Custom Cold Air Intake - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Go Back   Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum > 2nd Generation Honda Insight Forum > Modifications and Technical Discussions

Insightcentral.net is the premier Honda Insight Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-14-2014, 09:00 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Custom Cold Air Intake

So I have not been on the forums for some time as the autoguide free app only crashes for me. Since the last time I was on the forum, I have added a custom cold air intake. I basically rerouted the intake to the front of the grill. I cut out the fins that direct air in to the engine bay. Then, I used a 3 inch diameter (maybe four inch) semi rigid dryer vent and some twist ties to attach the intake to the grill where the fins used to be.

The air intake temperatures so far have been within five to ten degrees of ambient air temp. I have noticed a significant increase in pick up and acceleration. Also, I got the best half gas tank of the winter after I installed the intake.

More pics to come!

Last edited by twulz; 09-19-2015 at 09:12 PM.
twulz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-14-2014, 10:37 AM   #2 (permalink)

Redneck "Forced Induction". Beware..... mice will soon be sleeping in the air cleaner.

Willie
MaxIMA Battery (Serial #2), on 8/25/12 @ 301,000 miles
Another MaxIMA Battery, on 6/25/17 @ 399,252 miles
Use: 438,000 mi. @ 58.2 LMPG.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Willie Williford is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-14-2014, 10:56 AM   #3 (permalink)

😆 That is a good point, Willie. I thought about adding a screen into the line to keep out creepy crawlies and leaves. With the large 90 degree bend in the intake, I sometimes doubt whether or not the air really gets "forced" into the engine. Also, the hood closes on the hosing slightly but not enough to restrict flow.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-14-2014, 11:03 AM   #4 (permalink)

"Experimentation is the father of invention."
A good screen is probably an old fashioned "flour sifter". The hand held type.

Good Luck
Willie
MaxIMA Battery (Serial #2), on 8/25/12 @ 301,000 miles
Another MaxIMA Battery, on 6/25/17 @ 399,252 miles
Use: 438,000 mi. @ 58.2 LMPG.

Willie Williford is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-14-2014, 05:30 PM   #5 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

Yeah, I dont use auto guide either. I had a nexus 7 and the droid app was horrible in relation to the ios one.

It could use some work, but its a good start. Our engine loves cold moist air. I was actually going to bite the bullet and just drill a hole in the hood and mount a fake hood scoop I make a hole in to funnel air into the hole cut, then use a dryer vent.

So you went around hte radiator/condensor and made a hole in the rubber air diver? I know the crz has a cai that goes down below the battery and between the head light and front bumper area to get cold air.

Now you need one of these.

3 5" Alloy RAM Pipe Air Inlet Intake Funnel Trumpet Duct Blue USA Seller | eBay

Cobb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-15-2014, 03:40 PM   #6 (permalink)

As of now the intake is more for functionality than for looks. Concerning the aesthetics, it leaves something to be desired. I have attached pic of where it runs to/from.

I don't see how the blue funnel would increase throughput of air into the intake. Rather, I think it will only restrict flow, while looking stylish. 😄

Last edited by twulz; 09-19-2015 at 09:12 PM.
Old 03-15-2014, 09:38 PM   #7 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

Cool

Wow, your engine bay looks like its from the showroom floor.

Cobb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-16-2014, 12:03 PM   #8 (permalink)

Lol. Yeah the showroom of a salvaged vehicle lot 😁 It sure has character. Once I have some money, I can try to make her look better. We tend to prefer the Franken-Insight look, don't we? 😷
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in