems and some UPS. Pick what you can get... Higher capacity and higher cranking amps make no difference in our cars.
When you start with a higher capacity battery, it's going to take longer to deteriorate and will thus last longer.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S Keith is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-21-2018, 12:00 PM   #5 (permalink)

I doubt, that there is a lot of difference with the lifespan. If possible, I would rather go for a deep cycle battery, but those aren't made for the vibrations occurring with automotive.
Corkonian is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-21-2018, 12:33 PM   #6 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corkonian View Post
I doubt, that there is a lot of difference with the lifespan. If possible, I would rather go for a deep cycle battery, but those aren't made for the vibrations occurring with automotive.
Perhaps you're right in the mild climate in which you reside.

Deep cycles will still be damaged by the lower charge voltage of the Honda system. Continual storage/operation at < near 100% SoC damage all Pb-acid based batteries.

Here in 45C Phoenix, with 4 months annually of > 38C days, batteries die quick deaths. It's rare you get a flooded cell battery to last more than 2-3 years unless the owner is diligent about maintenance of "maintenance free" batteries.

Pb batteries die via continual capacity loss due to cycling, heat damage and sulfidation.

When one starts with 40% more capacity, it takes longer for it to reach the threshold where capacity is too low to reliably operate the vehicle.

I have personally replaced the 151R in 2X HCH2 with 51R that were $10 cheaper. I am still in touch with the owner of one of the vehicles, and he's going on 5 years on the same cheap Walmart battery.

While based on a limited sample size, my experience in an extreme environment with 151R vs. 51R batteries in a 1.3L Honda Hybrid has shown that the 51R represents a greater VALUE due to its longer life and lower cost.

S Keith is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Location (Required)
Where you live
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in