Android Head Unit - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Go Back   Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum > 2nd Generation Honda Insight Forum > Modifications and Technical Discussions

Insightcentral.net is the premier Honda Insight Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-05-2018, 02:14 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Android Head Unit

Hey everyone!

Just joined the Insight club and couldn't be happier with my new Hybrid. I recently got a 2010 base model (so just a CD player) and figured I would install a new nav system.

I opted for an Android Radio set from Xtrons. I used the guide here to pull out the OEM unit and the Android unit was simple enough to install. This took only an hour.

I need to take it out one more time to install steering wheel controls (even though it's a base model, it for some reason has radio controls) as well as the backup camera, but I'll need to do some more research first as to what will be required for that. But for navigation and media I highly recommend this!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg before.jpg (155.5 KB, 50 views)
File Type: jpg after.jpg (94.6 KB, 59 views)
ablation is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-07-2018, 05:25 PM   #2 (permalink)

good looking head unit. can you provide a link to the model number and what not?
maximrick is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-07-2018, 09:11 PM   #3 (permalink)

He is in Europe so the models will be different. There are threads here about getting that double din plastic piece that allows those units to be installed. Here in the US there would not be an android unit, just one that would work with either Apple or Android. Most US units have a usb input that can be configured to either just charge or connect as an iPod for music/podcasts. Most include Bluetooth for both phone and music. I have seen units from Pioneer advertised for as little as $80. Only units with navigation are really expensive. You do have to buy a separate interface for steering wheel controls. I strongly recommend using wiring hardness adapters from Metra or
Scosche to make the install easy and clean. I also recommend you look up what kind to use and buying them online. Way cheaper that way.
egads is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-07-2018, 09:21 PM   #4 (permalink)

There ARE Android units available in the US. I recently installed one in my Miata.

Sam
MIMA #150
Genesis Charger and Discharger
BumbleBee Battery
OBDIIC&C Gauge
NM license plate KERS
(Kinetic Energy Recovery System)
Alpine Stereo
Scott's front and rear springs
GAZ rear shocks
2003 Lean Burn CVT (Wife's car)
2000 Citrus with aerodynamic extension
2002 Blue getting new engine
Rainsux is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-07-2018, 10:01 PM   #5 (permalink)

https://www.google.com/search?q=doub...iw=360&bih=560

There are so many available in the US...

RIP 2000 Insight, 40k miles @ 69.2 mpg
2000 Insight, AKA "The Basket Case" or "The Go Pod" @185k miles @ 63.5 mpg
-IMAC&C, OBDIIC&C, Scott's aero panel, grid charger, cheapo sound system
samwichse is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-08-2018, 11:43 AM   #6 (permalink)

Here's the model: te706pl (check on their website I would post the link but I haven't posted enough here yet, ha!)

Didn't need a DVD player or anything, but the octa-core and 4GB of ram will help it last a long while. It's comes with all the cables you will need, except those for steering controls.

It also comes with 3x USB cables. One of them is very short, meant for probably installing a USB drive that stays behind the dash (which I've done for additional storage). The other two easily reach the glove compartment and then some. My Insight didn't have the USB in the armrest, but I was able to route one of the USBs (with an extension) to there. Works flawlessly!

I also didn't buy this directly from Xtrons, but from a 3rd party and they included the Double DIN plastic frame for the Insight.
ablation is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-10-2018, 07:21 AM   #7 (permalink)

The Xtrons stuff is okay.
I have their 10.1" unit. Works like a charm.
The short USB is meant to either hold a TV-stick or connect your headunit to an USB ODBII.
Corkonian is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-30-2019, 01:14 PM   #8 (permalink)

Garage
Default Android advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corkonian View Post
The Xtrons stuff is okay.
I have their 10.1" unit. Works like a charm.
The short USB is meant to either hold a TV-stick or connect your headunit to an USB ODBII.
To all here any advice with instructions/pics etc would be fantastic as I'm going to install a head unit on a 2012 es insight (UK originally/Ireland now)and am a complete luddite,thank you.
Garrydhu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-19-2019, 04:30 PM   #9 (permalink)

Garage

If you're still active on this site/ forum and in Europe I'd appreciate an update on the android head unit you installed,is price, difficulty to install,link,more photos,etc,and would you recommend it,I've a 2012 es ( ex UK model) now in Ireland, appreciate any feedback-👍
Garrydhu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Location (Required)
Where you live
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in