Auto stop circuit. - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Go Back   Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum > 2nd Generation Honda Insight Forum > Modifications and Technical Discussions

Insightcentral.net is the premier Honda Insight Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-14-2014, 10:41 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Auto stop circuit.

2011 Insight. I need to locate the circuit that runs the auto stop system on this vehicle, Specifically, I am after the wire that shuts off the engine in the auto stop mode.
cozumel2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-14-2014, 10:56 AM   #2 (permalink)

Welcome.

I want to know as well. I'd love a manual override for that function, mainly to make it last longer

I don't think it is as easy as tripping a wire though. The Insight seems to measure state of charge of both batteries, temperature and humidity of the air inside, and the settings of your climate control, gear lever and economy switch.
Eco on - lever in D or N - ventilation off - lights off - radio off - low moisture and nice temperature in the car => AutoStop for minutes on end.
Eco off - lever in S, R or P - A/C on - lights, radio, rear window and seat heater on - etc; => no AutoStop.

What was your plan, anyway?
RedDevil is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-14-2014, 10:58 AM   #3 (permalink)

Why?

If you want to keep it from auto stopping (like I do every time I drive the Insight) then simply switch to S instead of D. Vola' A/C during stops.

Also, the software updates (some 2011 do not have it) make auto stop last longer.

Last edited by egads; 04-14-2014 at 11:01 AM.
egads is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-14-2014, 12:17 PM   #4 (permalink)

My purpose is to shut off the HHO system during auto stop. I do not want to generate during a stop.
Old 04-14-2014, 12:45 PM   #5 (permalink)

Please define HHO system.
Curious mind want to know.

Willie
MaxIMA Battery (Serial #2), on 8/25/12 @ 301,000 miles
Another MaxIMA Battery, on 6/25/17 @ 399,252 miles
Use: 438,000 mi. @ 58.2 LMPG.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Willie Williford is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-14-2014, 01:11 PM   #6 (permalink)

HHO is a system designed to efficiently funnel money into the pockets of HHO system makers.

It's a hydrogen generator that lets you convert the 12v electricity you already used gas to make into hydrogen with less than 50% efficiency. Then you feed the hydrogen back into the engine!

Somehow thereby improving your gas mileage!

RIP 2000 Insight, 40k miles @ 69.2 mpg
2000 Insight, AKA "The Basket Case" or "The Go Pod" @185k miles @ 63.5 mpg
-IMAC&C, OBDIIC&C, Scott's aero panel, grid charger, cheapo sound system
samwichse is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-14-2014, 03:09 PM   #7 (permalink)

You are entitled to your opinion. Unless you have touched a match to the outlet hose, I do not think you are qualified to rant on the use of HHO. My pre-HHO mileage is well documented. Time will tell.
Old 04-14-2014, 03:45 PM   #8 (permalink)

Let's not dig into the subject whether "HHO" works or not. All you need to know is easy to find on the Internet if you google HHO.

But you cannot use the AutoStop indicator.
The Insight will not use fuel when it is in EV mode. The engine will turn but the valves remain closed and it does not take air. You need to stop the hydrogen generation then as well.

I think you need to look at throttle position; only generate when it is not in idle position.
Best would be to make it dependant on air intake volume, so it would be constant for the mixture.

(This does not mean that I claim it works, but regardless if it does or not it is best to do it well)

Last edited by RedDevil; 04-14-2014 at 03:49 PM.
RedDevil is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-14-2014, 06:10 PM   #9 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

Unfortunately there isnt a wire for auto stop. Since you are going to run a secondary circuit that runs with the engine running or consuming fuel I suggest tapping either the yellow black injector wires or part of the ignition system. The ignition system may still fire while the engine is spinning in EV mode as well as fuel cut off, so the injector wires would be a better bet.

Auto stop is programmed into the ecu and it is depended on several factors. It you want to disable auto stop then that could be an easier hack.

Cobb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-15-2014, 11:39 AM   #10 (permalink)

I am going to try a micro "sail" switch that should activate when air is drawn in. In theory, it should do exactly what I want. Stay tuned for updates and mileage reports after about 500 miles.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in