TPMS on another insight interchangeable - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Go Back   Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum > 2nd Generation Honda Insight Forum > Modifications and Technical Discussions

Insightcentral.net is the premier Honda Insight Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-16-2014, 06:48 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default TPMS on another insight interchangeable

Ok, we got a new 2013 LX for the wife, it has steel wheels. My car is a 2010 EX with alloy wheels. I want to put the alloys on the 2013 so I can have her steel wheels with full disc covers on my 2010.
If I swap wheels from one to the other, will the TPMS report a problem or just see the other Insight wheels and be happy? I might have to try this

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
johnnymac is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-16-2014, 07:56 PM   #2 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

Cool

They have to be paired with the car. Honda charges 54 bucks for this, some tire shops 20 bucks.

Cobb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-17-2014, 02:07 PM   #3 (permalink)

It needs to be reprogramed for the car.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

~2010 Honda Insight LX Atomic Blue - 2010-04-25~
~1,000 miles - 2010-07-13~
~10,000 miles - 2011-09-05~
~20,000 miles - 2012-05-22~
~30,000 miles - 2013-03-09~
~40,000 miles - 2013-09-14~
~50,000 miles - 2014-03-20~
~60,000 miles - 2014-08-28~
runtohel121 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-17-2014, 02:42 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnymac View Post
Ok, we got a new 2013 LX for the wife, it has steel wheels. My car is a 2010 EX with alloy wheels. I want to put the alloys on the 2013 so I can have her steel wheels with full disc covers on my 2010.
If I swap wheels from one to the other, will the TPMS report a problem or just see the other Insight wheels and be happy? I might have to try this
The tire size is different as well.
10ex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-17-2014, 10:17 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10ex View Post
The tire size is different as well.
But that does not really matter as the rims are exactly the same. Many of us,
myself included have replaced the 2010 tires with the 2012 size. For one thing there is a lot more tire choices.
egads is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-17-2014, 10:34 PM   #6 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

Its a plus size so the over all outside diameter is the same.

Old 04-25-2014, 05:02 AM   #7 (permalink)

Each TPMS has a serial number on them, if you swap the wheels, you'll have to remove the TPMS and install it with the new wheels and it should be fine. The TPMS is not interchangeable, make sure its on the vehicle that it was originally came with, or else you'll have to reprogram it at an auto shop if they know how, or at the dealership.
NutzAboutBolts is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-25-2014, 06:33 PM   #8 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

Any ideas on how to bypass it? Would pulling the tpms fuse generate a general check engine light vs inhibit you from turning off trac control?

I had 2 sensors die on me. Other than the idiot light it prevents you from turning off trac control. This is necessary in heavy snow/mud/sand where wheel spin is necessary to make movement, rock the car loose, or dig its way out, etc.

I found 4 used ones on ebay for 100 bucks. Honda charged me 50 bucks to program them and it didnt work. A tire shop checked them, said they were transmitting, full charge and programmed. It fixed the problem.

Old 04-25-2014, 07:10 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobb View Post
Any ideas on how to bypass it? Would pulling the tpms fuse generate a general check engine light vs inhibit you from turning off trac control?

I had 2 sensors die on me. Other than the idiot light it prevents you from turning off trac control. This is necessary in heavy snow/mud/sand where wheel spin is necessary to make movement, rock the car loose, or dig its way out, etc.

I found 4 used ones on ebay for 100 bucks. Honda charged me 50 bucks to program them and it didnt work. A tire shop checked them, said they were transmitting, full charge and programmed. It fixed the problem.
never heard anyone trying to bypass it lol, I'm not sure if there is even a fuse for it. If I stand correct, I know that Toyota has a small TPMS computer and that basically tracks the TPMS. I'm not too familiar with the Honda's, so I can't say. I would just get it reprogram and not try to cause anymore problems.
NutzAboutBolts is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in