Replacing 12v acid battery with lithium pack - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Go Back   Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum > 2nd Generation Honda Insight Forum > Modifications and Technical Discussions

Insightcentral.net is the premier Honda Insight Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-11-2018, 09:19 PM   #1 (permalink)

Post Replacing 12v acid battery with lithium pack

I have made a battery pack using 4.2v lithium cells from old laptops in a 3x7 cell arrangement (multiply voltage by 3 and multiply capacity by 7). I have a dead 12v acid battery in my Honda Insight 2010 and I want to replace it with my homemade lithium battery pack, however, a straight plug-and-play replacement won't work.

To charge this battery pack, I have to use a BMC circuit which regulates the charging of individual cell sections to retain the health of the battery. However, this BMC circuit has 4 terminals -- 2 are for charging the pack and 2 are for discharging. However, the lead-acid battery has only 2 terminals which are used both for charging and discharging. Also, I can't connect the 2 input terminals of the BMC with 2 output terminals of the BMC because that would cause the battery to charge itself, thus creating a short circuit.

Here's the thing, I believe the car's 12v positive terminal is connected to a separate circuit for charging and a separate circuit for discharging of the battery. I want to separate the connections of these circuits and make a separate positive terminal that only charges the battery and a separate terminal that only discharges the battery. And this is my question: what is the name of the charging and discharging circuits that the 2 battery terminals lead to?

I want to use the name of these circuits to find the electrical schematics online that will help me to find the physical location of these circuits in my car and separate the terminals for charging and discharging. Maybe you also know where to find such schematics?

I did find an electrical troubleshooting manual of this forum, but I can't seem to find what I want to look for. insightcentral.net/forums/honda-insight-forum-2nd-gen-discussion/61922-download-2010-2011-insight-service-electrical-troubleshooting-manuals-pdf.html

Any help is appreciated. Thank you.
DemSec is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-13-2018, 06:23 PM   #2 (permalink)

Buy a regular 12v on sale ... problem solved

2011 Insight LX - 78k miles
jcbesq is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-13-2018, 08:49 PM   #3 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

You can't find what you're looking for because it doesn't exist.

3 4.2V cells (assuming you mean 4.2V max with 3.7V nominal) with a 12.6V max voltage is a great way to literally burn down the battery. You need 4X 3.7V cells in series.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S Keith is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
battery charge, battery replacement, battery upgrade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Location (Required)
Where you live
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in