Oil for Insight Gen 2, Dealer threw in the wrong one? - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Go Back   Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum > 2nd Generation Honda Insight Forum > Modifications and Technical Discussions

Insightcentral.net is the premier Honda Insight Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-11-2014, 04:49 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Oil for Insight Gen 2, Dealer threw in the wrong one?

Hello everyone,

As I was working on my administration yesterday, I re-read my bills from the dealer. I found out that my Honda dealer is using 5w40 instead of the 0w20 that is recommended by Honda.

Is this really wrong? In the owners manual is stated that 5w40 is allowed, but that 0w20 is preferred.

Since I bought this Honda second hand at the same dealer I assume that this car has been running on 5w40 it's whole life.

I'm planning on doing the coming maintenance myself. Shoud I use 0w20 at that moment or 5w40 again?

Kind regards,
barthurkens is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-11-2014, 05:31 AM   #2 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

In simple words, use the 0W-20 Mobil1 Oil. That`s the best you can do for your engine.
ZE101 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-11-2014, 07:53 AM   #3 (permalink)

They put 5W30 on the bill with mine but swear they have put 0W20 in.

I might buy some 0W20 and give that to them to use; they charged quite a lot for that 5W30... They got to make money, but it was 3 times over the top.
RedDevil is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-11-2014, 08:48 AM   #4 (permalink)

I complained after a dealer put 5w30 on the invoice and they refilled it with 0w20 free of charge. Have moved dealers since than as that one seemed to consistently fall short of my expectations.

I tried another dealer (same company, different location) for my next oil change and they have been consistently better. For my first oil change there I specified 0w20 but they called me to inform me that Honda now recommend "Honda Green Oil" for their hybrids and asking permission to use it. I agreed and it's been in there for 9000 miles. It's due for a chance again soon but no complaints from me after using it.

Honda Green oil doesn't show a weight on the label but is reportedly effectively a 0w16.

5w40 isn't 'wrong' though. It won't break your engine. It's just that Honda recommend 0w20 or their own thinner oil for optimal fuel economy.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

Last edited by Uriel; 03-11-2014 at 08:56 AM.
Uriel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-11-2014, 03:51 PM   #5 (permalink)

Default Dealers and Oil

They sign up for bulk purchase of engine oil from suppliers, supplied in bulk, thousands of litres per annum, to the dealer the cost per litre is low and their mark up is high, turn up with a car such as Insight with preferred oil which is "unusual" you are then rocking the "profit" boat, that is the reason they fill with a generic oil if they can.

Last edited by E27006; 03-11-2014 at 03:54 PM.
E27006 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-11-2014, 05:13 PM   #6 (permalink)

Next service coming up soon.
I'll ask for Honda Green Oil (thanks for the tip!) and to have the bottle, to take pictures of it and analyze the remaining oil in it.

I want to hit 65 mpgUS for a tank this summer. I know I can if conditions are right. Already had several 70 mpg trips (according to the MID) last year. Green oil may help!
RedDevil is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-11-2014, 05:53 PM   #7 (permalink)

Phoned the dealer today. They said that 5w30 is better. Because this would prevent the car from using oil.

They said the hybrids consume the 0w20 and with the long interval, some people end up haring not enough oil in their engines. Don't know of this is true?

But can I wait till my next service for the right oil?
barthurkens is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-11-2014, 06:21 PM   #8 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

barthurkens,

correct you will find if you change over from 5w30 to the 0w20 or even the green oil you will use slightly more oil, BUT!! in my experience with the Honda green oil
If you continue to use the thinner oil I noticed a change in oil consumption for the better on both cars.
I use the green oil on both my civic's since i bought them, I change the oil every 7,000 miles and now they never use a drop
Wish the same could have been said when I 1st changed over as they both used a 1.0 liter bottle each in 7k

Dave
2005 Honda Civic IMA 44k
OBDIIC&C, Ver27 PIC18F2620.
IMAC&C-LCD, Ver 15 PIC12F683.
honda-dave is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-11-2014, 06:29 PM   #9 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

Also some related topics here

https://www.insightcentral.net/forums...ic-hybrid.html

https://www.insightcentral.net/forums...-race-oil.html

https://www.insightcentral.net/forums...green-oil.html

Dave
2005 Honda Civic IMA 44k
OBDIIC&C, Ver27 PIC18F2620.
IMAC&C-LCD, Ver 15 PIC12F683.
honda-dave is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-11-2014, 07:23 PM   #10 (permalink)

I for one have not noticed any significant oil use at all in 25,000 miles. I can't vouch for the first owner but (aside from a week or two where I was waiting for the dealer to correct their error) all I've had our in the car is 0w20 or Green Oil.

I suspect that the dealer is trying to keep barthukens on 5w30 as they buy it in bulk for pennies a litre and like selling it on with a big fat mark up.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in