Feature improvement for Gen 3 Insight - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Go Back   Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum > 3rd Generation Honda Insight Forum > Modifications and Technical Discussions

Insightcentral.net is the premier Honda Insight Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-01-2019, 06:12 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Feature improvement for Gen 3 Insight

Couple of things that I think Honda can improve and/or fix on insight

1. Increase the timeout for self stop "Stopped" state when car is in stop n go traffic or when it comes to a halt at an intersection. Noticed its 5 seconds and 5 seconds is less, especially in stop n go traffic situations. You have to press the gas pedal or res button to get the car moving again after car ahead of you has moved. Increasing this timeout value will alleviate the need for intervention when traffic is bad and traffic ahead moves very slowly.
2. When driving on a straight lane above 50 using all lane assist features especially on a highway, "streeing required" message pops up on the screen if the steering has not been moved slightly for about 15 seconds. This is distracting and annoying. I thought that steering was touch sensitive and would only pop up when driver is hands off but I can reproduce it when I have one hand or even both hands on steering wheel and have not moved it for more than 15 seconds.

Both are software related and I think can be updated by a firmware update.
bobsingh1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-02-2019, 04:42 PM   #2 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsingh1 View Post
2. When driving on a straight lane above 50 using all lane assist features especially on a highway, "streeing required" message pops up on the screen if the steering has not been moved slightly for about 15 seconds. This is distracting and annoying. I thought that steering was touch sensitive and would only pop up when driver is hands off but I can reproduce it when I have one hand or even both hands on steering wheel and have not moved it for more than 15 seconds.
The steering wheel doesn't have touch-sensors (otherwise those of us with steering wheel covers would be affected). Unfortunately, the "steering required" message comes on if the driver isn't actively accelerating, braking, or moving the steering wheel.
insitefully is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-12-2019, 04:36 AM   #3 (permalink)

I sometimes get Lane Departure warnings when I didn't go over painted solid lines. This may be happening due to winter conditions of cracked roadways or tire grooves on the salt coated roadway lane. I could only change the LDM to Warn Only, but could not find any way to totally turn it off. But before I turned it to Warn Only, the car triggered a BREAK action in moving traffic. This is not good!

I would like to use this feature ONLY if I were a bit tired, otherwise turn it completely OFF. That needs to be an option.

I also agree with the OP on the resume time after stopping. It's slow and lags behind to far...and makes everyone behind you frustrated and angry. ACC is a great feature, but it needs some tightening up. It also needs to have better deceleration when approaching cars that are stopped or near stopped. Last minute "hard breaking" is scary. It does eventually "stop", but takes too long to start that process. A more gradual slow down would be what normal drivers do. Again, this is only when approaching a stopped vehicle from some distance.

Phil
PHILBERT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-12-2019, 09:13 AM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHILBERT View Post
I sometimes get Lane Departure warnings when I didn't go over painted solid lines. This may be happening due to winter conditions of cracked roadways or tire grooves on the salt coated roadway lane. I could only change the LDM to Warn Only, but could not find any way to totally turn it off. But before I turned it to Warn Only, the car triggered a BREAK action in moving traffic. This is not good!

I would like to use this feature ONLY if I were a bit tired, otherwise turn it completely OFF. That needs to be an option.

I also agree with the OP on the resume time after stopping. It's slow and lags behind to far...and makes everyone behind you frustrated and angry. ACC is a great feature, but it needs some tightening up. It also needs to have better deceleration when approaching cars that are stopped or near stopped. Last minute "hard breaking" is scary. It does eventually "stop", but takes too long to start that process. A more gradual slow down would be what normal drivers do. Again, this is only when approaching a stopped vehicle from some distance.

Phil
I'm pretty sure if you turn off Honda sensing the lane departure problems will turn off. The button is on your left near traction control button. As far as the approaching cars from a far distance and speed and the car doing sudden braking. Don't rely on it. The radar sending is around 200yds Max I believe so at speed this can close very quickly. Also the car may never register on radar under certain circumstances. I made a video on YouTube showing this phenomenon in action. Be cautious, we don't want someone with the high intelligence of buying a superior car like the Insight getting squashed.😉
Verdier is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-13-2019, 05:27 AM   #5 (permalink)

I watched your video before I posted, and actually tested the distant stopped car scenario weeks ago. It did catch the cars before it was too late, but I had my foot on the break just in case. You have to use your head in that situation. Now, if I see that situation coming, I click the - regen paddle a couple of times and get ready to break if I'm getting too close.

As far as Lane Departure goes, I still want to use Lane Keep, just not Departure. Turning it all off is not what I want to do. I would think Honda could add the "OFF" option for Departure on a System Update. So far there have been no updates since I've purchased my Insight. I wonder what the "updates" can, or will, actually update.

I know you love this car as much as I do. I hear it in your videos! These are small complaints. Overall, the Insight is a great car. It's not often you get a Hybrid that not only looks better than a lot of high-end "sport cars" with super high HP, but is also loaded with technology that is laid out well (all the controls in the right places) and works pretty darn good. With just a few tweaks, these small things could be made near perfect. I have yet to see how, or if, Honda responds to improvements on models already released. Hopefully they can make improvements through the System Update utility.

Phil
PHILBERT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-13-2019, 10:27 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHILBERT View Post
I watched your video before I posted, and actually tested the distant stopped car scenario weeks ago. It did catch the cars before it was too late, but I had my foot on the break just in case. You have to use your head in that situation. Now, if I see that situation coming, I click the - regen paddle a couple of times and get ready to break if I'm getting too close.

As far as Lane Departure goes, I still want to use Lane Keep, just not Departure. Turning it all off is not what I want to do. I would think Honda could add the "OFF" option for Departure on a System Update. So far there have been no updates since I've purchased my Insight. I wonder what the "updates" can, or will, actually update. [IMG class=inlineimg]/forums/images/smilies/confused.gif[/IMG]

I know you love this car as much as I do. I hear it in your videos! These are small complaints. Overall, the Insight is a great car. It's not often you get a Hybrid that not only looks better than a lot of high-end "sport cars" with super high HP, but is also loaded with technology that is laid out well (all the controls in the right places) and works pretty darn good. With just a few tweaks, these small things could be made near perfect. I have yet to see how, or if, Honda responds to improvements on models already released. Hopefully they can make improvements through the System Update utility.

Phil
Glad the videos were enjoyable to you. When on cruise I never use the paddles to slow down when approaching a stopped vehicle at a distance. I do this mostly to test the acc and see what it will do and I'm sorry to say that if the criteria I've said in the video are met then the brakes engaging are still a 50/50 proposition. I'm hoping this can be fixed with a possible recalibration of the camera. I have an appointment with Honda tomorrow about the slipping in the transmission I'm feeling so I plan on showing the acc failure video and seeing what they say.
I see what you're saying about the departure settings and I agree that Honda should consider having more choices in the settings menu for this. This is one thing the Ford fusion energi beats out the Honda on. Try going into the lane assist settings and drive on narrow or wide setting for a couple of days and see if this helps any. Good luck dude.
Verdier is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in