Wiring diagram ZE2 Installing Day runnin lights - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Go Back   Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum > 2nd Generation Honda Insight Forum > Modifications and Technical Discussions

Insightcentral.net is the premier Honda Insight Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-16-2014, 10:13 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Wiring diagram ZE2 Installing Day runnin lights

Hello Everybody,

I signed up here after reading many posts. I bought my Insight ZE2 last December and i have the Comfort Trim.

I want to install daytime running light. Here in Switzerland it is mandatory to use either DLR or the Low beams since 1.1.2014.
When my low beams are switched on the dashboard lighting will turn to night mode which is annoying. I am also lazy to turn on the low beams every day, until now i was lucky and avoided a fine. Also i hope the auto stop will last a little longer with turned off low beams.

I saw i few threads here considering DLR, unfortunately most do not comply with European regulations.

To comply with the regulations the DLR need to be running as long as the car is running. The usual aftermarket DLR just sense the voltage and if it higher than 13.V they consider the engine is running. Obviously it is not working for hybrids and cars with start stop.

So i bought Philips Guide DLR which have an input for the Ignition. To keep things easy i want to tap the ignition signal in the motor compartment. Is the ignition signol on during auto stopp? Is there a wiring diagram available for download or can anybody tell me where i can easily tap the ignition or ACC wire.

With best Regards
MattCH is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-16-2014, 05:10 PM   #2 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

Auto stop is flaky. Ive seen it work for as short as a second to 7 minutes.

If you need to have the higher state of charge for your DRLs to work then you can disable the ELD or 12 volt inhibit wire in the IMA system.

Best wire I can recommend to tap is either the accessory wire or a few others from under the dash.

Cobb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-16-2014, 05:28 PM   #3 (permalink)

Hi Cobb

Thanks for the answer

All i need is a wire where i can tap either the accessory or ignition state in the engine bay. Means ACC or IGN =12V my DRL will light up.

In my cars documentation i do not have the wire schematic. And the only download i found is for the insight 1.

If i really have to tap it from the dashboad i can find the places.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-16-2014, 06:05 PM   #4 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

Ill double check, but I believe the tappable stuff under the hood is for the ac in the black boxes you see near the starter battery.

Plan B maybe able to tap a wire to the ecu that sits upside down behind the starter battery.

Cobb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-17-2014, 12:20 AM   #5 (permalink)

Does anyone have the electric manual? Daytime running lights are standard in the U.S. Didn't someone around here say that the Insight daytime running lights were the high beams on a lower voltage circuit, thereby making them dimmer?
egads is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-17-2014, 02:17 AM   #6 (permalink)

@egads

Yes this is true for the US Model. In Europe there are other Regulations. The dimmed high beams are not allowed here.
Even the technical standards in Europe are the same the rules are not. E.g. Switzerland requires a DLR or low beam on all time, but Germany does not.
Old 04-17-2014, 02:41 PM   #7 (permalink)

Default Its Done

So I fixed it today.

I connected it to Fuse in teh engine bay as described here https://www.insightcentral.net/forums...tml#post381617
Thanks to user alxdc

Here a few photos. Hopefully it will comply with the regulation as i had to take advantage of all tolerances. So no guarentee on that. Also there are better spots to fix the light but i didn't want to cut opening in the front bumper. So only the decoration under the blinkers are affected.

Philips Guide LED DLR unboxed

Control box opened

I used a wire to pull the cable from fron to the larger openening under the car, then use another wire to draw i to the top.

With light on it really looks ok.
Standing just in front it doesn't look nice at all. This will be improved soon.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fixingreceptable.jpg (37.8 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg ControlBoxOpen.jpg (61.5 KB, 85 views)
File Type: jpg PhilipsGuideUnboxed.jpg (76.6 KB, 84 views)
File Type: jpg Wireing.jpg (103.7 KB, 85 views)
File Type: jpg Done.jpg (128.8 KB, 85 views)
Old 04-18-2014, 12:22 AM   #8 (permalink)

Your DRLs don't look bad at all!

Noticed that it's very green there in the background! Looks like Summer already. What part of Switzerland? We don't have leaves on the trees here yet. Will still be a while, perhaps a couple of weeks at the earliest if we are lucky!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Foresight is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-18-2014, 06:12 AM   #9 (permalink)

Hi Foresight,

I have to alter the position a bit as i need a minumum distance of 40mm to the blinker.

I live on the lake of Zurich. We had a warm winter cherry and apple blossom are almost over. But for Easter winter gives a short come back with snow comming down as far as 900 metres over sea level.
Old 04-18-2014, 05:17 PM   #10 (permalink)

Is there room to put your DRLs under the license plate area in the grill? Would that location comply with the regulations for DRLs in your country? See picture...

Wow! That is an early Spring! You live in one of my favorite regions on the planet. Apple blossoms over there were usually not out until May, as I remember?

I met quite a few skiers from the UK who came over to ski at one of our local ski areas this year. They all said that skiing was not as good as usual in the Alps and decided to come over here on their ski vacation.

We didn't get that much snow on our "mountains" this Winter. Had a lot of cold air, but the big snow storms went mostly to our south. The coast of Maine got more snow than the mountains this year.

Luckily our ski areas make snow, so they did put down a good layer for base and the cold air helped us to keep the little snow that actually fell. December and January conditions were mostly ice. Not too much fun, but it got better in February and March. Still a tad cool over here.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Foresight is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Location (Required)
Where you live
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in