Lack of spare wheel - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Go Back   Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum > 2nd Generation Honda Insight Forum > Modifications and Technical Discussions

Insightcentral.net is the premier Honda Insight Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-26-2019, 05:10 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Lack of spare wheel

Hi everyone new to this forum im a proud insight owner 2 years now. Id like to buy a spare wheel. Any ideas on how I could get around the lack of space in trunk/boot area, so I can store the wheel safely?
I see there is a foam insert, can this be changed to one with a cut out for a spare wheel? any Input would be greatly appreciated.
dangee50 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-26-2019, 08:30 PM   #2 (permalink)

Well, you do not say what year or model you have. Or where you are. Those things can kind of matter. Here is the link to the parts page showing the spare tire parts in the US:

https://www.bernardiparts.com/Honda/...assembly=17695

If that does not open to the exact page (sometimes it will only open the main page of such links), just look up parts, enter your year and model information and the section is: Chassis and at the bottom of the list, Wheel Disk. It shows the spare rim, a bolt & plate to secure the spare and a foam insert. It's normal for one to have to buy the tire itself from a tire store (they usually have to order them)

The tools & jack are shown in: Interior/Bumper then at the bottom of the list again, Tools-Jack The screwdriver thing they show is for models with hubcaps.

Now if you are in GB/Ireland or somewhere else, I have no idea how you would get this stuff.
egads is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-27-2019, 02:52 AM   #3 (permalink)

Hi, im actually in Ireland and i have a a jap import not exactly sure what model it is.

The car does not seem to have an area to store the wheel. I see in the us models it has a cut out for it. The battery takes up all the room, i just have a small compartment in front of it.

So im guessing im just going to have to leave it unsecured in the boot/trunk.

If anyone has the problem and you have any tips on a way to secure the wheel. Please let me know.
dangee50 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-27-2019, 12:29 PM   #4 (permalink)

In the US, there are space saver spares, thin tires only good for limited time & speed. That does fit there instead of the foam insert. But most vehicles no longer have a place for a full size spare. Iím pretty sure 2nd generation Insights were sold in GB and Europe, not sure about Ireland. I also donít know if they came with space saver spares or the insert (and compressor & patch kit?)
egads is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-30-2019, 01:05 PM   #5 (permalink)

Garage
Default Space saver location

Quote:
Originally Posted by dangee50 View Post
Hi, im actually in Ireland and i have a a jap import not exactly sure what model it is.

The car does not seem to have an area to store the wheel. I see in the us models it has a cut out for it. The battery takes up all the room, i just have a small compartment in front of it.

So im guessing im just going to have to leave it unsecured in the boot/trunk.

If anyone has the problem and you have any tips on a way to secure the wheel. Please let me know.
I took the foam out, wrapped the space saver in whole sleeping bag,packed around it, covered,once foamy stuff( plastic)us removed you've loads of room,p.s. I'm in Cork if you need advice,had an insight,and buying one hopefully in Dublin Saturday,last 2 deals fell apart I'll give mobile number if requested in a p.m. good luck

Last edited by Garrydhu; 05-30-2019 at 01:08 PM. Reason: Unfinished
Garrydhu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in