Honda Insight Forum banner

Any new information on replacing the 12v Battery?

2K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  egads 
#1 ·
Mine just died. It has a Honda 100 month type 51 battery, with a sticker that says 11/11. I called the dealership, and they said that they won't honor the warranty unless I'm the original purchase. Cool (dicks). So what do I get?

I tried picking up a $20 garden tractor battery, but the terminals were all wrong.

#2 ·
If you are using a LM battery, you have to get the "terminal adapters". (From bolt to post).

Willie

#5 · (Edited)
I had trouble getting my battery replaced by my dealership, as they claimed they needed to test it by Honda's battery tester and only if that rejects teh battery would Honda allow for a warranty replacement.
It said the battery was fine while it left me stranded at a traffic light!
(I have seen them run several tests with it; at least one with the car engine running...! :eek:)

I called Honda Netherlands (= Belgium now) and they asked me to ask the dealership to call them. They went over the testing procedure and tested the battery again, now it rejected the battery and I got a new one under warranty.

Sometimes there is some grit in between the cogs. Call the importer. The warranty should transfer to the new owner in a sale. If your dealer does not get that, let Honda tell them.

#6 ·
So I just realized that you are talking about a replacement battery in a 2000 model year Insight. I was mislead because you are posting in the second generation forum. You might want to ask about a 12 volt battery for a first generation Insight in that forum.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.