Custom alarm for 2013 Honda Insight - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Go Back   Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum > 2nd Generation Honda Insight Forum > Modifications and Technical Discussions

Insightcentral.net is the premier Honda Insight Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-25-2014, 10:48 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Custom alarm for 2013 Honda Insight

Hello all! I just got a 2013 Insight LX last Sunday and I'm absolutely loving it!

The only thing was the dealer wanted $900 to install the alarm system >_>

Have any of you installed a custom alarm solution yourselves or had one done professionally? I've installed a stereo before, matching the individual wires, and that's the extent of my car electrical experience. Do you think I would be able to install an alarm myself with my limited experience?

And one final, but very important question: are there alarms I can buy with a custom alarm sounds like say.. The starship Voyager's red alert sound?

Anyway, I'm really happy with my purchase, I honestly don't think I couldn't found a better car! I look forward to what you guys (and gals) have tried

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
akashio is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-26-2014, 11:42 AM   #2 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

Welcome aboard.

Wow, thats a lot for an alarm. Is it the optional Honda one or aftermarket? You can go to best buy or your local pimp my ride store that does window tinting, stereos and such for an alarm. Many include free installation.

It depends on the alarm. Some alarms are plug n play, some are universal and require you to hack wires in the car. Id suggest reviewing installation guides to see if you are up to it.

Cobb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-26-2014, 03:52 PM   #3 (permalink)

Default Yes it was was the optional Honda alarm

They offered to keep the dealer's alarm installed for $900 dollars; but I declined. It seemed way to steep for an alarm system. I didn't know best buy would install it as well, I'll have to call mine and see what they charge. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-26-2014, 03:56 PM   #4 (permalink)

Or just forget it. Everyone ignores car alarms anyway.
egads is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-26-2014, 04:31 PM   #5 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

I dont think you can remove the stock honda alarm. You can just disable it. My local pmp my ride store charges 250 for a viper alarm and 500 for the same with remote start. They include installation.

Old 02-27-2014, 02:46 PM   #6 (permalink)

I don't think the LX comes with a factory alarm. I hate dealers that install **** and then expect you to pay for it. I once made a dealer remove pin stripping.
egads is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-27-2014, 03:13 PM   #7 (permalink)

Thanks for all your replies! Props on making them remove the pin stripes hahaha

I'm not getting the alarm so much for theft prevention but rather as a vandalism alert. LA drives tend to use their shitty old cars to nudge their way into parking spaces and thugs like to key cars, etc. I'll call around and see what I can get in my area.

I'll let you all know what I find. Thanks again
Old 02-27-2014, 03:52 PM   #8 (permalink)

Get it elsewhere. I didn't see the '$900' alarm install when I was signing contract when purchasing the vehicle back in 2010. The $900 only install an aftermarket shock sensor by Automate, at most would cost $200 w/ install elsewhere. You're better off finding another place to get an alarm and possibly an a lot better one than the dealer options.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

~2010 Honda Insight LX Atomic Blue - 2010-04-25~
~1,000 miles - 2010-07-13~
~10,000 miles - 2011-09-05~
~20,000 miles - 2012-05-22~
~30,000 miles - 2013-03-09~
~40,000 miles - 2013-09-14~
~50,000 miles - 2014-03-20~
~60,000 miles - 2014-08-28~
runtohel121 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-27-2014, 05:16 PM   #9 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

Wait a second, the 2nd gen insight doesnt come with am alarm?!?!?! Mines has what looks like a generic honda 3 button key fob to lock, unlock doors and panic. When I lock my car there is a red light that blinks on the dash. If I lock my doors and am inside and go to exit I set off the alarm which blinks the lights and honks the horn.

Are we talking about the same thing?

I know for the FIT you can get a remote start module.

When the Insight was first listed for sale they use to list an upgrade to the alarm on the accessory list as well as a bug deflector for the hood, but both of those vanished.

Old 02-27-2014, 05:37 PM   #10 (permalink)

Nope it wasn't standard on my 2013 LX. It has the blinking red light, but testing the locked handle or knocking on the car doesn't set of an alarm.

They specifically asked me if I wanted to keep the alarm system but when they mentioned the price it was a definite no lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in