2012 Radio Swap Issue and questions - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Go Back   Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum > 2nd Generation Honda Insight Forum > Modifications and Technical Discussions

Insightcentral.net is the premier Honda Insight Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-26-2018, 07:35 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default 2012 Radio Swap Issue and questions

Ok so second insight i have and love the cars.

I am swaping my base 2012 honda insight radio to the nicer looking ex or lx radio i believe. The plug dont match and i have not been able to find my answers on this most just want a new crazy radio and i really just like the standard honda one see pictures and ready set go internet. The one on the right is the new one the one on the left is out of the car as you can see from additional photos both are factory.

thanks for your help
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20180626_065952.jpg (167.8 KB, 36 views)
File Type: jpg 20180626_071329.jpg (208.3 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg 20180626_071333.jpg (193.6 KB, 26 views)

Last edited by hondainsight2012; 06-26-2018 at 07:36 AM. Reason: sp
hondainsight2012 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-26-2018, 12:37 PM   #2 (permalink)

Send a message via Skype™ to Ecky

Wrong section you have a generation 2 Insight, this part of the forum is for the 2000-2006.
Old 06-26-2018, 01:12 PM   #3 (permalink)

Moved.

Sam
MIMA #150
Genesis Charger and Discharger
BumbleBee Battery
OBDIIC&C Gauge
NM license plate KERS
(Kinetic Energy Recovery System)
Alpine Stereo
Scott's front and rear springs
GAZ rear shocks
2003 Lean Burn CVT (Wife's car)
2000 Citrus with aerodynamic extension
2002 Blue getting new engine
Rainsux is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-27-2018, 01:12 AM   #4 (permalink)

I'm afraid you are going to be better off just using an aftermarket radio. Go to:

Results for: 2012 > Honda > Insight > Base > 4-door > Hatchback | Vehicle Fit Guide | Metra Online

If that link did not copy correctly, do the drill down for your exact model.
The base Insight has like 2 speakers, no usb, no steering wheel controls. The vehicles wiring harness is completely different. There may be a way to get that radio from upper model to wire in, but not without hacking things up. I think you are better off just adapting a cheap unit to the Insight. I have been looking for another car and you can get units by JVC, Pioneer, sony, or Kenwood for under $90.that have usb inputs and bluetooth. You just have to run a mic cable.
Once you have the Metra model numbers, an online search can save quite a bit over what the seller of the aftermarket radio will want.
egads is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-27-2018, 03:28 AM   #5 (permalink)

I have to agree. Although the radio connectors are (mostly) documented - except for GPS and rear view camera connectors - a lot of the functionality, like mobile phone connectivity, is not in the radio, but in external boxes that talk to the radio via the CAN bus. There are adapters available that connect the base adapter (and the antenna adapter!) to standard ISO (or open wires) and one should go from there. Other radios doii have the proprietary Honda adapter, but, frankly, I would rather go for a generic ISO radio and use the Honda to ISO adapter. I added a nice 10.1" Android system that basically outclasses the stock SatNav/Radio.
One last thing: the Gen2 Insight has an amplified battery. You will have to find the connector (usually on the antenna adapter) and connect it to +12V. Otherwise no radio.
Corkonian is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-04-2019, 10:24 AM   #6 (permalink)

Garage
Default Stock radio minus Bluetooth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corkonian View Post
I have to agree. Although the radio connectors are (mostly) documented - except for GPS and rear view camera connectors - a lot of the functionality, like mobile phone connectivity, is not in the radio, but in external boxes that talk to the radio via the CAN bus. There are adapters available that connect the base adapter (and the antenna adapter!) to standard ISO (or open wires) and one should go from there. Other radios doii have the proprietary Honda adapter, but, frankly, I would rather go for a generic ISO radio and use the Honda to ISO adapter. I added a nice 10.1" Android system that basically outclasses the stock SatNav/Radio.
One last thing: the Gen2 Insight has an amplified battery. You will have to find the connector (usually on the antenna adapter) and connect it to +12V. Otherwise no radio.
Hello again, back with another insight,UK /EU variant ES ,can I ask you had your original system bluetooth and or sat nav? Mine has neither and I particularly miss the Bluetooth, appreciate some advice
Garrydhu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-04-2019, 12:37 PM   #7 (permalink)

Mine has had the useless JDM HDD SatNav/Stereo/Bluetooth. I replaced it with an Android Bluetooth/SatNav. Lost the phone keys on the steering wheel and the reversing camera. Haven't had time to look into the camera as life has become a bit more busy than I need it to be...
Corkonian is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-04-2019, 12:48 PM   #8 (permalink)

Garage

Thanks for the reply
Old 06-04-2019, 12:50 PM   #9 (permalink)

Garage

When you're free maybe more info pls,as in did u put it in yourself,was it hard/ expensive,time consuming etc thankd
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
install help, radio code

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Location (Required)
Where you live
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in