Upgrading Stereo - Page 2 - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Go Back   Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum > 3rd Generation Honda Insight Forum > Modifications and Technical Discussions

Insightcentral.net is the premier Honda Insight Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-22-2018, 05:48 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verdier View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by romeoog View Post
Quote:
I have some wiring info for the premium system amp outputs but not for the standard. Hooking my sub was generally easy since I just got an amp with wire inputs and slaved off the built in sub line, but with yours you may find it more difficult. I'll look for the diagrams and send you what I have. It might help you out a bit.
If you can find something I would really appreciated, cause sound sucks with bass, Had that sub on my 03 accord so used to it now.
Okay here is the info I have. If the resolution is dropped too much by the forums then feel free to send me a private message with your telephone number and I'll text the pictures to you. I still think the safest way to hook your sub until more info is out there is to slave it off the bass speaker wires and set your amp to proper frequencies and volume you like.
Thanks for all the info! PM sent. Where is the factory amp?
Proforce is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-23-2018, 01:37 AM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Okay here is the info I have. If the resolution is dropped too much by the forums then feel free to send me a private message with your telephone number and I'll text the pictures to you. I still think the safest way to hook your sub until more info is out there is to slave it off the bass speaker wires and set your amp to proper frequencies and volume you like.
You are amazing, this will definitely helps... Do you know how I can open the panels so I can get access to the infotainment?
romeoog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-23-2018, 01:39 AM   #13 (permalink)

Meeting with a guy tomorrow to make a plan for an upgrade. So far my thoughts are Audio Control 801 DSP, Focal Flax series components, JL 10w3, and still deciding on Amps but thinking ARC Audio. Well see how it goes. More to come
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-23-2018, 02:10 PM   #14 (permalink)

The exact position of the amp is unknown to me. We decided to slave off the actual subwoofer directly in the trunk and when we called the Honda dealership to ask where the amp was the doofus on the phone said there wasn't an amp in the car. Needless to say your milage will vary quite a bit when talking to Honda. The panels are very prone to scratching so careful taking them off, my friends at Best buy took them off so I'm not sure how they came off. It was all guesswork since they had little info to work on. I'm curious to see how you guys mod this system. I prefer to have control via the screen but without official support I don't know of anything that interfaces with the tourings computer or steering controls. I'd also like control of the dsp and put the center channel output to the main speakers since it blares like a banshee and the equalization needs to be tweaked from so much treble output. Also those damn tweeters in the doors need replacing since they crackle and buzz all the time. This system really annoys the hell out of me. Please keep us informed on what all of you guys do and consider youtubing a video on it. I really need to bypass this day and amp and find good speakers to replace the crap ones. Guess I'll need to dynamat the doors too. Cheers all.
Verdier is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-23-2018, 03:03 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
The exact position of the amp is unknown to me. We decided to slave off the actual subwoofer directly in the trunk and when we called the Honda dealership to ask where the amp was the doofus on the phone said there wasn't an amp in the car. Needless to say your milage will vary quite a bit when talking to Honda. The panels are very prone to scratching so careful taking them off, my friends at Best buy took them off so I'm not sure how they came off. It was all guesswork since they had little info to work on. I'm curious to see how you guys mod this system. I prefer to have control via the screen but without official support I don't know of anything that interfaces with the tourings computer or steering controls. I'd also like control of the dsp and put the center channel output to the main speakers since it blares like a banshee and the equalization needs to be tweaked from so much treble output. Also those damn tweeters in the doors need replacing since they crackle and buzz all the time. This system really annoys the hell out of me. Please keep us informed on what all of you guys do and consider youtubing a video on it. I really need to bypass this day and amp and find good speakers to replace the crap ones. Guess I'll need to dynamat the doors too. Cheers all.
So there are 10 channels which makes this hard because most high end DSPs are only 8 channels. The center channel i dont want to mess with since it has dedicated audio for voice guidance and system alerts. My thoughts are to leave the center to run off factory amp and maybe just upgrade the speaker to handle higher volumes. The factory sub will just be disconnected and not used at all.

Front door tweeters, front door speakere, rear deck speakere and rear deck tweeters make up 8 channels that can be summed together on the dsp to produce a full range flat audio signal.

From there ill run a 6 channel amp for the speakers. The car will have 6.5 components front and rear. The rear will be run passive with a crossover and the fronts will run active for better tuning. That uses all 6 channels. Then a dedicated mono block amp for a single sub in a custom ported box.

Equipment list will be:
Focal Flax 6.5 components front
Focal Access 6.5 Components rear
JL TW12 slimline sub and custom ported box
Focal 900.6 amp for speakers
Probably a JL or Alpine digital amp for sub
Audio Control 801 DSP
Full dynamat on front doors
Full dynamat on rear deck and trunk
Undecided on wiring yet, maybe Stinger, Fosgate or Monster cables.

Id like to run 3-ways up front but unless i fiberglass the mids into the kick panels theres no room and i dont want this to be flashy so ill pass on that. Might upgrade the rear speakers to Flax series also to match the front.

I believe factory amp is in passenger kick panel. Ill confirm later. Still need to figure out if the factory sub channel needs to somehow be included in the dsp to sum the signal. It might since the rears are active components on their own channels and not full range. That really messes this up. An 8 speaker system like in the EX would be much easier to run.

Ill post updates as i go
Old 12-23-2018, 03:09 PM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by romeoog View Post
Quote:
You are amazing, this will definitely helps... Do you know how I can open the panels so I can get access to the infotainment?
You don't want to access behind the radio. It uses a digital signal to the factory amp which is useless. You have to interface AFTER the factory amp.
Old 12-23-2018, 03:11 PM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Do you have issues with the sub buzzing/humming/hissing? I ask because adding a sub the way you did usually interferes with the ANC (active noise cancellation) and causes unwanted noises and problems unless you disable the ANC
Old 12-23-2018, 11:08 PM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proforce View Post
Quote:
Do you have issues with the sub buzzing/humming/hissing? I ask because adding a sub the way you did usually interferes with the ANC (active noise cancellation) and causes unwanted noises and problems unless you disable the ANC
I haven't had a bit of noise from the system at all, but the sub hasn't added too much to it. I think I need to fool around with the amp and see if I can get better bass response. I'm curious about you keeping the center channel the way it is since for me I have found the center to be extremely bright and ear shattering with it's treble at high volumes. Also, with the setup you are currently proposing how much control of the system will you have? Will you still be able to use steering controls? Will you be able to access the controls via the main screen? I'm thinking if someone can find an outside app that can be loaded into the computer (it has an app loader on it) that has equalization and other effects that could be used on the dsp, it could really help quite a bit. I'd pay money for an outside app that will shape the music. Again I'm hoping if this system is added to the refreshed 2019 civics we might see a lot more hacking into this stereo system.

Last edited by Verdier; 12-25-2018 at 08:58 AM. Reason: Spell check
Old 06-03-2019, 12:41 AM   #19 (permalink)

I have the touring as well. Make sure the DTS Surround is turned "ON" (found it Settings and Sound). It came defaulted off on my vehicle. Once I turned it "ON" it made a lot of difference. I traded in my 2015 BMW 328d for the new Insight Touring. Of course, it doesn't ride like the BMW but I think the Insight radio is as good or better than the BMW but I didn't have the premium sound in it either.

Hope this helps.

Greg
skyjake is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-03-2019, 01:03 PM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyjake View Post
I have the touring as well. Make sure the DTS Surround is turned "ON" (found it Settings and Sound). It came defaulted off on my vehicle. Once I turned it "ON" it made a lot of difference. I traded in my 2015 BMW 328d for the new Insight Touring. Of course, it doesn't ride like the BMW but I think the Insight radio is as good or better than the BMW but I didn't have the premium sound in it either.

Hope this helps.

Greg
I have done a lot of work on the stereo. If you're interested in seeing the results then check out my YouTube channel verdier400.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in